• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Warning for skiers & boarders

depraved

TRIBE Member
Those retractible locks are easily defeated. Twist the skis until there's enough tension in the cable & the retractible end pops open so that the ski slides right out.

Boarders are advised to loop the cable thru the binding.

And those ski key thingies have only a few unique keys, so somebody w/ the same key can open yours.

After I replace my stolen gear :)mad:), I'll be double locking (ski key + retractible) each ski separately in vastly different locations.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
When I go boarding and I take a break, I always try to get my board locked up somewhere near where I'll be able to watch it.

I can't stand the fact some punkass would steal someone else's board... :mad:

raaven

TRIBE Member
you'd think they'd do something about this.

i've been skiing for years and spent most of them ski racing around new york and beyond. and it rarely, rarely happened (i actually didn't know anyone that had their stuff stolen) and our equipment was worth a lot.

people these days. i don't get it. can't trust anyone anymore. no one has respect for other people's stuff anymore :mad:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ALEKSANDRA

TRIBE Member
Just carry your shit inside and set it down where you eat. If they yell at you, tell them to "get some better f*ckin security or you'll bust a cap on their ass!"

Problem settled. :D

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
were your skis visibly a high end model?

I have one of the retractable and am happy with it, knowing that it's a visual deterrent againts pickup-and-go's. I don't think people would go to the trouble of busting it unless what was being locked up was a considerably high end model, no?

lucky1

TRIBE Member
the long standing trick with skis is to seperate the skis and lock up with your friends skis in two seperate places.

with boards we put ours against the window and sit beside them.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheap Ego

I have one of the retractable and am happy with it, knowing that it's a visual deterrent againts pickup-and-go's. I don't think people would go to the trouble of busting it unless what was being locked up was a considerably high end model, no?
I also tend to lock mine up next to a high end model

that way mine looks shittier

sucks about your stuff depraved

i also do the separate ski thing when i'm skiing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sk8
i also do the separate ski thing when i'm skiing.
Yeah, but some punks think that since you outsmarted them, they are going to piss you off by moving one of your skiis to some other rack so that you spend 20 minutes trying to find it. ;)

Cheers ... Ian :)

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Am I the only person that's never locked my board of skis?

In fact, I don't know any that's ever locked their board.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious

You go out and spend a grand on your equipment, then come back and state this again :p

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
When does equipment ever cost less than a grand?

That seems pretty standard to me.

Whether it costs a grand or a few hundred, they're both more than I can afford to lose.

I've never felt that there was anything to be afraid of. I see people leave their stuff unlocked all the time.

...besides, even a chain is easily defeated if you're equipped with bolt cutters.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Sorry, I've seen a lot of boards that are worth maybe $2-300 with bindings... but when your board is ~$1000 with bindings, it's a huge difference IMO to replace it.

Yes no one wants to replace anything.
But when someone's got the Newest Burton or SIMS or whatever, they're most likely going to get stolen over the WalMart board ;)

And of course, locks are just to try and make them take longer than just picking them up and walking away.

Hopefully by the time someone is trying to figure out my lock, I can have enough time to go out and beat them silly with a ski ;)

pr0nstar :D

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious

I've been skiing since I was a kid and I've never owned a lock for my equipment.

~jen

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
I've been skiing since I was a kid and I've never owned a lock for my equipment.

~jen
Seriously.

Ever since my dad first taught me to ski at the age of 7, i've never locked anything and I've never seen my dad lock anything either.

...but now that Kenny has influenced paranoia, I think I will.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Honestly, I've been sitting there unlocking my board and seen kids looking for their boards, as they'd been stolen.

I think it all depends on the time/day/location...

But I always do it just incase... why not buy a $20 lock to at least keep the thieves away or at least make them think twice.

pr0nstar

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Oh it's not worth that anymore :p It's a few years old.

But when I bought it ... probably what it was worth. ;)

I'm more concerned with them stealing my bindings these days.. lol

pr0nstar :D

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Also, if you're gonna steal a board will, just go grab a Transworld Magazine, look at all the new boards, memorize them...

And take the good Burtons ;)

The new Burton T6 is $600US for just the board ;)

The T6 is truly next-generation technology tuned to fit the needs of riders like Terje Haakonsen who ride anywhere and everywhere. The Alumafly core uses an aluminum honeycomb construction that is truly revolutionary. Utilizing the same technology in fighter jet and helicopter blade construction, Alumafly offers performance and weight savings that other pulp-based honeycomb cores can’t touch. The profiled tip-to-tail aluminum honeycomb core is precision-engineered to yield a new evolution in performance. We worked extensively with Terje to design and develop the T6 shape and feel. The board has moderate sidecut for superior agility and quick edge-to-edge response. The T6 represents a truly new ride evolution for riders who want a responsive board that can be ridden anywhere, anytime*.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Wow, Transworld is still around? What about Thrasher?

No stealing snowboards for me. I had a bad experience stealing snowboards when I was in high school.

Actually, the bad experience was that I got caught :(

depraved

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheap Ego

I too thought the lock & the fact that I locked them up in front of the ticket window & ski school (Mt Gabriel, QC) would be a good deterrent against getting them stolen.

Ya, my gear was high end (Atomic R:11 Ti, Device Xentrix 412 bindings) + new (& v. nice) Kerma poles that I used exactly 4 days.

I'm teaching and ski patrolling so I gotta replace them asap. Perfect timing too, with all the xmas bills on their way. Fack. :mad:

depraved

TRIBE Member
pr0nstar quoted:

The T6 is truly next-generation technology tuned to fit the needs of riders like Terje Haakonsen who ride anywhere and everywhere. The Alumafly core uses an aluminum honeycomb construction that is truly revolutionary. Utilizing the same technology in fighter jet and helicopter blade construction, Alumafly offers performance and weight savings that other pulp-based honeycomb cores can’t touch. The profiled tip-to-tail aluminum honeycomb core is precision-engineered to yield a new evolution in performance. We worked extensively with Terje to design and develop the T6 shape and feel. The board has moderate sidecut for superior agility and quick edge-to-edge response. The T6 represents a truly new ride evolution for riders who want a responsive board that can be ridden anywhere, anytime*.

There was a long dead ski company named Hexcell that produced skis using similar alum honeycomb tech about 30 years ago, so to say it's next gen is a bit of exaggeration.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories