• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Weapon for Home Defense

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Do not underestimate the power of the giant spatula! Sharpening the edges creates an even more devastating weapon!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Do not underestimate the power of the giant spatula! Sharpening the edges creates an even more devastating weapon!
Actually my BBQ spatula has a sharpened edge and a very long handle. It's got good weight and reach. That would be perfect!

stryker

TRIBE Member
Get a video camera and record. Shout and yell, otherwise stay in the house and call the police. If you go out and do anything other than restrain you'll get charged with assault, weapons offences, etc.

You can only use self defence if the guy is actively trying to harm you and you are not able to run away. Even then if you do anything more than the minimal amount required to defend yourself, you'll get charged. If you go outside looking for trouble, you'll get charged. If you threaten him with harm, you could get charged. Etc.

Technically, you can't really do anything other then detain the person. No punches, no kicks, and certainly no weapons, under any circumstances.

If any of that happens the cops will charge you and let the courts sort out your innocence. You'll probably be vindicated, but you'll spend tens of thousand in criminal defense fees...over an insured car stereo.

stew

G3N3R4L

TRIBE Member
Get a video camera and record. Shout and yell, otherwise stay in the house and call the police. If you go out and do anything other than restrain you'll get charged with assault, weapons offences, etc.

You can only use self defence if the guy is actively trying to harm you and you are not able to run away. Even then if you do anything more than the minimal amount required to defend yourself, you'll get charged. If you go outside looking for trouble, you'll get charged. If you threaten him with harm, you could get charged. Etc.

Technically, you can't really do anything other then detain the person. No punches, no kicks, and certainly no weapons, under any circumstances.

If any of that happens the cops will charge you and let the courts sort out your innocence. You'll probably be vindicated, but you'll spend tens of thousand in criminal defense fees...over an insured car stereo.

stew
This is why we can't have nice things.

You spend your hard earned money on something, and some jag off can come and fuck it up.

More vigilante justice, I say.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
This is why we can't have nice things.

You spend your hard earned money on something, and some jag off can come and fuck it up.

More vigilante justice, I say.
Uhh..so that we can then fall into anarchy and thus have the man/woman with the biggest stick have all the stuff and rule us? No thanks.

I blame prohibition.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
BBC News - Stronger legal protection for householders who tackle burglars
People in England and Wales who over-react when confronted by burglars in their homes will be given more legal protection, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling is to announce.

The change would mean people who face intruders and have reason to fear for their safety will not be guilty of an offence if they use force that in the cold light of day seems disproportionate.
[YOUTUBE]nj3bhihce8s[/YOUTUBE]

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member

stew
This. I even own guns but I'd be pretty hard pressed to use them on someone. Not worth hurting or killing someone over replaceable property.

That said, racking your shotgun is a polite and harmless way to let an intruder know he might have entered the wrong house.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I used to have one of these, until the cops took it when they raided my apt.

Jay
not sure if you're joking about the raid or not but...ha. i have one of these, keep it in the nightstand. i've lived in some pretty cracky neighbourhoods but now not so much so here's hoping i never have to use it. besides knowing my luck it would probably get yanked and used against me... cell phone calling 911 in a loud voice would probably be a better defence...imho.

:)

octo

TRIBE Member
i look forward to the day when someone breaks in to my house and i get to say

"you think you're big time!? you're gonna fucking die big time!you ready? here comes the pain!"

Last edited:

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Those are actually not illegal in Canada so I don't know why they would have taken that. I asked my friend who is a policeman if they were illegal and he said no.
They (the cops) were being jack asses.. I had a whole collection of weapons, and they took them all. Fuckers.

Jay

derek

TRIBE Member
my home security

1. alarm system
2. CCTV (diy project in the summer)
3. Pitbull (although the breed actually do not make good guard dogs but we just won't tell anyone); she does bark and look rather fierce when strangers approach the house, but it's just show (she'd probably lick their hand if the came in)
4. Japanese wife with ninja like reflexes and mean upper cut. (hey, i sleep soundly and would mostly like sleep through it all)

i actually had some drunk dude try to force his way in few years ago. banging on the door at 2am. when i open the door to see what was happening and he insisted he lived here and tried to just walk in, my dog came bolting out of the bedroom and the sight was enough to make him realize he had the wrong place.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have a monitored alarm, a cctv camera setup that monitors everything and uploads offsite, and a really nosy ancient Macedonian neighbor who races outside at the slightest noise to see if it is someone he can talk to. He is adorable, but I guess is kind of lonely. In my armory I have the big spatula, a rolling pin (the French pastry kind), and a cast iron frying pan.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
take your non-restricted/restricted classes, get your licenses

then

Excellent idea.... then when you need it in a pinch, you have to unlock the case then unlock the trigger guard that you're legally required to have on it. Add that to the fact that Canada basically does not recognize the defense of 'they broke into my house so I killed them' and you have a horribly bad idea all around. Really just terrible advice...

mrfinesse

TRIBE Member
I have decided to get a bat but just not too sure which one. Cuz I went to look at bats back when I posted, swung some around and figured I might as well pick up a decent one so I can play some burpee with it.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Nice thread bump, I lol'ed.

If you're worried about a break-in, a bat might not be the best option because it's tough to swing in an enclosed space. Pepper spray sounds like a good idea, but you'll likely spray yourself in the process. I suggest something super close-range like a taser.

or if you want to be a real hero....

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Tasers are prohibited weapons in Canada. You would face charges if the police even found it, let alone you using it on someone. Terrible advice.

Get a big dog. They're super fun to have around and people are scared of them.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I dunno why but I bought them. Thinking back, mainly because I thought they were fucking cool. Who doesn't like swords? Bought three of these to put around the house:

Cold Steel two handed Katana machete:
Name: Two Handed Katana Machete
Blade Length: 24"
Overall Length: 40 1/2"
Steel: 1055 Carbon Steel w/ Black Baked on Anti Rust Matte Finish
Weight: 34.3 oz
Blade Thickness: 2.8 mm
Handle: 16 1/2" Long Polypropylene
Sheath: Cor-Ex

No picture because work doesn't like URLs relating to weapons.

It's fucking cool lol