• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Watches!

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
So, "Spaboy", tell me how you came up with your pseudonym. Do you actually really go to the spa? Do they cut your toenails and make you pretty? Or do you work out and then sweat out the nonsense in a steam room

I don't mean to insult you or catch you off guard. I will tell you about my pseudonym to prove it.

My real name is Jeff. There is also a guy called Jesus. So one day I decided to smash the names together and came up with "Jeffsus".

Occasionally, people think I am "Jeff" (which is true) bur from the USA, which is not true. I don't have enough time to counter argue all the people who send me hate mail.

let me continue this in another post....

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

So a dealer, not of watches, came over to my house, and we made some cordial agreement. But this time, he didn't leave.

The normal situation is he comes, I pay, he leaves.

So this time I started talking to him. I assumed he wanted company given the fact that, well you know, he didn't leave.

me> "Hey XXX, is there something on you're mind?"
XXX> "Jeff, you seem to have it all together, so I wanted to ask you about YYY..."
me> does this guy not know thqat I spent 4 days of last week in the hospital taking heavy psychiatric drugs?
me> "I'm sorry, what do you mean?"

And then he went on to tell me about things, many things, things actually that have made me break down in the past, and things that perhaps he is dealing with for the first time.

He's not gay. He's not looking for partnership, at least, not from me. Nor people like me.
But I was ready to listen. And I did.

i sort of admit, I tuned out a bit as he was rambling, but I was listening to his general point. I listened because it applies to me too.

Our entire society is built up assuming that everyone is going to have a partner, going to have two incomes. It's assuming that you're going to get tax breaks for having kids, and that your kids will go to a school.

Well, straight or gay, what if you really are just a single income person? How are you going to advance in this society? Especially if you have or want kids?

Luckily, or sadly, depending how you look at it, I'm not going to have kids, probably mostly for the reasons stated above, but I'm also currently living alone in a society that expects people to pair up, even if they're gay.

Hey of course I'm all about gay rights and being together and that's fine. It's great actually, I'm glad Canada is one of the pioneers of same sex commitments.

But what about those of us who either 1) choose not to be in a relationship or 2) are so complicated that a relationship doesn't find us.

I find myself in that second batch. I've been in love before, but it just didn't work out properly. Perhaps I'll be in love again, but, I don't see the benefit of it.

I think I'm a wonderously generous person, and those on tribe who have known me for a very long time, I hope to think would say the same. So, why is it so difficult for me to find a nice guy? A nice guy that I can treat well...

-jM
a&d

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Great post.

Spaboy comes from a past life of working in the Spa biz. No profound mashing of words here. To be honest, I thought tribe would be a good site way back when to slyly advertise a website I helped build. I quickly found out people on this board are generally not stupid and just found myself loving the board. And here we are 7 years later. Dang

I understand your post more than you know. I'm considered a good looking guy I'm told and people always wonder why I'm perpetually single. I would also consider myself to be in the second batch. But mostly I just don't have time for half ass relationships just cause I'm supposed to be in one. If there's a lady worth it, I'm by no means against it. It's just rare that Im enamored any more. My feelings are broken or something :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Great post.

Spaboy comes from a past life of working in the Spa biz. No profound mashing of words here. To be honest, I thought tribe would be a good site way back when to slyly advertise a website I helped build. I quickly found out people on this board are generally not stupid and just found myself loving the board. And here we are 7 years later. Dang

I understand your post more than you know. I'm considered a good looking guy I'm told and people always wonder why I'm perpetually single. I would also consider myself to be in the second batch. But mostly I just don't have time for half ass relationships just cause I'm supposed to be in one. If there's a lady worth it, I'm by no means against it. It's just rare that Im enamored any more. My feelings are broken or something :p
Hah, I apologize for anything that I may have said in other threads that could be mistaken as trite or trolling. That is and was not my intention. It's just my dry humour.

I really do appreciate your frank response. Thank you. I imagine that many other people reading this feel the same way as you. As me.

You have the benefit of being straight, which, trust me, makes things much easier. Though, guessing by your answer there, we share a common problem that we're not entirely ready to commit. Perhaps you're younger than I am, and it's usual to be non-committal when one is in there 20's, but I am in my 30's and so it's kind of expected that I should settle down.

Not that there haven't been great, awesome people in my life. There have been. But for whatever reason I haven't been able to make that commitment. I'm sure straight guys have the same experience: though at some point I think straight guys just give up and take a wife to have kids.

Being non-committed has it's benefits. I can do and go and sleep with whatever I want at any time (job aside). But it does have its downsides, strangely for whatever reason, I would like a partner to talk to. As long as he is up to my snuff. And can deal with my problems. And could hopefully straighten me out.

I'm a nice guy after all. You?

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Spaboy.... people are coming into my office and complaining that i'm being anti social...

I now have lines in front of me and those girls... Hasn't someone told them by now??

So I'm to check that everyone's having a good time, which , by the sounds of it, they are, except for me.

And where the fuck is that other dude. As far as I know, nobody else here likes dudes, and the one has taken up the barkeep job, and the other must be in one of the rooms upstairs or fucked off. Unless he's banging a guest I am NOT paying him.

Gotta go look. Spaboy say hello.

-jM
A&D

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Guys, I'm intending to buy a watch for my husband for his bday. Budget is around $3k. He has a stuffy finance job and dresses ultra conservative for work (this would be a watch he could wear every day). The watches he has now are an Oris and a Brietling. Both look very simple/classic to me. Metal bracelets. I don't think he'd go for leather strap. In any case I want to get him another very classic looking watch. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction for brands I should look at or any other suggestions? I'm a noob and don't really know what I'm doing.

Thx in advance.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
These are gorgeous. But seem not so easy to get? I need to be able to buy from somewhere reputable. I know a very simpleton question: are black faces still considered classic and its simply a matter of preference? I can't stress enough, super classic guy. Navy peacoat kinda fellow but also considers himself discriminating. If its too flashy he thinks its tacky.

I was looking at some Baume et Merciers. Clifton or Classimas. Thoughts?

Thanks very much.

spaboy

TRIBE Member
These are gorgeous. But seem not so easy to get? I need to be able to buy from somewhere reputable. I know a very simpleton question: are black faces still considered classic and its simply a matter of preference? I can't stress enough, super classic guy. Navy peacoat kinda fellow but also considers himself discriminating. If its too flashy he thinks its tacky.

I was looking at some Baume et Merciers. Clifton or Classimas. Thoughts?

Thanks very much.
B&M's are nice. He would probably love the Junghans Max Bill Chrono. Comes in Leather but goes for about 2k so plenty of room to get a sexy bracelet too. Also available in black or white dial

The Sinns can be ordered through that baller watch store at the base of the Hazelton hotel. I always forget its name.

Online has WAY better prices. You can still get warranty and return if necessary too

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
The Sinns can be ordered through that baller watch store at the base of the Hazelton hotel. I always forget its name.

Online has WAY better prices. You can still get warranty and return if necessary too
Louis Black. I've gone through them to order a Sinn before. Watchbuys is the american AD but you will get hit for duty.

All that said a watch is something so aesthetically personal/close to the bone that my wife would never buy a watch for me unless she knew it was one I had my eye on (she's called and asked another one of my watch nerd buddies in the past). I would never buy my wife perfume for similar reasons and $3k on a watch is a $3k bet one whether or not he will like it or whether you just gave him a $3k drawer queen. Another thing with dudes (uhh me at least) is that watches are sometimes milestone self-presents so he may be planning to buy something once he closes a big deal/gets a promotion he's gunning for, etc. If he has any ideas about watches and what he likes (or doesn't want because too many/a specific individual at the office has one), it may be worth talking it over with him first. Not as romantic/spontaneous I know but for some people watches are very personal thing with a lot of contemplation/nostalgia that goes into one's preferences.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
agreed. unless it was something she knows i have my eye on my SO would never even contemplate picking something out for me. most guys i know are similar.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
This Junghans is EXACTLY his style and the look I was going for. Thank you!

Mephisto those are good points. I'm gonna risk it as I think I have pretty good handle on his style and he often respects my opinion on stuff even if a bit out of my wheelhouse like suits, watches, etc. and agree; he's also the type to splurge on a watch for a personal milestone. It's for his 40th so I hope he'll appreciate the gesture from me.

Thank you all for your help. What did we conclude on white face/black?

spaboy

TRIBE Member
I'm partial to the black face. I find it highlights the beautiful domed sapphire glass much nicer. Gets a little lost in the white IMO

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vise

TRIBE Member
agreed. unless it was something she knows i have my eye on my SO would never even contemplate picking something out for me. most guys i know are similar.
Yeah same, even though I was lucky enough to be gifted a watch by my wife she knew it was one I'd wanted for years. Otherwise I frankly would want to be in charge of the purchase... as I try to be with most other things in my house (not always successfully).

Speaking of watches, just got back from a long weekend in Chicago... spent an hour or so in the Tourbillon shop on Michigan Ave. Super nice staff and they let me try on everything... my favourites were a couple pieces by Blancpain, Jacquet Droz, and Glasshute. The Glasshute PanoMatic Counter XL was just ridiculous. Absolutely beautiful pieces that made the rest of the Omega selection look fairly ordinary... unfortunately the least expensive watch I was into started around $23k. Next trip maybe. :)

Also popped into the other watch store across the street, it was full of Hublot's, Graham's and Audemar Piquet ROs/ROOs which seemed a bit over the top relative to the stuff I tried on earlier. They also had a few Richard Mille's which made my head explode, those things are nuts.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
This Junghans is EXACTLY his style and the look I was going for.

Thank you all for your help. What did we conclude on white face/black?
Is the mesh bracelet something he would be into? Black face on a mesh bracelet changes the character of the watch a bit. Try to handle it in the flesh/metal if you can to get a good feel for it.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I feel like this watch really lends itself to the leather strap. So what I'll do is get in the leather strap and let him know we can also order the bracelet as another option. Hence my question on black face. Seems risky in the the metal bracelet. A little fruity? Where's Mofo when you need confirmation!

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Personally I'm never a big fan of thin dress mesh bands. I do however like the beefier shark mesh you find on diver bracelets.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
what kind of breitling does he have? might be easier to gauge his taste knowing that.

nomos would be another good option if there wasn't a hangup on the bracelet

nb:

fwiw: