• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

what are the numbers that aren't allowed on NHL jerseys?

patri©k

TRIBE Member
I know that players cannot sport the number 0 and there's also (from what I can remember) another number that cannot be worn.

any idea... or am I just cracked out thinking this?

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Rule 13 Composition of Team

1. A Team shall be composed of 20 players (18 skaters and two goalkeepers as per Rule 15 (a)(c)(d) - Players in Uniform) who shall be under contract to the Club they represent.
  2. Each player and each goalkeeper listed in the lineup of each Team shall wear an individual identifying number at least ten inches (10") high on the back of his sweater. Sweater numbers such as 00, 1/2 (fractions), .05 (decimals), 101 (three digit) are not permitted. In addition, each player and goalkeeper shall wear his surname in full, in block letters three inches (3") high, across the back of his sweater at shoulder height.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SJN

TRIBE Member
tobywan said:
Possibly 99...I thought that one was retired league wide.
I don't think it was retired leaguewide....it was retired by the Oilers and Kings I think (not sure about NYR and St. Louis)....but, officially, it's available on other teams. Having said that, a player would have to be pretty ballsy to bust out a 99 (or for a team to accept the request), so I don't think we'll see it for a long time.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
SJN said:
I don't think it was retired leaguewide....it was retired by the Oilers and Kings I think (not sure about NYR and St. Louis)....but, officially, it's available on other teams. Having said that, a player would have to be pretty ballsy to bust out a 99 (or for a team to accept the request), so I don't think we'll see it for a long time.
That is why a certain player is No. 66, as it is in bad taste to ever choose 99... I dont think we will see it in any of our lifetimes.

SJN

TRIBE Member
As I recall, Mario was already wearing #66 when he was playing for Laval in the QMJHL in 1981. If anything, it was a nod to Wayne's status as a youth prodigy, not his NHL success.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
tobywan said:
Possibly 99...I thought that one was retired league wide.

I can't find a direct link, but Bettman retired number 99 league-wide when Wayne retired. Only LA and Edmonton have banners up representing those numbers.

I don't think its been done for Mario (yet), but its common sense to not choose it.

philly

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
I can't find a direct link, but Bettman retired number 99 league-wide when Wayne retired. Only LA and Edmonton have banners up representing those numbers.

I don't think its been done for Mario (yet), but its common sense to not choose it.
not a direct link but a quote from the NHL website talking about the enty draft.

"Gretzky came into the NHL with an unconventional number, 99, which is now retired League-wide"

2005 Entry Draft

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

tonep

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:

are you sure NYR dont have a banner up????

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories