• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Weed dispensaries are everywhere!!!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

praktik

TRIBE Member
discombobulation = points!

ccf493ed82dfc4bddaec562d97d9fccf146090a42b90a3d36fb900d5820c0e1b.jpg

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Soooo anyway, Toronto Public Health's recommendations on how to deal with the broader situation: Agenda Item History - 2016.HL12.2

It's supposed to go to council in June where I suspect the dispensaries will be the bigger topic of debate.

The city will fuck it up. They couldn't get food trucks right for 5 or more years. Traffic lights are not synced (correct me if I am wrong). We have garbage collected differently in different parts of the city. The things that the city should allegedly be doing right are not happening, we cannot expect the city to do weed right. The free market has successfully worked for decades. Weed is better than even and cheaper than ever. The city will fuck this up with stupidity.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
The city will fuck it up. They couldn't get food trucks right for 5 or more years. Traffic lights are not synced (correct me if I am wrong). We have garbage collected differently in different parts of the city. The things that the city should allegedly be doing right are not happening, we cannot expect the city to do weed right. The free market has successfully worked for decades. Weed is better than even and cheaper than ever. The city will fuck this up with stupidity.

They will fuck up urging the feds to use an evidence-based public health approach in setting up a regulatory framework?

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
They are always asking for more money for "studies". Hasn't every aspect of weed been studied to death?

If you read what I posted, in the section on financial impact it states there is none. They are not asking for money. They are simply urging the feds to use an evidence-based approach that also seeks to reduce harm to legalization.

They also ask the feds to study the full range of health impacts, since studies to date have focused on chronic use and not occasional use.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I think he's referring to the fact that your posts in this thread are barely coherent and fully annoying.

Umm no try again. I posted that throwing away 1000 bucks vs. a $200 ounce of pot was stupid. Then a video as a joke about some cops that busted a head shop and proceeded to eat the pot wares. Then I was accused of claiming gmo's were unhealthy which I denied. What was incoherent or annoying about any of my posts?
You guys all got a hard on for me eh.

It's ok, I remembered who Videotron is, I called him out for being a douche to his cats one time on here, so he doesn't like me.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that Toronto Police are now writing warning letters to the landlords who have Weed dispensaries as tenants...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
here it is:

Toronto delivers warning shot to pot dispensaries
Toronto police served pot outlet landlords with letters Wednesday reminding them of their “obligations under the law”

By DAVID RIDERCity Hall Bureau Chief, and BETSY POWELLCity Hall Bureau
5:45 PM, Wed., May 18, 2016

The city’s crackdown on unlicensed pot dispensaries began Wednesday as Toronto police delivered warning letters to property owners across the city.

The letters are “designed to remind them of what their obligations are under the law,” and suggest possible consequences, Toronto Police Service spokesman Mark Pugash said Wednesday.

He wasn’t prepared to say how many letters were issued, but Toronto currently has more than 100 marijuana storefronts, surpassing Vancouver as the cannabis capital of Canada.

Those found guilty of contravening zoning bylaws could face fines of up to $50,000 for a corporation and $25,000 for an individual.

Ottawa has promised to legalize pot for recreational use and introduce a legalized regulatory framework. Currently, however, the only legal source of marijuana is that grown for medical purposes by licensed producers approved by Health Canada. Prescription holders can only receive their supply in the mail.

Although the government has done nothing to legalize marijuana yet, dozens of pot retailers have popped up around the city and supporters argue they should be left alone.

Nevertheless, the city says they’re breaking the law because selling pot “in this manner is not permitted under the federal regulations governing” medical marijuana, said Mark Sraga, director of investigations at Municipal Licensing and Standards.

The division is liaising with other enforcement agencies, including the TPS and other city divisions, to “undertake all appropriate enforcement efforts,” Sraga said in an emailed statement. An update “will be provided in the future.”

On Wednesday, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said his department is working with city hall and federal prosecutors to determine the “best course of action.”

“That is a grey area, we are waiting for the federal government to do what they need to do,” he said in an interview on CBC Radio.

While police are investigating complaints, there is a reluctance to lay any charges simply to have the cases tossed out of court once Ottawa proceeds with legalization, he said.

Toronto’s public health boss, meanwhile, wants strict federal rules on the sale and use of recreational marijuana when it becomes legal.

“Designing a regulatory approach for non-medical cannabis is complex,” Dr. David McKeown, the medical officer of health, said in a statement with a report released Wednesday.

“We are therefore urging the federal government to use an evidence-based public health approach that builds on the lessons learned from regulating tobacco and alcohol. This approach will help reduce potential health harms for the population as a whole.”

McKeown argues that, along with therapeutic benefits, marijuana can have health hazards including: the risk of impaired driving; exposure to cancer-causing chemicals; poor respiratory health; mental health impacts from “frequent and heavy use”; and impacts on adolescent brain development.

He wants Toronto’s health board to urge federal Health Minister Jane Philpott to ensure “strong government regulatory control” on: recreational marijuana’s availability; a minimum purchasing age; rules to minimize its promotion; strong impaired-driving policies; and restrictions on smoking pot in public places.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said his government will move next year to legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana.

Scarborough Liberal MP Bill Blair, Toronto’s former police chief and now Trudeau’s point man on modernizing pot laws, has talked about the need for strict regulation of the drug once it’s legal.

Mayor John Tory said the spread of pot shops is “verging on being out of control.” He has asked licensing division to explore ways of regulating pot businesses.

Vancouver and Victoria have introduced licensing fees and regulations that control pot shops’ proximity to schools, community centres and other dispensaries.

from The Star
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...lic-health-boss-wants-rules-on-legal-pot.html

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Has anyone actually complained about these shops?

All this bullshit is so much more of a hassle than just going to the black market. The longer they fuck with it, and the more rules they put on it, the more folks are going to stick with the black market even once it's "legal"

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yep - thats just the way its gotta be.

Took about 10 years for the black market in alcohol to subside from its levels during prohibition and remnant black markets in alcohol persist to this day (thats what dial-a-bottle and after-hours are, after all). This was certainly not a reason to resume prohibition but rather a reason to keep going further with legalization and loosening controls and taxes so as to destroy the incentive for organized crime to be involved.

Most people would gladly exchange the strong black market we have today for a scattered, tiny one.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Most people would gladly exchange the strong black market we have today for a scattered, tiny one.

What do you mean by this? its not like coke or heroin where the drug is controlled through geography limiting the suppliers. Your buddy, or your neighbour or your mom or anyone with a bit of space and some dirt can make pot. Some of them can do it quite well! And if I want I can pay 5 bucks for some carrots grown with love at the farmer's market, but I can't buy some pot grown with love from the same farmer.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
It will literally involve a letter saying please do this.

The only thing they should say is "19+ please". It may say 'please do this' but there will be more, there always is. They will recommend where shops can be, the creation of some sort of oversight board (more public service jobs), restrictions on types and strengths of products, who can sell it, "socially responsible pricing" a la LCBO, hours of selling and bunch of stuff I have not even considered.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Has anyone actually complained about these shops?

All this bullshit is so much more of a hassle than just going to the black market. The longer they fuck with it, and the more rules they put on it, the more folks are going to stick with the black market even once it's "legal"

Exactly.

It's amazing, on my street in midtown there are 10 rub and tugs in a 2 km stretch. Every hotel in the city has some sort of human trafficking occurring. The city profits from this.

praktik

TRIBE Member
What do you mean by this?

That a legal market is best for everyone - and pockets of black market activity aren't enough for most rational people to consider going back to prohibition.

Prohibition doesn't work, and people realize that most easily on pot and the polls have been saying a majority of Canadians have favoured and still favour it's end.

Im not sure what you're reading into my post but your digression on how easy it is to grow goes to ensuring we shouldn't control/tax the shit out of it. The fact people can easily grow their own means more will just go to that if we make it difficult to get and expensive to buy.

There's just a lot of eeyores in this thread bemoaning how we will "fuck it up" and how it isnt gonna fix everything on day 1 and how some black market activity will persist. BOOHOO. everything is shit!

Ya.

There's a bunch of pearl clutchers who are FRIGHTENED by what the fuck is happening with pot and they will ENSURE we don't land in the right place on day one. Taxes will be too high, controls will be too strict.

Its a process people!

We're gonna be tinkering on this legislation a long time before we get the right balance.

Last edited: