• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Weird Meat - not for the squeamish

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
all right. if you think you can stand it, check out this site:

weird meat

This guy is an american who is currently living and travelling around China. He has made it a sort of challenge for himself to eat the, well, weirdest meat he can find in his travels around the world. Bearing in mind, of course, that what is weird to us is obviously normal to other cultures.

examples of dishes: kudu jerky, chicken embryo, black bone chicken soup with bull penis ...

complete with pics of the dishes.

what is the "weirdest" meat that you've ever had? and where did you have it?

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Not really weird... but black bear is as wild as it's ever gotten in my belly.
Delcious too i might add.. It was a roast and more tender than beef.

Also, i expect that the bear was probably once quite adorable.. which added to the deliciousness.

I believe there is a direct correlation between the cuteness of a critter and how delicious it is.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
"Cebu, Philippines.

They're duck embryos, but there was a rumor going around today in Cebu that a vendor had been spotted selling "chicken balut", which my acquaintences agreed was a silly idea and just didn't taste as good as the duck ones. I can't be sure; we didn't see him tonight.

First you choose between 12 day, 16 day, and 18 day. The 12 day ones are just hard-boiled eggs with no embryonic development. The 16 day ones are further along but concensus was that these are just inferior to the king of balut -- exactly 18 days after being laid.

After you choose what kind you want, the vendor grabs them piping hot from the basket and passes you a little stool, salt, and a vinegar-onion sauce. You hold the hot egg and flick carefully but forcefully at the top of it with your middle finger. It cracks a bit and you gently remove a small hole from the top, so you can sip the savory broth before removing the whole shell. I agree that the 18-day one is better than the younger ones. You might come across some small chunkies but it's usually just eaten all the way through, in about 3 mouthful bites. You can see feathers, head, wings, and skeleton forming, but it's basically an extra-chewy easter egg. The flavor is savory and delicious; the texture satisfying. Match with a light pilsner beer.

If you're in Cebu City looking for the balut, I got mine from a street vendor at Fuente Osmena circle. He was really helpful and knowledgable, and proud of his product. The cool thing about traveling in the Philippines is that most everyone speaks English, so don't be shy to ask questions.
----
Addition: Found more info on balut. The eggs are from the "itik duck" which is native to the Philippines. Itik mother ducks are lazy so humans have to incubate them after the mother ignores them. "

swizzykrissy

TRIBE Member
I ordered pho from a cafe when I was in Hanoi, Vietnam..... and by mistake ordered beef tendons.... I read it (bad spelling on menu) as beef tenderloins.

what I got was chunks of actual tendons... and long stringy bits of ???

*shudder* I ate around it.

CO2

TRIBE Member
Nothing to weird for me. Im pretty maticulous in what I eat, and insects of any kind aren't on it.

Ox tail, cows tongue, pig feet & chicken feet are about the weirdest that ive ingested.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
Shark's Fin soup. So yummy, but Shannie always makes me feel so guilty every time I eat it.... so I only eat it with the grandparents.

Kiera

TRIBE Member
Duck in France and rabbit in Hungary. I know its not very *exotic* for the general population, but for me thats pretty fuckin' huge!

Oh yeah I used to eat liver when I was a kid too. *barf*

Stan

TRIBE Member
swizzykrissy said:
I ordered pho from a cafe when I was in Hanoi, Vietnam..... and by mistake ordered beef tendons.... I read it (bad spelling on menu) as beef tenderloins.

what I got was chunks of actual tendons... and long stringy bits of ???

*shudder* I ate around it.
What the fuck, dude. The tendon is the best part. And it's not really pho without the brisket and the tripe and the raw beef flank.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
My father is the hunting / gathering sort so i've had quite a range of meats in my lifetime. We grew up under the rules that we weren't allowed to say that we didn't like something without trying it at least once... and believe me, my dad made us try EVERYTHING:
Not so weird: venison / moose / beef tongue / kidney / chicken gizzards / frogs legs / chicken feet / goose / duck / rabbit
pretty weird: bear / eel / pig's feet / pork 'head cheese' / blood pudding (sausage) / pork brains

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Metal Morphosis said:
Not so weird: venison / moose / beef tongue / kidney / chicken gizzards / frogs legs / chicken feet / goose / duck / rabbit
pretty weird: bear / eel / pig's feet / pork 'head cheese' / blood pudding (sausage) / pork brains

yup had each and every one of those at least a couple of times

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Lemon Ants.

In the Amazon, there are ant..group...thingingies..that live in the trees. Find a bulge on the side of the tree, give it a tap, in seconds it's covered with ants. let a few crawl on to your hand and then pop 'em in your mouth. When you crunch them you get a very distinct shot of lemon flavour.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders