• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Weird Al Yankovic's new album is outstanding

acheron

TRIBE Member
The best Weird Al video is one where he doesn't actually appear in person.

His voice is bad enough.

I am pleased, however, that Robin Thicke gets half of the proceeds from this song.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JamesM

TRIBE Member
The next generation of the polka mashup:

A polka medley including the following songs:
"Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus
"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People
"Best Song Ever" by One Direction
"Gangnam Style" by Psy
"Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen
"Scream & Shout" by will.i.am featuring Britney Spears
"Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye featuring Kimbra
"Timber" by Pitbull featuring Kesha
"Sexy And I Know It" by LMFAO
"Thrift Shop" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz
"Get Lucky" by Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams

Maui

TRIBE Member
The best Weird Al video is one where he doesn't actually appear in person.

His voice is bad enough.

I am pleased, however, that Robin Thicke gets half of the proceeds from this song.
Not sure why that would make you pleased. You like that guy?

Someone mentioned in the comments to Weird Al's Tacky video that Bart Bakers parody of "Happy" was better. Well, here's his "Blurred Lines" parody. Pretty funny.

[YOUTUBE]J3twwafch4g[/YOUTUBE]

Primavera

TRIBE Member
He released two okay new parody tracks and suddenly the news here is "Weird Al Yankovic's new album is outstanding"

Dude, the S.E.O. baiting sometimes :/

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
He released two okay new parody tracks and suddenly the news here is "Weird Al Yankovic's new album is outstanding"

It is IMO if the rest of the tracks are that well put together. He is the king of pop music parody!

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
^^
hahah

Agreed. "Word Crimes" is a bit of a yawn and "Tacky" is just plain weak. The original Pharell video is too simple - Al's videos are always funniest when he's actually acting out elements of the parody.

The best piece he's done in the last decade, Donny Osmond ftw:

[YOUTUBE]N9qYF9DZPdw[/YOUTUBE]

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
But you get Jack Black!

don't get me started on Jack Black. A one-joke comedian who has far overstayed his welcome. Why he was hosting the Led Zeppelin tribute at the Kennedy Center is beyond my understanding. He's a crime against music.

Which is probably why he and Weird Al are working together at the moment.

I liked Weird Al back in the 1980's. When he had a moustache. What's the story there? Is it some weird condition that prevents him from regrowing it? Most musicians cut their hair short when they hit their fifties. Look at Michael Bolton. Weird Al did it wrong. I need that moustache to be able to respect him.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Don't get me wrong

I like Weird Al as much as the next guy, pretty sure I owned a copy of Alapalooza once.

but nothing he has ever done I would describe as "outstanding"

Led Zeppelin's IV is outstanding
a burrito can be outstanding
a blowjob can be outstanding
a sunset can be outstanding

but a Weird Al Yankovich album in 2014? no.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
UHF aged well - still worth watching IMO and the media commentary is as sharp today as it was then..;)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think his stuff reflects the current state of pop, which sucks in different ways at different points in time. Some see it as capitalizing on someone else's tracks (not like the originals weren't compiled from samples of other peoples's tracks or anything...), other see it as fluff. Somewhere, on some campus, there is a university course being taught on the music of Weird Al Yankovic and its relationship to modern culture.

Personally, I see it as a massively passive aggressive attack on pop artists under the guise of good nature'd fun.

I partied with the dude once at the Bamboo and can tell you that, (like me ;)), he is incredibly bright and likes wearing vintage Hawaiian shirts :)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
[YOUTUBE]USX3D3QHIhA[/YOUTUBE]

It is the conditioner microbeads that take it to the next level!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
UHF aged well - still worth watching IMO and the media commentary is as sharp today as it was then..;)
still one of my favorites. They played it on the movie channel last night I PVR'ed it in HD.

wikkid.

The new polka is still sort of funny, Obviously not as much as when we were kids though: