• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

West8 Waterfront (Dutch Design Team)

aether

TRIBE Member
This was just announced as the waterfront winner.

http://www.towaterfront.ca/dbdocs/446a4425175d8.pdf

I must admit I cringed a little at the floating maple leaf at first, but there's a lot of interesting elements to this. some great ideas.

edit: just heard on the cbc - the floating maple leaf part has been given the thumbs down.

Last edited:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
If you look at the overhead plans they show among other things what looks to be the ellimination of the Guvernment/Koolhaus complex and condos in its place.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
I kind of like the maple leaf. It's different. People in Toronto hate new and different things, like, the new ROM, OCAD, etc...

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
that pdf broke my computer twice.

stupid pdf.

but i love the plan (as i understand it from the other links posted by people in this thread). i lived in toronto for over 7 years and very very very rarely went down to the waterfront - there was simply no real point unless you live right beside it. i always found that a tragedy.

one of the things i love about ottawa is how there is water everywhere (it's annoying to try to get thru the city sometimes because of it, but so pretty, and life affirming). but in toronto - i was generally surprised to see the water - i would often sort of forget that it's even there.

i hope this actually happens.

aether

TRIBE Member
actually, the maple leaf itself (not the shape) is pretty interesting. lillypad garden used for filtration as i can tell from the pdf. with a massive boardwalk around it and a restaurant. the maple leaf was just kinda kitschy, and i guess that's why it was axed. i wonder how much of this they'll keep, there's some pretty interesting ideas for cleaning up sewer discharge/runoff/etc. but they look like they'll take a lot more work to implement than just the boardwalk idea.

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
Yah for me buying a condo on the Harbourfront! But I'll believe it when I see it. Looks like a huge project.... And EXPENSIVE!

vox

TRIBE Member
i like the undulating walkways, but it still seems (from the pictures anyway) to be very condo/commercial heavy. right now the only reason i go to the harbourfront is for outdoor concerts and the powerplant gallery. and the general design doesn't feel very "neighbourhood" like.

from the pictures, i doubt it'd be enough to make me want to stroll up and down the harbourfront, unless they incorporated more retail/commercial/restaurants, etc that weren't attached to condos and the like.

vox

TRIBE Member
i also think they should have done a profile of a beaver bust instead of the maple leaf. that would've been awesome.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
i whole-heartedly imbrace this plan. i've been waiting for toronto to do something bold and architectually interesting with it's waterfront.

b

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Looks good to me. I like the fact that the no-mans land between Bathurst and Jarvis woud be addressed. Unfortunately I doubt it'll ever happen. The real version will likely be a few trees and maybe a bike lane along the side of Queens Quay.

I think one of the smartest components of this plan is cutting Queen's Quay from 4 lanes to 2 -- it gets so little traffic to begin with, and then idea of the streetcars running directly beside a walkway seems far more user-friendly. Let's see if this actually happens.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I guess I'm the only person who liked the maple-leaf shaped board walk with a wetland/marsh and filtration system built in.

I think the idea is great actually, maybe the maple leaf shape was not great, but the concept is truly unique. I would love to go see something like that, to rollerblade or walk around that boardwalk.

edit: seeing something like this makes me even more excited at the prospect of buying a condo in the downtown core. I'll be watching for the condo developments that pop up along the eastern edge of this development. Hopefully I can afford to buy in pre-construction and then reap the benefits of having lakefront property.