• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Water pressure problems

erika

TRIBE Member
So the water pressure in my old house is deteriorating big time: I don't know if there's a tree root doing something out there, or if the pipe from the city is messed up, or both.

I know that I need someone professional to look at this, who can figure out if it's city or me and can navigate getting whatever needs to be fixed, fixed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

erika

TRIBE Member
Umm, thanks, but until I know for sure that it IS a city issue, I don't think that will get me anywhere (not to mention the last time I tried 311 it took them forever to get back to me).

praktik

TRIBE Member
seinfeldshowerhead.jpg

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
You may live in an area where they are doing pressure testing.

Water pressure - low flow - low water pressure test

NOTICE:

March 27, 2014 - Keele St to Dufferin St and from Lawrence Ave W to Eglinton Ave W area (Wards 12 and 15)': Due to the ongoing fire, there may be low pressures in the area of Keele St to Dufferin St and Lawrence Ave W to Eglinton Ave W.--[[User:Ibalsys|Ibalsys]] 14:42, 27 March 2014 (EDT)

If you are experiencing on-going low water pressure that is affecting all the taps in your home, contact 311 to submit a service request for a flow test to determine if the water pressure is below the City's standard. This test is done free of charge.

In order for this test to be performed:

You must be at home
Your home must have a water meter
Your water service line must be made of copper.

Note: all flow tests must be conducted using a special flow metering device which is inserted where the water service enters the building at the location of the water meter.

A sound plumbing system is required to ensure that any water service hammering that takes place during the test, does not cause a leak. Old lead or galvanized plumbing before the water meter is problematic and susceptible to leaks when water line hammering occurs. The City does not accept liability for water line hammer damage to non-copper pipes as a result of a flow test. The property owner must replace the service line to copper before City staff can perform a flow test.

If low pressure is NOT on-going see: Water meter recently changed - water pressure is low

If you are a resident of a multi-residential property, you must contact your Property Management Office about this issue.

Note:

The City does not perform flow tests for commercial or industrial properties. Please contact a private company for a flow test.
The City will only take action to resolve water pressure issues if it is determined that your water pressure is equal or less than 7 litres per minute measured at the meter (this is below the minimum acceptable flow for a single family residential property.
If the results of the test indicate that the water services is transmitting a flow of less than 7 litres/minute, then the water service will be replaced on a priority basis.
You must meet the requirements as set out above.
A maximum of 1,500 water services are replaced each year, on a first come first served basis.

If you do not have a water meter, please contact the Meter Office.

http://www.absolutedp.com/2013/diagnosing-and-troubleshooting-low-water-pressure-in-your-toronto-home

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Erika,

I went through this last year when we moved into our new place. The pressure was terrible, I called 311 and they sent someone out who fixed the issue.

go this route first as it's free, they'll tell you if you have another issue that requires a contractor:)

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Get the City out there as soon as possible. If it's leak they'll want to know right away. It could cause a sink hole in the road.

Have you talked with your neighbours to see if they are having water pressure issues?

Over what period of time has this deterioration happened?

erika

TRIBE Member
Thanks everyone: looks like 311 is my starting point after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the water service line wasn't up to snuff. I did have the pipes in the house redone, but who knows...

My neighbours had some water-related issue last year but I haven't heard anything this year.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Thanks everyone: looks like 311 is my starting point after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the water service line wasn't up to snuff. I did have the pipes in the house redone, but who knows...

My neighbours had some water-related issue last year but I haven't heard anything this year.

it is hopfully sediment build-up in the lines