• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Weed dispensaries are everywhere!!!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Only because the average joe is an idiot.

[YOUTUBE]bYhTFz_SGw0[/YOUTUBE]

Mr anti capitalist everyone's a drone hope you die of cancer thinks that if you choose something tangible, that you can eat (or smoke) for something that has limited value outside of monetary worth you're an idiot?

If it's friday night and I'm sitting in my garage what is more useful to me?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Maui

TRIBE Member
Mr anti capitalist everyone's a drone hope you die of cancer thinks that if you choose something tangible, that you can eat (or smoke) for something that has limited value outside of monetary worth you're an idiot?

If it's friday night and I'm sitting in my garage what is more useful to me?

Please, don't be a typical capitalist and distort what I've said for your own gain. I've never once ever said I hope anybody gets cancer. However, you will in fact get cancer if you keep eating that terrible diet you're consuming.

If it's friday night and you can't wait until Saturday morning to go collect your thousand dollars and then possibly 5 ounces of weed, I'd say Rehab would be most useful to you.

praktik

TRIBE Member
You heard it here folks, stop eating tha damned GMOs - or else cancer is your own fault!!

gmokiller.jpg

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Please, don't be a typical capitalist and distort what I've said for your own gain. I've never once ever said I hope anybody gets cancer. However, you will in fact get cancer if you keep eating that terrible diet you're consuming.

If it's friday night and you can't wait until Saturday morning to go collect your thousand dollars and then possibly 5 ounces of weed, I'd say Rehab would be most useful to you.

For a guy that hates capitalism so much you're going to be screwed when it all comes falling down if you can't see the value of something useful vs the imaginary value of a commodity.

Your new name is maui wowi.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Is that satire that you just did what I asked you capitalist pigs not to do?

I don't believe gmo's present any health problems to people. Please show me where I've ever claimed such.

I was speaking to his meat derived diet, but we know you don't want to face that one right Praktik? ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Maui

TRIBE Member
For a guy that hates capitalism so much you're going to be screwed when it all comes falling down if you can't see the value of something useful vs the imaginary value of a commodity.

Your new name is maui wowi.

That's not new, that's where my name derived from when I made it back when I joined the board at the beginning of the century.

If it all comes falling down, silver and gold will still hold value to people.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Why would you want to deal with armed guys ready to kill you when you can take down passive pot heads and steal their wares?

[YOUTUBE]JTKTfUHfeKM[/YOUTUBE]

Yep. The dispensary tried everything to stay open, including meeting with city council to get them on board to legislate it, as well as meeting with the police chief(who pushed off meetings endlessly and then okayed the raid instead of meeting with Mark[the owner])

The excuse? LAWS ARE LAWS, AND WE ENFORCE THE LAWS. Nevermind that violent crime and B&Es are actually rampant in this city. We have the highest crime rate per capita in the country, FFS.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I don't believe gmo's present any health problems to people. Please show me where I've ever claimed such.

Excellent! On the same page here. Could have used the gluten or paleo too - GMO meme was handily found through google.

Diet-based narratives explaining all our illness are a dime a dozen, I didn't know what particular shit you were thinking about - but what I dislike about these explanations for autism or cancer is that it can make a lot of people internalize a narrative about how their illness is their own fault.

Sometimes thats true. A lot of the time, most of the time, it isnt.

I was speaking to his meat derived diet, but we know you don't want to face that one right Praktik? ;)

Im more worried about eating *anything* - since everything causes cancer.

...but not really. Meat is fine if you eat normal amounts of it. If you eat a pound of bacon every day and wash it down with some salami then watch out.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Is that satire that you just did what I asked you capitalist pigs not to do?

delete your account

JamesM

TRIBE Member
As of today there are 78 weed dispensaries in Toronto, and there will probably be 79 or 80 tomorrow. Last year I saw maybe one or two, and now I see them all over.

There's one that just popped up in our Neighbourhood. It looks like an apple store, and people are outside.

I don't smoke weed, so I'm not sure what all the commotion is about.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There's one that just popped up in our Neighbourhood. It looks like an apple store, and people are outside.

I don't smoke weed, so I'm not sure what all the commotion is about.

I just noticed another one by Fresh on Spadina today. Must be fairly new because I don't remember seeing it before...

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
That's not new, that's where my name derived from when I made it back when I joined the board at the beginning of the century.

If it all comes falling down, silver and gold will still hold value to people.

Good. Cause Maui Wowie is something I could use. Who is "buying" gold in a post apocalyptic society? I could see maybe some use for silver if you had a problem with werewolves but other than that it would be pretty useless in a survival situation.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Good. Cause Maui Wowie is something I could use. Who is "buying" gold in a post apocalyptic society? I could see maybe some use for silver if you had a problem with werewolves but other than that it would be pretty useless in a survival situation.

