• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

WESTWORLD on HBO

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
After watching the first episode I am kind of let down. It looks to me that this will become HBO's Groundhog Day... I will watch next week anyway, to see if it gets better.

Stop Bill C-10

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Really?

i thought it was pretty wicked start to finish!

Well maybe I believed the hype too much and expected more. The one thing I can say is that it looks like they spent a lot of $$$ on it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I guess i liked the performances, the dialogue - we were moved by a few scenes.

Even went back to it today to watch key moments again!

Different strokes...;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Well, I can see what she's saying and she sure does fluff the show up nicely. Kind of reminds me of that art student/volunteer who came up to my girlfriend and I at the POWERPLANT who spent a good half hour explaining what the artist meant by folding up pieces of fabric and putting them in stacks on the floor of the gallery. Still, I am going to watch next week see where the show goes.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I also think we are from two ends of the spectrum: i am easygoing and charitable viewer who enjoys a LOT Of things ive seen you comment on negatively. You are a lot more critical and seem to enjoy less content, or maybe you revert and enjoy the criticism if the content isn't quite doing it for ya. All good. To each their own!

That said, I'm not having "work at it" here with Westworld - i think the first ep oozed quality! And I had high expectations after seeing the trailer and after viewing the original recently - so it wasn't a matter of expecting nothing and being surprised, i had set a high mental bar and was so pleased to see them exceed it!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Had not seen a single trailer, had not gone in with any knowledge or expectations.

Really enjoyed, the setting, the tech, the concept, the feel, the interactions.

Cast well. Musical score is fantastic. Very excited to see where they take this.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just wish there would be more original concepts and stories and not remakes of previous movies and TV shows. With the kind of money they are pouring into marketing, actors, CGI and other things for Westworld TV, you would think they they'd be able to come up with an original TV idea. I guess most of the people watching this have not seen the original movie, so it is 'all new' to them, but why do we need so much derivative TV and movie entertainment and less original? Science fiction is all about the original, and especially about challenging the past and the present.

While Westworld may turn out to be the most amazing thing on TV ever (until Westworld 3,4,5, and 6), I think it highly unlikely, given the history of the remakes that have been spooged all over our TV and movie screens in recent years. My feeling is that this was a pet project of some Hollywood executive whose favorite movie was Westworld back in the day, and was sold to the financial backers as being of lower risk because it had already been done before.

Even the music in this show was derivative - while I enjoyed it, why not step out on a limb and create new original tracks for this show? Maybe they are afraid people in general are not smart enough to grasp or appreciate original music and original story concepts and instead need some kind of familiarity to latch onto...

SciFi creators should have license to push boundaries very far. That's what makes great and groundbreaking science fiction IMO.

praktik

TRIBE Member
The Expanse, Dark Matter - I'm liking new properties on Sci Fi lately.

At least they're trying!

Dark Matter is a blend of what I liked about Babylon 5 with some fresher stuff mixed in, and maybe a bit less ambition in the scope. But we'll see where things go I think its clear season 3 is going to bring out more of the "fate of the universe" type stuff!

praktik

TRIBE Member
So ya, totally with you on the "new properties" thing. I'll watch the next Star Wars or Star Trek stuff, but I won't be excited about it, really.

The thing about Westworld is that its not as if the original concept had been "played out", unless you look at stuff like I, Robot, Terminator as works similar enough to count as extensive exploration of the concept of robots becoming human like. Heck Brent Spiner could talk your ear off about that too.

But from the Westworld universe particularly, there was that one movie - and it was done long enough ago that maybe a treatment in series form with modern sensibilities is actually taking an old concept and really, more than other old properties, making something new.

I don't think we've had the best Westworld we can have yet.

I don't think I could say the same for Star Wars/Trek

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The Expanse, Dark Matter - I'm liking new properties on Sci Fi lately.

At least they're trying!

Dark Matter is a blend of what I liked about Babylon 5 with some fresher stuff mixed in, and maybe a bit less ambition in the scope. But we'll see where things go I think its clear season 3 is going to bring out more of the "fate of the universe" type stuff!

Also a big fan of Dark Matter.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
My opinion on current Sci Fi shows.

• Killjoys - its entertainment fluff sci fi, following a 2 season story arc that has played out not great but not terribly. Not huge production, but not again terrible.
  • Dark Matter - i rate this higher than Killjoys in production value, find it sticks to the more traditional episodic , with a consistent plot that they have followed. I think i like it more than killjoys but not 100% sure.
  • Colony - I feel like this is a better version of Falling Skies, less fucking music montages and feel good moments, and a better take on alien occupation of earth.
  • 12 Monkeys - Its possibly the worst show listed on the page here. Its hard to watch unless you want to fall asleep. i was hoping it would get better , it hasnt. Not compelling at all really compared to the movie.
  • Mr Robot - Modern Day Hactivism, not REALLY sci fi , more exploring the state of the world we live in, first season was solid, second so far has been meh. I will finish it before deciding whether its still going to be worth watching.
  • Dominion - I cant really call is strictly sci fi as its more on the order of high fantasy with post apocalyptic sci fi writing. Its many peoples guilty pleasure.
  • The Strain - Solid , doing something different, not pulling punches, solid production and filmed in toronto. Cant complain, but its good, not AMAZING to me.
  • The Expanse - Best sci fi on TV currently. Best production value, plot, story line and arc, i wanted to watch it non stop and couldnt wait for the next ep, and cast really really well.
  • West World - REALLY hoping this is up there with the Expanse. I feel like it can and will be equal in production value, solid casting, and has so much they can do with it. I hope that it achieves that captivation and allure without giving away where its headed.
Not sure if i missed anything noteworthy. But just my thoughts on the current offerings in the market.

Last edited:

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
After second ep im definitely enjoying this show. Loving the pace the story is unfolding, might rewatch it to see if there is things i didnt pick up on last night.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Casting is amazing. Really this show comes down to performances and they nailed it with actors capable of complex and difficult performances.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya - its crazy when you think some of the coolest stuff is really just two actors sitting on a chair, talking to each other

but they pull it off!