• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

was the lucky loonie (slc olympics) a secret?

kuba

TRIBE Member
my roommate says that he KNEW before the end of the olympics, that the lucky loonie buried underneath centre ice was there. he claims that the ice maker told cbc during an interview, before the gold medal game.

I say that it was a secret all along, until AFTER the olympics.

The Salt Lake Loonie was buried surreptitiously at centre ice before the men and women's 2002 Olympic Ice Hockey tournaments. The Canadian in charge of monitoring ice conditions in Salt Lake City, felt the Loonie would not only make a perfect centre-ice dot in the E-Centre Arena, but would also bring luck to his hockey playing countrymen and women. After Team Canada's second hockey Gold Medal victory the Loonie was dug-up and presented to Team Canada General Manager Wayne Gretzky. Today the "Salt Lake Loonie" landed in its new home at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Does anybody have definite proof?

AVE

TRIBE Member
according to

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2002/03/08/Sports/slc-loonie020308.html

The loonie, which Gretzky and the rest of Team Canada's braintrust was well aware of, became Canada's lucky charm.

"Trent told us about it the day we arrived and it was kept a great secret to the end," Team Canada head coach Pat Quinn admitted on Friday.

"I probably told a dozen people within Team Canada, people I felt could be trusted with the secret," Evans added. "If they wanted to use that as motivation for the men's and women's teams, well, that was great."

so no, i dont think anyone outside Team Canada knew about it until it was over. your roomate is delusional

octo

TRIBE Member
was the gold medal game the last event of the olympics?
cause after the game everyone knew and the olypmics weren't over

kuba

TRIBE Member
he claims that the ice rink maker told CBC before the last game (gold medal game) of the olympics.

our disagreement is that the whole world knew BEFORE the gold medal game, not before the olympics ended.

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
he claims that the ice rink maker told CBC before the last game (gold medal game) of the olympics.

our disagreement is that the whole world knew BEFORE the gold medal game, not before the olympics ended.

I've got the book detailing the double gold that year, and aside from team canada personel, no-one knew.

The girls almost blew it though, (HA!) by kissing centre ice after their win the day before the boys took to the ice.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
my roommate says that he KNEW before the end of the olympics, that the lucky loonie buried underneath centre ice was there. he claims that the ice maker told cbc during an interview, before the gold medal game.

I say that it was a secret all along, until AFTER the olympics.

The Salt Lake Loonie was buried surreptitiously at centre ice before the men and women's 2002 Olympic Ice Hockey tournaments. The Canadian in charge of monitoring ice conditions in Salt Lake City, felt the Loonie would not only make a perfect centre-ice dot in the E-Centre Arena, but would also bring luck to his hockey playing countrymen and women. After Team Canada's second hockey Gold Medal victory the Loonie was dug-up and presented to Team Canada General Manager Wayne Gretzky. Today the "Salt Lake Loonie" landed in its new home at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Does anybody have definite proof?
Isn't this the second thread on something you roommate claims, that you doubt? Either he makes up lots of tales or you guys have trust issues! :p

kuba

TRIBE Member
my roommate and I enter into many discussions while drinking lots of alcohol.

i never believe anything he says.

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
I don't have any sources or anything but I definitely remember hearing about it watching hockey during those olympics... maybe it was during the gold meal game? Maybe I'm tripping?

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

kittridge

TRIBE Member
nonlocal said:
I don't have any sources or anything but I definitely remember hearing about it watching hockey during those olympics... maybe it was during the gold meal game? Maybe I'm tripping?
YES!

This is exactly what I was saying! They aired an interview with the guy who makes the ice and they were saying blah blah blah what a big deal it was that they flew a Canadian in so the ice would be perfect. Then they mentioned as just an anecdote how he put the loonie in the ice.

dabeats

TRIBE Member
timeline?

on the subject of coins being embedded...i guess there was one embedded at centre ice in raleigh and ryan smyth took it out before game 5.

Calgary Sun

RALEIGH -- Luck had absolutely nothing to do with it. Guts, resilience and a shorthanded goal by Fernando Pisani in overtime did.

When Ryan Smyth spotted an American silver dollar embedded at centre ice during the Edmonton Oilers morning skate at the RBC Center yesterday, he chipped it out with the blade of his stick.

The dollar chipped out by Smyth was replaced by the RBC Center maintenance staff before the opening face-off.

However, it was Pisani, and not the loss of a lucky buck and subsequent return, who beat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 in dramatic fashion last night in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup with the Oilers on the brink of elimination. The series returns to Rexall Place for Game 6 Saturday.

Money in the bank.

"It happened so quick," said Pisani, who knocked down a bad pass by Cory Stillman and beat Carolina stopper Cam Ward top shelf on a breakaway 3:31 into overtime.

"It was in my pants and I threw it down and kind of took a quick look and saw that he (Ward) was kind of over to the blocker side and I just shot it at the top half of the net."

On a night the Hurricanes looked like they'd parlay three powerplay goals to a Stanley Cup celebration, it was, ironically, Pisani who settled it with Steve Staios in the box for tripping when he waltzed in on Ward and beat the rookie netminder for his second goal of the game.

"Totally ironic," Oilers forward Michael Peca said of Pisani's winner. "But there's never once been a moment where we felt we were out of any game or any series at any time. That's allowed us to come back and fight and scratch.

"He (Pisani) isn't fazed by pressure. He's scored big goals for us in the regular season and in the playoffs. It's fitting to see a guy like him get those two big goals."

Pisani opened the scoring on a deflection just 16 seconds into the game and he closed it with his 12th of the post-season to send the Oilers home trailing 3-2 in the series.

Nothing lucky about that.

"It was great to see," smiled Smyth, asked if he changed the Oilers luck by plucking the dollar out of the ice. "It turned out that way tonight but by no means is this series over."

kuba

TRIBE Member
kittridge said:
YES!

This is exactly what I was saying! They aired an interview with the guy who makes the ice and they were saying blah blah blah what a big deal it was that they flew a Canadian in so the ice would be perfect. Then they mentioned as just an anecdote how he put the loonie in the ice.
Anecdotal evidence is worth about as much as polish currency.

NOTHING.