• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What are the best needles for spinning breaks?

beaker

TRIBE Member
you buy needles based on sound quality, brand name, and how cool they look. ;) and i believe some are better for scratching/backcueing than others. but they don't design needles specifically for breaks.

some djs prefer to cart around their own set of needles to gigs because they take proper care of them and know they can be relied upon.

when i bought my decks i got a pair of stanton trackmasters. i found them to be really hard on my records and it was too easy to nick and scratch them (i like to spin when i'm drunk). i switched to cheaper cartridge-style needles to fix this problem.

if i had the cash i would get a pair of ortofons. they sound great and there's something slick about the way they sit in the groove of the record.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hipsterave
which model would you recommend?
i think the blue ones are the "DJ" series and are the most moderately priced. get ellipticals because they're easier on your records. do you scratch? the red ones are their scratch model (and they're spherical which is better for scratching).

you could go for the super expensive ones if you're looking for better sound quality. but i think realistically, as a dj, half the time you're not even listening to the record that's playing so what's the point? if you do go for more expensive ones, at least try to compare two different models to see how much of a difference you can make of it.

my friend had a pair of the nightclubs and hasn't replaced the tips in over five years. he takes good care of his setup and they still sound great.

Lestat

TRIBE Member
i use the shure m447's and they work super good for me. they NEVER skip, so if youre doing any kind of scratching theyll work good for you. not sure how they compare to other needles for record wear though cause they are the only kind of needles ive ever used.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by beaker

my friend had a pair of the nightclubs and hasn't replaced the tips in over five years. he takes good care of his setup and they still sound great.

He should REALLY change thoughs... they are only good for a max of 2-3 years... with heavy use... even if they sound good to you... they still need a change... they wear down..

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lestat
i use the shure m447's and they work super good for me. they NEVER skip.
agreed. great sound quality too. i had stanton 605's before. they were great for sound quality and durability, but not for scratching.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Electrician
He should REALLY change thoughs... they are only good for a max of 2-3 years... with heavy use... even if they sound good to you... they still need a change... they wear down..
yeah they obviously don't sound as good as when he got them. but it's still pretty impressive.

kick

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
if you'll be doing lots of backcuing or trying to scratch your best choice is to go an eliptical stylus.
I think its the other way around...an eliptical stylus will wreck the track as its hugging it and shize, the back and fourthy will wear the vinyl down... or something.

Eliptical stylus' have kick-arse sound output though, cause there is more contact with the track..more info.

Perfect for the "Dj Who Doesn't Do Much in a Big Club a la Paul Oakenfold"

^^unessessary, but I couldnt resist.

If you not looking to spend a lot, get the Stanton 520s. They'r great for scratching, solid as the 500s and nearly as cheap! (about $89 for a pair)

wow, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by kick
I think its the other way around...an eliptical stylus will wreck the track as its hugging it and shize, the back and fourthy will wear the vinyl down... or something.

Ya I think you might be right.... the two kinds of stylus are eliptical and spherical.

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
I have the Shure m447s. They're great! Pretty high output too, for a spherical stylus. Sticks to vinyl like a tongue to a frozen pole.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Ortofon's all the way.

If you want to do a lot of scratching then definetly their red "scratch" model or the silver "pro".

If you are looking for sheer sound quality and durability, then you have to go with the yellow "niteclub" model.

Ortofon's are pricey but worth it. The cheapest pair are the blue ones but I still think they sound better than Stantons.

jeremy - my deuce pennies- jive

TheDirtBikeKid

TRIBE Member
Best needles are the Shure M447's or the Ortofon Gold.
Both are great for skratching as well as little wear on your records + the output is amazing.
Every time I have come on after a Dj using anything else and they say something like" the tables are Fu@#ed", I just put on a pair of the above and voila. Also the sound is much warmer....
Dave
P.S. Have fun tonight!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Willar X
ortofons... the OM's have been working wonders for me...
... just ask Turtle.. :D
I concur with Willar. I also have the Ortofon Scratch. Great sound quality and tracking ability.