Maybe if you needed to reach the next military ration packet on a high shelf you could use some gold bars as a step?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Since when did weed become so corporate? I thought it was supposed to be the opposite.

You guys getting into dumb arguments over all this. I think I can see both sides to this.

As he runs out of this thread. Head scratcher.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
no one's really getting into any arguments about this topic of Pot. Discussion, yes.
wrong thread.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Corporate weed > black market weed

I like my ruthless psychopathic organizations to be constrained by the rule of law and to seek market share with the best product and marketing instead of through force of arms.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Toronto cannabis entrepreneurs vow to fight proposed fines
CRAIG OFFMAN
TORONTO — The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:04AM EDT

On Tuesday night, the Cannabis Friendly Business Association held an emergency session at Toronto’s Hotbox Cafe. Entrepreneurs, consultants and lobbyists gathered to take on Mayor John Tory, who has vowed to fine unlicensed marijuana dispensaries up to $50,000 a day. It was standing-room only, and no one was taking this threat laying down.

All the tropes and trappings of the high life one might expect in this Kensington Market setting were in effect: berets, goatees, dreads, bongs and vapes, the air inexorably filled with suspicious wafts. But the fog wasn’t so thick that one couldn’t see that this energized group of entrepreneurs, consultants and lobbyists meant business.

There was little talk about the constitutional implications of the proposed clampdown. Instead it was more about strategy. Amid the various speeches and calls to arms, there was an entreaty to lawyer up to challenge the legality of the fines, even though some of the vendors present, such as Rick Vrecic, said they already had done so. “Even $25,000 a day would shut us down,” said Mr. Vrecic,who runs True Compassion Toronto, a west-side clinic that caters to those suffering from chronic pain.

Consultant Marko Ivancicevic called for attendees to inundate the city’s board of health with requests to speak at Thursday’s meeting, which will address a report from the city’s top doctor regarding the implications of legalizing cannabis. “We could filibuster it, so to speak,” he said.

In recent months, dozens of new stores have been popping up across Toronto, more than a hundred, and in this twilight zone between legalized medicinal use and total legalization, there is a pervasive sense of lawlessness.

The vendors see a haze of mixed signals coming from all three levels of government, with no coherent strategy to regulate this chaotic transition. The city, on the other hand, is suddenly agitated with dispensaries, questioning everything from zoning infractions to the quality of the marijuana.

One of the concerns was that Toronto was trying to criminalize what are in effect a set of bylaws, potentially shutting down dozens of small businesses with outrageous penalties. “People are going to fight these fines,” said criminal lawyer Paul Lewin. “By and large, many of these people have been left alone for 25 years, and this is a terrible way to start conversation. It’s bone-headed and mean-spirited.”

The fines also raise questions about the new dispensaries ruining business for the old ones, taking the whole industry down with them. “The cannabis industry is massive,” said Abi Roach, who is the Hotbox’s owner and the CFBA organizer who put together the evening’s event. “Each one employs somewhere between six and 10 people, many of them in their 20s and some disabled. These business all pay payroll taxes and HST.”

At this early stage, it’s difficult to verify how many new dispensaries are actually above board. As some attendees explained, there is a fear among the newcomers that if they followed the same regulations as their earlier counterparts and went on the books, the Canada Revenue Agency would alert them to the Toronto Police, making them more vulnerable to penalties.

But, perhaps, that’s the risk they take by jumping into this sweet fog of war. “There are just of a lot of entrepreneurs out there looking for opportunity in the new economy,” said Alexzander Samuelsson, one of the principals of The Big Toke, a Web site that chronicles this booming economy.

Mr. Samuelsson said he was heartened to see everyone from this space finally coming together and finding a common goal.

A vacuum of regulation is one of the industry’s great challenges, he noted, as is ignorance and misconceptions among public officials. “There are a lot of people who are cannabis-naive.”

One of those singled out for naivety was Mayor Tory, but never in a mean-spirited way. Instead he was depicted as a kind, grandfatherly guy who happened to be uninformed about marijuana. “But we’ll change that,” vowed the Big Toke’s Harrison Jordan, who recently predicted to The Globe and Mail that Toronto could have as many cannabis dispensaries as Pizza Pizza franchises.

Towards the end of the proceedings, one old-school questioner asked if the group would consider a sit-in, but it was quickly pointed out the time for that had come and gone, like, decades ago.

“It’s not time to protest,” insisted Ms. Roach (née Hod). “It’s time to lobby.”

Toronto cannabis entrepreneurs vow to fight proposed fines - The Globe and Mail

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There seems to be a wedge developing between the older shops and the newer shops - the older shops feeling that the newer shops are bringing attention and heat down on them...

After I read that Globe and Mail piece I wondered if any Federal, Provincial, or Municipal backroom political operatives were at that meeting to help shepherd or organize a 'movement' out of that group of store owners...