1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

WEEN @ Kool Haus 07/29/2010

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by sianspherica, Jul 30, 2010.

1. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

Fuckin awesome.

Been a ween fan since like 1997 and have never been able to see them, last night was my first time and it was bloody fantastic.

I was a little concerned seeing them as I don't know a lot of their material since The Mollusk, but they played tonnnns of great older tunes.

Long set, think they played for 2 hours and 45 minutes, maybe close to 3hrs even.

They played (in no order):

Take Me Away
    ReggaeJunkieJew
    Baby Bitch
    The Mollusk
    The Stallion - Part 3
    Let's Dance (David Bowie cover)
    Roses Are Free
    Buckingham Green
    Spinal Menengitis
    Mister Richard Smoker
    Piss Up a Rope
    Ocean Man
    She Fucks Me
    Mutilated Lips
    Dr. Rock
    The Going Gets Tough From the Getgo
    Push Th' Little Daisies
    You Fucked Up
    Bananas and Blow
    I'll Be Your Johnny On the Spot

+ maybe 10 more tunes I didn't know, huge set.

Highlights were probably Mutilated Lips, Baby Bitch, The Stallion, Buckingham Green.

Great show. Surprised at how much better a lot of tracks sounded live, the band are all solid musicians, Dean is pretty amazing on guitar live.

Loved it.

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

sad i missed this, I've seen them several times but the best one was after the country album they had support from some solid country studio guys and one guy on slide guitar nothing short of amazing and I hate country.

very entertaining live

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

was so happy to get out to this !

ma wife got me tickets for our 3 month wedding anniversary, and couldnt be happier.

TONS of people turned out, and one of the first things i noticed was that Jean Wean is def heavier, Mean Ween was about same Claude had shorter dreads, and Dean while putting on a bit of weight was just as rascaly and happy while laying out retarded licks on his git.

Sianspherica great list of tracks, David Bowie cover was great, when i saw them in 97 or 98 when the Koolhaus was the Warehouse, i remember them doing a improv track called Kareem Abdul Jabar, and Dean was using a talkbox, that show was also 4.5 hours and probably the best i have ever seen them. BUt last nights show, i loved the little changes and differences , extensions to tracks, there is nothing like a live show.

last night was pretty damn close though, when you found the right spot so the mids and lows werent strangling the highs and i could hear Jeans voice.

awesome show, really happy i got to be there, FIST PUMPING IN FULL EFFECT WITH BOOGNISH tattooed on my arm :)

and Kyfe, the only country i will ever listen to is from Ween's Country Album :cool:

Favorite Jam band of all time.

[jai]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  4. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

I forgot the cover they did of CSNY's "Ohio"

maaaaaaaan that was a good show

5. Incrimin8

Incrimin8 TRIBE Member

This was my third time seeing Ween and it was by far the best! The set was much more psychedelic than the last Toronto show back in 07. Some great jams mixed in with extended intro's made for some unique versions that I'll never get to hear anywhere again. And man was it hot in there! The ceiling was dripping on us, but it was good cause it was just crowed enough to pack the place, but not so much that you couldn't dance. Favs - Reggaejunkiejew, I'll be your Johnny on the spot and Piss up a Rope. The Bowie cover was a nice surprise!

These guys never disappoint!

I don't think mean ween has played with them since the early 90's, it was Dave Dreiwitz on bass. Gene is definately heavier, he's 40 now so maybe he's letting it go?

6. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Dave Dreiwitz was who they had when they played @ the cool house last time i saw them there as well, so i guess i thought he was mean ween at the time.

and yeah Gene Ween regardless of him letting it go( he was always a little rounder in the midsection) def hasnt hindered his performance abilities. :)

and i thought the 97 show was clearer sounding, not as high energy, but felt it was a little more thought out, rather than just a jam party, but i loved both for different reasons.

[jai]

7. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Had to skip this one after hitting up both the Black Mountain show last Friday and the Primus show the following Tuesday (with full on pit madness) I was pretty beat.

From the tracklist it looks like I didn't miss anything I haven't seen in the 10 or so times I have seen them play.

Best show I have seen has been the 5 hour show they did just outside Pittsburgh a couple years back. They had been on an 8 month hiatus and they just jammed so hard. Dean had to keep coaxing the drummer to keep playing :).