• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Weed dispensaries are everywhere!!!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
As of today there are 78 weed dispensaries in Toronto, and there will probably be 79 or 80 tomorrow. Last year I saw maybe one or two, and now I see them all over.

Has this put street level pot dealers out of business? Is there room for more dispensaries? Or is it over saturated now?

The mainstream media are saying a crackdown is coming by the city of Toronto shortly, and they will use some kind of bylaw violations to fine the dispensaries out of business. Will that work?

I am not a weed partaker but don't really mind if people do. I find the weed dispensary explosion thing kind of odd though - almost like the wild west, kind of a staking claims type scenario.

I'd be interested in hearing what you all, have to say about it...

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
As of today there are 78 weed dispensaries in Toronto, and there will probably be 79 or 80 tomorrow. Last year I saw maybe one or two, and now I see them all over.

Has this put street level pot dealers out of business? Is there room for more dispensaries? Or is it over saturated now?

The mainstream media are saying a crackdown is coming by the city of Toronto shortly, and they will use some kind of bylaw violations to fine the dispensaries out of business. Will that work?

I am not a weed partaker but don't really mind if people do. I find the weed dispensary explosion thing kind of odd though - almost like the wild west, kind of a staking claims type scenario.

I'd be interested in hearing what you all, have to say about it...
I wouldn't say street dealers are out of business, if you have been in a lot of these places they are still charging 10-15$ per gram which is still RIDICULOUS and enough to keep an underground market alive. There are some dispensaries that have fair, compassionate prices but you have to dig around to find them.

I would say it is becoming oversaturated despite new stores popping up. I think over the next year we will see places drop off due to oversaturation, pricing far too high and a lack of overall quality product.

I believe they will regulate them like they have in BC - have a strict certification process to become legitimate and if you aren't certified you will be operating illegally.

As a medical card carrier it is nice to see how liberal and widespread it is at this point however there are definitely some intricacies that need to be worked through, starting with the INSANE price they are charging at these places. marijuana is still worth more per oz than gold, I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

I also find that some of the people who are running these places are not educated enough when it comes to their product. This needs to be improved as well.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Police position when the Liberals won was that they would only take action based on complaints which i think basically gave the green light for businesses to open up shop as they believed the risk to be low.

It is crazy how it has exploded. I think it is good for future legalization for these businesses to exist as it puts pressure on lawmakers to use an already existing distribution network but I think the saturation was too much too quickly forcing authorities to take some sort of action.

praktik

TRIBE Member
No reason to switch from my dealer who delivers higher % THC for cheaper right to my door.

When price at dispensaries is cheaper than my dealer I will switch, not before.

Nice to hear about people making purchases of green with their debit cards tho!

We'll have some growing pains and maybe there will be a crackdown or two coming soon, but the end of prohibition is nigh - can you feel it?

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
No reason to switch from my dealer who delivers higher % THC for cheaper right to my door.

When price at dispensaries is cheaper than my dealer I will switch, not before.

Nice to hear about people making purchases of green with their debit cards tho!

We'll have some growing pains and maybe there will be a crackdown or two coming soon, but the end of prohibition is nigh - can you feel it?
and there it is - it is crucial for the GOV to regulate the pricing when the time comes or else it will be pointless.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
and there it is - it is crucial for the GOV to regulate the pricing when the time comes or else it will be pointless.
Not completely.

Nice to not have a criminal record for smoking pot. So even if they tax the shit out of it - lots of benefits to society. Also less burden on police and the courts

Just we could get even MORE benefits if they DON'T tax the shit out of it and take a bigger bite out of organized crime.

They walk the same tightrope on tobacco taxes so there will be trial and error for a while.

But really - given how easily this shit grows and the inputs we should be paying about $20 an ounce.

Black market has artificially jacked prices by 10x+!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya he was always good with customer service but with the dispensary threat I'm finding him to be even more prompt with his coordination and arrival times!

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
Not completely.

Nice to not have a criminal record for smoking pot. So even if they tax the shit out of it - lots of benefits to society. Also less burden on police and the courts

Just we could get even MORE benefits if they DON'T tax the shit out of it and take a bigger bite out of organized crime.

They walk the same tightrope on tobacco taxes so there will be trial and error for a while.

But really - given how easily this shit grows and the inputs we should be paying about $20 an ounce.

Black market has artificially jacked prices by 10x+!
I agree with your overall point as there are benefits. But you still support the blackmarket because of pricing and convenience for yourself lol you still risk a criminal record despite being able to go into a store and get your medicine a legit way. so yes, pricing, is going to be crucial.

praktik

TRIBE Member
My personal support for a black market is a drop in the bucket - takes systemic change to fix a systemic problem, part of which should be ensuring the pot market is not as lucrative for black market actors. And we achieve that by ensuring legal prices are low enough not to create that lucrative opportunity.

But, some amount of black market activity will be permament. There is continuing black market activity on alcohol and tobacco, and no one asks Big Questions about whether this means it was prudent to have a legal market in these - but it does follow from opportunities left by our legal regimens (high tobacco taxes, strict distribution control on alcohol).

Whatever our legal landing is on pot - we will be leaving *some* opportunity *somewhere* for a black market, its up to us how big that opportunity is - and my bet is we will leave too big an opportunity to start because the pearl-clutchers will be asking for strict control on distribution and high taxes for the dread fear of "increased use" under legalization.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
I live in Leslieville, but I frequent the Domino's Pizza location at Queen and Parliament. Last night, I noticed a few doors east of my pizza place was a "clinic" for this stuff. LOL

praktik

TRIBE Member
no man thats what *I* need!

I hear snoop was getting a chip put in but then had it taken out cause it didn't improve his innate ability to detect weed

defazman

TRIBE Member
I give it about a month and the Danforth near me will be nothing but greek restaurants, chinese produce stores and weed dispensaries.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
We sure as hell don't have a dispensary here. The cops raided the only one. Charged everyone involved. Irony at the time of the raid was that an armed robbery was going on elsewhere in town, and because of the raid, there weren't enough cops to deal with both.

Gotta love Saskatoon logic. The cops have a "broken window" policy around pot, meaning if you're caught with it you're likely involved in many other offenses, so they prosecute something like 80% of possession cases. Highest rate in the country.

As far as legal/medical users, ye've got to get it by mail only here, I guess.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I only mean that in the sense of the gentrified portions of Parkdale.. The cracky areas are still going strong, just getting more concentrated as they are surrounded by hipsters

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Yeap, lots of friends have registered lately, and i can see the appeal, 420 Tourism is real and super fun, and place that i have been to like Denver are just fantastic for what you have access too.

I personally also prefer delivery services if available from purveyors that have many strains etc that are very similar to visiting your local shop.

What i dont like about visiting my local shop UNTIL the proper FULL legislation is in place is being registered with one or more of these places.

That along with the lack of ' deals ', if i get 3.5g's or an ounce, you arent really seeing a break, ' dealers ' know how to hook you up when getting quantity.

So until prices are adjusted, full legislation is in place, and they can compete with the already existing providers, im going to maintain my current practices.

Maui

TRIBE Member
We sure as hell don't have a dispensary here. The cops raided the only one. Charged everyone involved. Irony at the time of the raid was that an armed robbery was going on elsewhere in town, and because of the raid, there weren't enough cops to deal with both.
Why would you want to deal with armed guys ready to kill you when you can take down passive pot heads and steal their wares?

[YOUTUBE]JTKTfUHfeKM[/YOUTUBE]

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders