• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Weird WinXP crap

~atp~

TRIBE Member
k. I use thunderbird email client. I have three physical connections on my laptop, 1 is an ethernet LAN port, 2 is a wireless puppy, 3 is a phone jack. I also have a VPN connection (that I'm not using right now) for work-related stuff.

Right now, at home, i'm connected to the internet via the ethernet lan port. my browser (firebird) works great. For some reason, whenever I fire up thunderbird and it tries to connect, a connection window comes up asking me to log into my VPN. If I cancel, the thunderbird email client responds that it cannot connect.

So I tried a few things. First, I deleted the VPN account, just to see what would happen. Now, thunderbird doesn't connect at all. I've also rooted through the thunderbird settings, and there's nothing that allows me to configure interfaces, etc.

Finally, I checked the "network connections" window, went into the "advanced" options, and configured the order of my connections such that the first one windows checks is my lan interface.

But no luck.

It's a weird problem...I think windows is the culprit. But I'm not a windows guru. Poo on windows.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
ok, here's an easier question:

do you guys/gals have a favourite email client? ...with exception to MS products.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
ok, here's an easier question:

do you guys/gals have a favourite email client? ...with exception to MS products.
I want to use thunderbird to replace outlook express but am going to wait until it matures a bit...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
Is your VPN client a shim or a virtual interface?
virtual adapter.

but, I *just* figured out the problem...dns errors...imap hostname got all screwed up...it's fixed now though. so thunderbird works again. :)

...balzz, do you think that a shim is generally more "secure" than a virtual adapter? ...i think winxp defaults to a virtual adapter, right?

Originally posted by deep
I want to use thunderbird to replace outlook express but am going to wait until it matures a bit...

Yah...it's only at v0.4, but already the thing works without a hitch...not "full-featured" like many of them, but slim, configurable and cross-platform. Also has great security policies and a nifty "adaptive" spam filter. ;)

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
...balzz, do you think that a shim is generally more "secure" than a virtual adapter? ...i think winxp defaults to a virtual adapter, right?
Different VPN clients work differently...the built in MS PPTP/L2TP client is a virtual adapter, Cisco VPN client used to be a shim but is now a virtual adapter. I think the Nortel contivity client is also a virtual adapter now. I haven't done any comparisons between the two in the context of security, but a virtual adapter is a lot more convenient when running apps so it's my preference.

AVE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
good idea. i used thunderbird for a while, and there were a few headaches. All mail that was deleted came back every time you logged on, so your inbox would be full with 20 of the same email. I ended up having to go to my sympatico mail on the sympatico website, and delete all my mail so that it wouldn't keep showing up in my inbox. very frustrating.

i ended up scrapping it and going back to outlook express when i got my new comp.

still using firebird though(and will never use anything else)

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AVE
good idea. i used thunderbird for a while, and there were a few headaches. All mail that was deleted came back every time you logged on, so your inbox would be full with 20 of the same email. I ended up having to go to my sympatico mail on the sympatico website, and delete all my mail so that it wouldn't keep showing up in my inbox. very frustrating.
That's not a bug...just a misconfiguration...

Or at least, I would assume so, since I'm not experiencing those problems. :)