• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

We need to do this ! Effective Solar Energy - Zee Chermans have done it again !

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Germany produces half of energy with solar - The Local

"German solar demonstrated just what it is capable of in the first two weeks of June," said Tobias Rothacher, expert for renewable energies at Germany Trade & Invest, the country's economic development agency.

Analysis from the Fraunhofer ISE research institute showed solar panels in Germany generated a record 24.24 GW of electricity between 1pm and 2pm on Friday, June 6th.

And on Monday June 9th, which was a national holiday, solar power production peaked at 23.1 GW, which equalled 50.6 percent of total electricity demand - setting another milestone.

The week was unusually hot with highs of 37C and Rothacher put the record down to the warm weather and the fact it was a public holiday.

But he added: “I think we could break a new record every two to three months now. We are installing more and more PVs [solar panels].”

The success of Germany’s solar production lies with encouraging people to install them on their roof tops rather than building huge solar farms. Rothacher said 90 percent of solar panels in Germany were on individuals’ roofs.

He added that solar power production had increased by 34 percent in the first five months of the year compared to last year thanks to the better weather.

"The large amounts of solar electricity being generated demonstrate clearly that Germany will need more energy storage capacity in the future. Already, more than 1.4 million photovoltaic systems are producing a surplus, especially on sunny days around midday," he said.

"From now on, every new solar system that is installed in Germany increases the need for electricity storage solutions.”

this is where the world is heading, might as well be at the forefront than playing catch up.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Wait I thought if we went for green energy we'd kill all our jobs, and yet Germany is the economic powerhouse of Europe??

praktik

TRIBE Member
Other huge news in solar? experiment was able to use power of sun to make water go "super critical" like a nuke reactor does.

Some time off before productionized and scaled up - but very very promising research!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Other huge news in solar? experiment was able to use power of sun to make water go "super critical" like a nuke reactor does.

Some time off before productionized and scaled up - but very very promising research!
yeah that article was great. they say 15-20 years away , but im hoping less.

once its viable and cost effective to set up, plus MEGA capacitors to store will eliminate the stranglehold of coal/fossil fuel vs solar.

then there is people comparing the total uptime vs downtime etc.

but if you combine Nuclear and Solar and get rid of oil and coal, the world would seem some pretty immediate benefits !

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
That's all great while the sun shines.

Reality: https://www.destatis.de/EN/FactsFig...uction/Tables/GrossElectricityProduction.html

Maybe I'm missing something.
mega capacitors will be a thing we need to create for the infrastructure to remain sound, and much of the new solar tech is showing a good ability to produce even with clouds.

combine them for better overall energy creation.

British scientists develop solar panels which work better on a cloudy day - Telegraph

Maui

TRIBE Member
Wait I thought if we went for green energy we'd kill all our jobs, and yet Germany is the economic powerhouse of Europe??

Wait.... I thought you were saying that more nuclear reactors were definitely needed......

Looks to me like one single type of green energy is imminently possible to cover a lot of a country's power. Never mind all the other green energies that could be combined to go along with it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya Germany could be doing way better than they are doing now if they stopped burning coal to make up for the nuke plants they shut down after Fukushima Paranoia infected the green left.

What is largest room in the house? Room for improvement (joke from my grandma)

Germany is doing so well on energy with one hand tied behind its back! Nukes are a form of green energy - no carbon.

Maui

TRIBE Member
hahahha. Oh no, another counterpoint! It couldn't be! lol
I'm scared to read that.

Nuclear = green energy = looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

My hometown has gone forward with the selection process for storing nuclear waste there. So a group against it has popped up. I joined it and one dude tried to argue for the dump. I ran his no logic, lying, stupid ass out of there so fast.

Btw, I finally got around to reading about that Mark Lynas dude you mentioned in the GMO thread who also happens to be pro nuclear. I've never taken a side either way on GMO's. I won't go so far as to say that guy is a complete fraud but there is definitely something going on there moreso than him "just discovering science". His turnaround has been taken to task by many others, like real scientists.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I have no doubt that mark lynas is sincere. People should take that for granted and tackle the arguments - not imagine conspiracies about motivations they can't possibly know.

Nuclear needs to be part of any serious climate change plan - no carbon dude.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Issue really is baseload generation - solar can't do it yet so we need something. If it isn't nukes it's coal

So pick your poison - nuke has the advantage of zero carbon which can tide us over until baseload can come from more advanced versions of renewable we have today.

Anti nuke activists are objectively pro fossil fuel - as that is only recourse for baseload, even in a country like Germany.

Must deal with world as it is not as we would wish it to be.

praktik

TRIBE Member
hahahha. Oh no, another counterpoint! It couldn't be! lol
I'm scared to read that.
Not sure I think counterpoint is be-all, end-all, came from a friend from an actually useful facebook discussion on this topic and some of the trends there are concerning. For me the takeway is the Germans could be doing it even better - in ways that dont overly hurt the poor and industry (and especially with respect to fossil fuels).

Our contrarians and vested business interests will point to articles like that and say we should stick with the status quo. I say it means the Germans haven't found the right formula yet, smarter policy can achieve it - and we shouldn't waste any more time following their path and attempting to do it even better than them! Good on them for hitting these snags, taking some of the right steps and learning for us all. One of the lessons is a green energy policy that excludes nuke may have little impact on carbon, or actually make it worse. Another lesson might be finding ways to give energy breaks to poor people so they dont suffer so acutely.

Last edited:

Maui

TRIBE Member
I have no doubt that mark lynas is sincere. People should take that for granted and tackle the arguments - not imagine conspiracies about motivations they can't possibly know.

Nuclear needs to be part of any serious climate change plan - no carbon dude.
I agree, his points are what is important and I don't necessarily agree with those points. But I'll take that discussion to that thread If I ever get the motivation to explore the entire issue more fully.

My point was more to point out that I'm keeping an eye on your counterpointing ass lest I have to start a conspiracy about you being bought out as one of Tribe's most prolific posters and a possible instigator. :p

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
so are they saying they had solar produce 50% of their total energy demand between 1 and 2pm one week during a heatwave?

Maui

TRIBE Member
so are they saying they had solar produce 50% of their total energy demand between 1 and 2pm one week during a heatwave?
Right. So it only goes to show that by using coal and ramping up gobal warming, it will only increase the net benefit of solar energy.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders