• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Watches!

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
in other watch news i stopped by graham fowler on the weekend to ogle some vintage tudor marine nationale milsubs... sadly none for sale

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Mmmmm. Some nice watches

Im still not sure how I feel about homage watches. But I was pretty Damn close to pulling the trigger on this steinhart. I still question my choice as this has Swiss movement. More expensive of course as well. But think I want to upgrade the movement myself in a couple years on the new diver.

deep

TRIBE Member
Thank you all for your help. What did we conclude on white face/black?
This is making me laugh and more at myself than anything you said/did. I pull the "what did we conclude on X" when I ask my team to figure something out / just get to an outcome and don't care enough to get involved in the details.

Agreed with Mephisto on showing a pic of the Breitling and Oris to see what it is he likes.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I can't be entirely sure that these are the exact models but I've taken care to spy the details and if these aren't it, at least representive of what he has.

Breitling Navitimer 01 Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch AB012012-BB02SS
Oris BC3 Air Racing Silver Lake Edition Automatic Black Dial Mens Watch 735-7641-4184SET

I worry these are both such different watches they're not representative of anything. He likes nice watches. Does he pop a boner like you guys do over some of these... I wouldn't think so. He has a strong interest. If we had all the money in the world he'd prob get a vintage Rolex. Does that reveal anything? I dunno...

Both are white faced. The Brietling might be grey.

I'm second guessing the mesh bracelet now. And want to only get a leather strap watch if I can also order the bracelet if he likes. The mesh bracelet is now reminding me of some fossil watch I had when I was 20. Eeep

You guys are enormously helpful. I had no idea there could be so many boutique brands of watches. The chicks and I should start a purse thread. Same thing actually.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
He likes nice watches. Does he pop a boner like you guys do over some of these... I wouldn't think so. He has a strong interest. If we had all the money in the world he'd prob get a vintage Rolex. Does that reveal anything? I dunno...
tough call...
just to muddy the waters a bit more- almost without fail, when people exhibit a protracted interest in watches their tastes tend to evolve over time so past preferences aren't necessarily reliable as an indicator of present/future tastes. in buying him a watch, you're also trying to hit/locate this moving target. i guess the same sort of thing is typified in peoples' preferences for cars- you just don't see a 40-yr old buying the same car that an 18 yr old would have chosen (and vice versa!). to continue with the car metaphor, people also have notions in their heads about some very arcane shit that doesn't make sense to someone on the periphery of that interest (audi vs bmw vs MB for instance) and the same is true(/truer) for watches.

nb: 1:00
Talking Watches With John Mayer - YouTube

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
ok so i asked my wife how she would go about buying a watch for me (which she has attempted but didn't end up doing in the past) and she offered some good input. she said she would call up one of my friends who she knows i have horrifically boring horological conversations with, not to ask them about a specific watch, but rather to get them to talk to me about what i was interested in at that moment. she says another thing that puts her off the scent in trying to pick out a watch for me is the fact that there are watches that i am really fond of...but would never wear or care to own because they are just too flashy to, say, wear on a mexico city/caracas layover or otherwise is something that i appreciate but just doesn't represent what i think/feel i am about

case in pt:

Vise

TRIBE Member
Omega Seamaster. Yea or ney?
Yea for sure. It's a classic that is well suited to every day wearing... my Seamaster PO is my default watch for the most part. I quite like the newer PO's with the grey bezel, sorta crazy that the prices have gone up so much the past couple years though.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

videotronic

TRIBE Member
The chicks and I should start a purse thread. Same thing actually.
the difference, of course, being that fine watches are incredibly intricate, accurate and precise devices built by skilled craftsmen that ooze class and attention to detail

purses are bags made from the skin of the dead

j/k...my girl and i have this exact same argument all the time ha

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Yeah maybe, of the Seamaster lineup I'm actually not a fan of the Bond watch... find it a bit smallish. The Planet Ocean's are awesome though.
That's a 40mm?

I have a small wrist. 6 1/2 and in most watches 40mm is a really good size for me. But feels small in a diver. My new diver is 45.8 including crown.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
That's good advice. I'm going to consult his best friend who knows his tastes as well as the nature of his office and industry. I'm not looking to get him his dream watch, but something he'll like in the rotation as he builds a collection. I'm absolutely going to get that Sinn one next time I'm in Toronto. (I think I understood Louis Black was the only AD in Canada?)