• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

WESTWORLD on HBO

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Alex, what were your thoughts on the show "Lost"?

Many of your arguments about bloat or fluff can be applied similarly to Lost, and that show is typically brought up in the conversation of greatest shows of all time.

I only watched one or two episodes of LOST so can't comment on it. Someday i will watch it all.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
121327.gif

I don't know if any of you are watching Humans, a much lower budget Sci Fi TV series. Humans does androids better IMO and are handling the issue of androids becoming aware on much deeper levels and in a multifaceted way.. There are of course violent killer androids in Humans, but also introspective and empathetic ones as well. There is a side story where they are deciding if Synths are alive or not (for legal purposes), Also, the female androids are way hawter. The android uprising is just getting started!

They are are also creating interesting tangential concepts like the subculture of people who pretend to be androids or identify as androids as a form of protest against the treatment of androids, or as a form of protest against their own treatment in society.

The there are the usual tropes: whether or not it is a bad thing to have sex with androids, to love an android, and on a deeper level, what that would do to family structure. And of course extremely rich people who want to perpetuate their lives by transferring their consciousness into androids.

The androids are more human in Humans, but they are also more synthetic too.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Two totally different concepts.

One utilizes Androids in daily life and are essentially commodities for anyone that can afford it ( not so expensive, and seemingly middle class often have them from what i remember )

The other is about World Parks where only it seems the RICH & WEALTHY can afford to visit and experience ( Felix stated that even though he worked at the park , he couldnt afford to attend ), the android build quality, programming and complexity is also done very differently, and there is people trying to remove the monopoly of the androids existence in parks alone, and to potentially bring them to the public, etc, we still dont know, not there yet :p

Totally different scenarios and logic to the shows, and just because one appeals to you more than the other, doesnt discount what the other does.

Moreover Humans is in its second season, and I watched the Swedish version first with subtitles and it was by no means a fast paced show, so its had more time to actually bring to light the topics at hand.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I bet Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins were expensive. The story was written before they knew if the show would do well so likely they didn't budget those salaries in season 2 except as maybe occasional guests.

Now that it is a hit who knows.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I really enjoyed it too, but found it too slow. The whole 'Wyatt' aspect was a bit weak.

I hope they totally abandon this setting and switch to Samurai World or something equally exciting.

praktik

TRIBE Member
They should do a Time Travelling Bong experience with westworld robots.

Salem - Prehistoric times - orgies in greece

good times

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Well on its nose it seems like it has no explanation. But when you look at the original movie "Westworld" which was followed by "Futureworld", it implies that there are multiple theme parks and narratives. I think the samurai fighting scene was alluding to that. I thought there was a point in one of the episodes where another theme park was referenced (like Futureworld). Either way the samurai scene was meant to imply that there are other parks and themes... which gave the writers lots of space to work if they're renewed for a second season and they didn't want to feel stuck with Deloris and the man in black.

While I found the show entertaining, I found it slow and some of the actors were just boring. I predicted that Billy was the younger version of MiB, but I didn't care.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I hadn't heard any discussion about this show in a while and suspected it had lost its luster with viewers. I watched the second season last night and it just seemed like was all hat and no cattle.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Loved almost every ep this second season - I was pretty much enthralled.

All the table setting in season 1 really paid off

Last nights finale was sublime, and very exciting.

Zahn Mclarnon and Peter Mullan were hefty additions to the cast this year who absolutely delivered.

I guess its all in the eye of the beholder - looking forward to where this goes next year since this team has it right on almost every level now, IMO

One of those shows with deep layers and shallow ones - all interacting - i found myself particularly intrigued by the philosophical layers this year.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
there was one episode I thought was drawn out and completely unnecessary: The one that was almost all backstory for Akecheta. All the notes had already been hit with other characters. That entire episode could have been done in 5 minutes and then move on with the story. i was actually pretty annoyed as everything had been amazing up until that. Don't get me wrong it was beautifully done but I don't think it moved anything forward and that character did not need a fleshed out backstory that was painfully slow and drawn out.

praktik

TRIBE Member
there was one episode I thought was drawn out and completely unnecessary: The one that was almost all backstory for Akecheta. All the notes had already been hit with other characters. That entire episode could have been done in 5 minutes and then move on with the story. i was actually pretty annoyed as everything had been amazing up until that. Don't get me wrong it was beautifully done but I don't think it moved anything forward and that character did not need a fleshed out backstory that was painfully slow and drawn out.

Ah see we LOVED that one

but we're big fans of the actor

CiG

TRIBE Member
Everytime they need the plot to progress another person will be a cylon err. host and or the storytelling will add a timeline lol. Easy to ignore if you enjoy it.