1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Weeds

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by ChROmE, Oct 12, 2005.

1. junglegirl

junglegirl TRIBE Member

shakey fist!

2. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

have a new ep just about downloaded.

To smoke, or not to smoke - that is the question. I am trying to cut back on my mid-week smoking, but really - after having two 3 hour lectures back to back, an episode of weeds + a smoke just seems like such a perfect way to relax.

3. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

i just dont think weeds is that great, it is alright, but nothin compared to rescue me

4. junglegirl

junglegirl TRIBE Member

JASON GET OUT OF THIS THREAD 7

5. basketballjones

i said i liked it, i just dont tink it is incredible...still better than 90% of what is on tv
    i also havent seen the last two eps so it might have picked up

6. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

The last EP or two seemed to be cramming a little too much in - and feeling a little improbable at the same time, but still all around a good watch. But, I think it was mostly trying to establish plot points/major character developments to push the rest of the season along.

But, when the rest of TV-land is "Dancing with the stars", "Celeb Duets", and "Picking Boxes" -- weeds is pure gold.

7. junglegirl

junglegirl TRIBE Member

8. basketballjones

dont even get me started on what is passing for tv these days:rolleyes: ch33se :rolleyes: ch33se ch33se ch33se cch33se

did i mentionch33se ch33se ch33se

9. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

Yeah well, I have a new love and her name is MTV's "Next". Take your Kiefer Sutherland and shove him, this is like legalized fucking prostitution.

10. SellyCat

SellyCat TRIBE Member

I love how this show just throws the most hardcore shit around like nothing.

Like that scene where the kid take a safety pin to a condom! I was like WTF!?!?! And they just leave it hanging like that. They do a good job of showing really tense sitations--with just a bit of comic releif--without necessarily really resolving it. I was surprised that the mother actually went to buy him a new car.

I love the step brother...and I love the Israeli girl who fucked him in the ass with a giant black strap-on even more.

She's extremely hot, like most Israelis.

11. Flashy_McFlash

Despite enjoying her in 90% of the show, I'm not quite sold on Mary-Louise Parker's facial reactions in tense situations. It seems like she's laughing inappropriately, but maybe that's natural, I dunno.

12. SellyCat

SellyCat TRIBE Member

I put it down to the show's writers being from Sex and The City. I got a "vaginal vibe" off the show right away, but I like it. And yeah, some of the reactions are too "easy" relative to how serious their situations are.

13. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Does Rescue Me have THIS.

NSFW + SPOILER

[​IMG]
    From EP 07, the hot Israeli chick.

14. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

A 'vaginal vibe', are you fucking kidding me? Is it because the show has a female protagonist?

The writing and plot archs in Weeds are so much more sophisticated and pointed than anything Sex and the City ever repped. If anything Jenji Kohan's work on Gilmore Girls was more 'vaginal' (and are you really using that descriptor?) than those one or two episodes of Sex and the City she penned.

Weeds isn't in a position to indulge in melodrama on a major scale than other hour long cable shows can, don't be expecting Mary Louise Parker to bust some Angels in America shit. If anything look to the grandaddy of dramedy programming, The Wonder Years if you want to better understand how difficult shifts are going to be handled.

As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of the awful season two premiere, Weeds has continued to show that it is some of the most daring, tightly acted and humbly poltical shows in recent years. Showtime continues to prove that it is them and not HBO that have the 'balls' when it comes to progressive cable programming.

15. SellyCat

SellyCat TRIBE Member

First of all, Sex and The City was one of my favorite shows. Second, the adjective "vaginal" was in no way negative--I'm sorry if you percieved it that way. I'm a huge fan of this show; I just think that at some points it's a little too light-hearted.

For example, they never deal with the son deliberately puncturing his condom in order to get his girlfriend pregnant--that's the height of immorality. The situation resolves itself with the girl having to go through the trama of having an abortion, while the son gets a brand new car. Obviously, he also gets his heart broke, but that was exclusively his own doing. I felt pretty disturbed by that whole situation.

I hope they deal with it at some point.

And seriously, that vaginal remark was totally innocent. When I saw the first few episodes of the first season, my intuition told me that it was written by a woman. And I was 100% right; not only by a woman, but by a woman who wrote for a particularly female-oriented show. And before you say that it wasn't "100% female oriented, because it had male fans", it's obvious that SATC was exclusively about women, even if men were treated pretty fairly and not characatured for the most part.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  16. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Do you think you can Survivor on an Island with Desperate Housewives and Flavor Flav?

17. jared k

jared k TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

the creator

18. basketballjones

no, it doesnt have bad tits
    it does have lots of sex, just they dont show much, which i do find odd

19. basketballjones

i choo choo choose suicide

20. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

Can someone give me a synopsis of last week's show? Missed it and need to catch up for tonight, thanks!

21. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

i'm not looking forward to next week's episode.

:|

in a mere, what, 17 epiodes (?) weeds has managed to jump a giant frickin' shark with a lazer beam attached to it's head over the MOON.

(for those who've seen the trailer for NEXT week's episode, you'll know what i'm talkin' 'bout.)

but i'll take the hot isreali broad for $1000, please, alex.

flashy - i LOVE MLP's facial reactions in tense situations! i can totally relate. it's almost as if she's doing the 'i can't even believe this is happening right now, it's so fucked up, i don't know whether to laugh or cry... this can't be my life' sort of reaction. totally emblematic of someone who's had SO much surreal shit to deal with in an unimaginably short amount of time - ie: constantly barely holding themselves together by a thread - only to have things keep on worsening with no signs of betterment in the near future.

22. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

What do you want? Some heavy-handed moralising in a show that is ostensibly about moral ambiguity?

Again, don't be expecting many Danny Tanner talks to conclude the epidoes here. There's lots of undercurrents and shit left unsaid that doesn't have to be wrapped in neat packages. One thing I really like about the writers is their ability to let things fester until the occasional breakdown occurs and fizzles, often with no resolution. It's part-in-parcel to the thematic crux of the show.

You thought that about Sex and the City? I pretty much felt the exact opposite. As for Weeds, I'd like to give Kohan and crew more credit than to keep playing the ol' heteroempowrred rich white bitch card (at least not without the dark twist that interogrates the archetype). I think Mary-Louise Parker in her Golden Globe post-award press interview after beating down another gaggle of entitled white skeezs--this crew repping Westeria Lane--said it best, "I guess my housewife was just a little more desperate".

23. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I'll keep my concession speech short: FUCK YOU

24. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

I'm about 3/4 through season 1 now and I'm really enjoying the show. Not the best show but it is a very interesting show.

In fact, I am finding myself watching more and more TV shows on DVD, and less and less actual broadcast TV.

Kevin Nealon's character is really heating up... "What do I know about running a bakery? I'm fucked on cornbread."

25. Flashy_McFlash

I think it might be a bit premature to break out the sharks with the lasers...The show's run into a bit of a rough patch because they're trying to get all of these stories dealt with at once. But that's just the way the plot is (remember how simple it was back in Season 1 when the operation was small? Those were the days).

I'll buy your explanation for her reactions. I guess it's important to note that she's kind of the glue that holds both her family and her 'team' together, so she kind of has to be composed.

And what happened to the Latino dealer? Wasn't he working with them at the end of season 1?