• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

we need new genre names

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
'breaks' just makes people think of lame-ass UK club/rave trash these days. it's honestly embarrassing to say you play 'breaks' these days.

we need new genre names for the midtempo/funk roots movement, and for the glitchy electronic business as well.

any suggestions?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
just throwing it out there, but how 'bout midtempo funk and glitchy electronic??

works for me.

everything else would just be a catch phrase

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
TOO... MANY... GENRES!!!

man3.gif

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
if you play downtempo, funky and glitchy shit, when someone asks, tell them you play downtempo, funky and glitchy shit.

(name not required):)

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
yea, but that doesn't seem like party music, nah'meen?

there needs to be a more fun, less elitist sounding name you know... something one or two words and catchy, like 'Brouse'

;)

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
oh yeah, 'Breaks' is a great genre name, it's just become overly vague and is often misinterpreted. i'm just saying we need something more specific and appealing is all.

Shug

TRIBE Member
Aren't you the one that's a huge proponent of genre-mixing/hopping, Dylan? Since you're such a genre slut, why classify? Let the music define itself, instead of nailing it down with a label.

Although, I can understand not wanting to be associated with the mundane and ravey breaks DJs, since the lower echelons have recently had an influx of breaks tourists over the past couple years, since some holes appeared in the rave scene for breaks... :p We can't have the "real" DJs and those types use the same descriptor, can we? *shivers*

This thread is teh lame.

(ps - how about 'fun music that makes you dance' as a genre classification?)

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Or what about when you're on a flyer you simply as they do this?

The Phat Conductor (various affiliations)
Genre Slut

Problem solved!

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i know this thread is lame, but i really do want to be able to convey to people what music i like in a few words. i hate genres as much as anybody else, it's just that not having any genre is kind of a cop out, and then if the style ever gets really popular you end up with the media naming it for you... eeek.

fun music that makes you dance might be good... hee hee

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
yeah, i dunno. personally, i love the idea on not really paying attention to genre names. i play breaks yeah, but a lot of the heavier stuff will work its way into the same set as a lot of the really uber funky stuff. i think its better to just put up with inadequate genre names as opposed to trying to nail everything down....besides which, breaks are actually in a really good spot right now i think. crowds are bigger, healthier and more open minded. its great

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
There's nothing wrong with trying to define your sound. Limiting it on that basis, however, is rather problematic.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
!Myagi! said:
yeah, i dunno. personally, i love the idea on not really paying attention to genre names. i play breaks yeah, but a lot of the heavier stuff will work its way into the same set as a lot of the really uber funky stuff. i think its better to just put up with inadequate genre names as opposed to trying to nail everything down....besides which, breaks are actually in a really good spot right now i think. crowds are bigger, healthier and more open minded. its great

yeah, you're right.

i think i was just stressed out from school. but i'm done now! woohoo!

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
wow man, i must have been really losing it. i can't believe i posted such vitriol.

i also managed to develop some kind of wierd stress twitch in my right eye that ojnly happens when i try to read or write school stuff. i'm kind of worried, but it's totally gone now. i hope it doesn't come back.

fuck man, i literally feel like a different person now... i can't believe how much of an institutional steamroller u of t is in april...

much luv. i'm back :D

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
!Myagi! said:
crowds are bigger, healthier and more open minded. its great
you damn optimists.. crowds are bigger because breaks jams are fewer and further between.

it's hard to find breaks outside of TO, and not that much easier in TO.

but, things always look better from the top. ;)