• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

weird sexual undertones in Tide commercial

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Okay, has anybody seen that TV ad for Tide with Frebreeze where this girl is walking in slow motion down a line of other girls (like 12 year olds) and they're all wearing socker uniforms. The girls are staring at her and smiling as she walks past. She sits down on the bench and the girls on either side of her grab her shirt and sniff it, then look right at her and smile. Then it cuts to a scene of some man opening the door (presumably the girl's father) and the girl runs through, and has she does i *think* he grabs her shirt and smells it and smiles. And then he looks out and all the other girls are standing at the doorstep with their shirts in their hands, wanting him to wash them with Tide with Febreeze.

Is it just me or does this commercial strike anybody else as giving off an initial lesbian tone and then settling into something vaguely pedophilic and creepy?

I mean, i don't think i described the commercial very well, but if you've seen it, you might know what i'm talking about. Anybody?

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
I took it as a bunch of little pre tarts liking the smell of a girls shirt.

Girls like things that smell good.
well i know that that's what it's supposed to be about, but i couldn't help thinking that it was kinda creepily sexual somehow. i dunno. :confused:

maybe i'm just a gutter-minded individual.

there was a taco bell commercial from a few years back where it was this weirdly cropped shot of someguy sitting onthe couch (i can't remember the details now), and one of his hands was out of the shot presumably sitting on his lap. He was also making some strange grunting noises...

Apparently the ad people didn't see the sexual undertones in it but when they tested it with their primary target market (teen boys) they found the boys all thought the dude was masturbating so they had to re-edit it. Don't ask me how i know that.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
The dad doesn't sniff the shirt when she gets home, they show him washing/spraying it with Febreze.

There are absolutely no sexual undertones in this commercial. Would you have said the same if they showed a mom washing the shirt? It's sad that as soon as you see a dad in a traditionally "mom" role, you think it's creepy with sexual undertones.

And about the girls, don't you remember freakin out about perfume and body spray and smelling good when you were that age? Girls sharing Calgon Hawaiin Ginger in the change room right before practice.

You're still high from last night, aren't you?

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Michlerish
The dad doesn't sniff the shirt when she gets home, they show him washing/spraying it with Febreze.

There are absolutely no sexual undertones in this commercial. Would you have said the same if they showed a mom washing the shirt? It's sad that as soon as you see a dad in a traditionally "mom" role, you think it's creepy with sexual undertones.

And about the girls, don't you remember freakin out about perfume and body spray and smelling good when you were that age? Girls sharing Calgon Hawaiin Ginger in the change room right before practice.

You're still high from last night, aren't you?
am i that obvious? what gave it away? :-S

btw, i can't believe i didn't get to meet ya last night. i didn't even realize you'd be there. otherwise i woulda kept my eye out!

and no no, i think the only reason i saw sexual undertones with the dad was cuz of the first bit with the girls. and i've lost the ability to remember what it was like to be 13. tho when i had to think about it i do vaguely remember going to the body shop with my friends at the mall and sniffing all of the perfumes and oils and creams and such.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Soulster
well i know that that's what it's supposed to be about, but i couldn't help thinking that it was kinda creepily sexual somehow. i dunno. :confused:

maybe i'm just a gutter-minded individual.

there was a taco bell commercial from a few years back where it was this weirdly cropped shot of someguy sitting onthe couch (i can't remember the details now), and one of his hands was out of the shot presumably sitting on his lap. He was also making some strange grunting noises...

Apparently the ad people didn't see the sexual undertones in it but when they tested it with their primary target market (teen boys) they found the boys all thought the dude was masturbating so they had to re-edit it. Don't ask me how i know that.

get your fuck mind out of the gutter :p

Soulster

TRIBE Member
urgh... i knew i was going to regret posting this thread. now i look like a perverted maniac.

not really too far off the truth, i guess.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
ew fuck ev, i'm not like that. i found it disturbing not arousing!!

sigh... i'm way past the 5 minute deletey ability on this thread...

oh well... let that be a lesson to me. not EVERY thought that comes out of my mouth has to be posted on tribe.

i just figured it works okay for Mofo...

kat

TRIBE Member
haha if it makes you feel any better, when i saw that commercial i noted that the soccer team girls were all lusting after the smelly shirt girl.

..and i found it arousing not disturbing.

well..except for them being like 10.

actually that made it hotter.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
That Bounce ad where the kids are in school and Girl suggestively grabs Boy's shirt and purrs, "mmmn, i like your shirt" . well that boy was my little cousin who filmed this when he was like, 13. eww.
also he ddn't want to take his shirt off on TV cuz he was pigging out on the catered lunch all day.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Soulster
ew fuck ev, i'm not like that. i found it disturbing not arousing!!

sigh... i'm way past the 5 minute deletey ability on this thread...

oh well... let that be a lesson to me. not EVERY thought that comes out of my mouth has to be posted on tribe.

i just figured it works okay for Mofo...
I thought Soulster was down.....

Now it's just sick, sick, sick.....that comes to mind. I hope the authorities don't come and confiscate your hard drive. Anything else you need to let people on Tribe know about before we get the search warrant from the boys in blue?

Caz

TRIBE Member
DUDE

take down the coat hangers, remove the tinfoil hat and take two or three of something.

Call me later.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Toblerone Commercial

I had to resurrect this thread because I think I saw another commercial with a sexual undertone. This one doesn't involve children.....

It involves BLOWJOBS.

You know those Toblerone commercials with for the triangular shaped chocolate? Everyone knows that if you put the entire thing in your mouth the piece will definitely cause your cheek to "poke out". The commercials involve women.....one in an elevator....the other in a photo booth. Both women have just placed a piece of Toblerone in their mouths. Boy do they ever look cute with that littel triangle poking thier cheek out....

Mmmmm? That puffy cheek look, resembles somthing I've seen in a blue movie once or twice.

:0

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Most chocolate commercials feature only women... cause that's who buys the most chocolate.

I could swear I've seen a Toblerone commercial with a guy

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
quantumize, I think that guy doctor on Grey's Anatomy looks like you. I told my girlfriends, they all went crazy.