1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Wedding Celebration (not a wedding) - how much to give ?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

dear tribe - please help me figure out what is an acceptable monetary gift for a "wedding celebration" (they got married a few months back in paris).

here is the text of the invitation:

Join us in celebrating the Marriage of *** and ***
    Saturday, September 18, 2010
    In the Garden
    drop by anytime
    1 - 5 pm
    [address]

would you give as much as you would for a wedding where there is a sit-down dinner and drinks and whatnot? if less, how much less?

the bride is a former teaching assistant who worked with me for a couple of years. not a close friend, but someone whose company i have enjoyed.

help?

2. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Left arm.

4. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Buy them a bread maker, or just give them the one you got for your wedding.

5. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Star Trek steak knives!

6. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

I'd probably give the same as if it was the actual wedding.

I got married in May (very small wedding with only immediate relatives and closest friends) and did a little afternoon wedding celebration in Ottawa 2 weeks later for my aunts and uncles and whatnot and people generally gave me the same as if they'd been to the wedding.

7. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

I think you can give a gift more in line with the value of an engagement party gift since it's a casual drop in afternoon and not a formal wedding.

8. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

No meal, no open bar, no 80s DJ = re-gifting of shit kitchen appliance

9. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

you're coming to mine, good sir.

10. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Someone told me once a good rule of thumb is to estimate the cost of bring you to the event (i.e. paying for your drinks and food) and giving that. I would bump it up a bit if you are close friends.

11. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

What would you give in each of these situations (sorry, a bit off topic but close enough);

Destination wedding in the Caribbean, one of your best friends (I'm one of the two best men). It's costing you about $1500.00 (each of us, both weddings my girl is coming with me) to go down there with flight and hotel plus whatever else we spend while down there...I'm thinking at least $100.00 from each of us.

Wedding here in Toronto, I'm a groomsman, again, one of my very best friends...rehearsal dinner the night before (at resort), wedding the next day. Have to pay $400.00 for the two nights at the resort, have to pay $200.00 for the Tux rental. I'm thinking $150.00 each.

I'm not tight at all, I have no problem giving my friends whatever would be fair...just wondering what is an appropriate amount.

12. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Notice how your aunts and uncles don't return your calls anymore?

13. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

give them the gift, of HEMORAGE !

[​IMG]

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I think that guy was a boss in a video game I played last year.

15. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

people give engagement party gifts? wtf? is it usually a cash thing to?

Um... If I was blowing a ton of dough to be a best man at my friends wedding, I think just being there would be enough. But I'm no money bags (or a man).

Every time these questions come up, I think two things:
    1) I'm getting fucking married so I can cash in on some serious well, Cash.

2) I'm never getting fucking married.

16. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

less than what you would give for a full on ceremony booze fest, more than if they made you travel and waste a long weekend

17. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

well if you take the date 9/18,

that would be 918 * 15% standard gratuity.

$137 round it up so you don't look like a douche and you got $150

presto. (you can even write that in the card, it's hilarious!)

18. Bean

Bean TRIBE Member

Give a gift that's within your means and what you feel is appropriate. I personally would give a gift as though it was a typical wedding (i.e., ceremony and party in the same day).

19. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

one thing about weddings, is I like to feel the Bride and Groom appreciate my gift. I like to get aknowledged with the thank you card. I know it's old fashioned but half the time you put the card in the box on the reception table and you wander if the bride and groom get it.

20. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I've never gone to something like this but for wedding receptions I often try to determine my cost and I gift that. So normally I am gifting $200-$400 for myself plus my lady. For this it sounds like $50/person tops.