• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

WARNING: Att'n Producers that send MP3's to Strangers...

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
What about using final scratch for tracks that are impossible to get on vinyl again... like super old skool shit...

even if you do find a copy of it now a days the artist would still receive no money... the used store would...

bob stone

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Angus Robinson
^^^

There are plenty of hard working DJs out there who DO support the music industry who could fill that spot nicely.

like me
(without the hard working part!?!)

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Angus Robinson
^^^

I know for a fact that D-Monic was only talking about tunes which are not available on vinyl yet. Like myself, he gets sent a lot of promos on CDR directly from labels and artists. These are the only CDRs we'll play. Also, as a label owner, it helps being able to test out your tracks on a dancefloor before sending them to press. If you find that something needs to be tweaked, you don't need to abandon the investment of 1000 vinyls, but rather just one CDR.

People who use CDRs and Final Scratch to play pirated material is something completely different, and cannot be tollerated. If it's discovered that a DJ is playing pirated material (and getting paid for it), it should be brought to the promoter's attention. There are plenty of hard working DJs out there who DO support the music industry who could fill that spot nicely.

WORD!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
nice juan. i'm down with that steez as a whole.

but where do you draw the line? what about bootlegs that violate copyright? there's no clear line here as intellectual property really is a sketchy issue regardless if you firmly (as i do) believe the artist should be compensated for his/her hard work. we're not just dealing with 'material' transactions here, it gets quite complicated and consequently a 'righteous' approach just seems misguided.

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
well, to be fair, most bootlegs are in NO way detracting from the sampled artist's income. a white label remix of a track that has 1500 pressed barely makes a dent in terms of global distribution, and so would probably pass under the financial radar of any label...it would cost significantly more to investigate the publisher of the boot and take legal action than there would have been profit.

in many cases, it could be argued that underground boots ADD to the popularity of a sampled mainstream artist. besides giving many tracks a "new lease on life" and prompting people to hunt down cd's by otherwise forgotten artists, the whole bootlegging process gives a specific audience - hardcore underground dance fans - access to (lets face it mostly pop music) material that they otherwise wouldnt have heard.

cd piracy is a theft of a direct product, at the end of the production process...it robs people who usually have invested capital, that is to say, money they cant fuck around with.

i NEED to make money off of music. know why? ive invested about 20000 out of my pocket over the years, and to keep doing it, i need whatever i can get as a damage control. its a well kept secret how little money there is in this industry most of the time...as an artist, one of the redeeming factors is seeing/hearing tracks of mine played around the globe. the severly optimistic would say "well isnt that enough?" and assume that Im greedy. But honestly, NO, it isnt enough. Its great, and its the main reason, but at some point in my life, I'd like to come close to breaking even. This is a crowded boat to be on, as most producers and Dj's are in the same situation. Cd piracy dips into what little cash there is to be made, which, if being realistic, is not in fact money being MADE, but simply debt being reduced on the part of the artist in question.

1500 copies of a bootleg could hardly be said to do the same ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
from what i know, the average is about a thousand or so, though input from label owners on this might be helpful.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by !Myagi!
in many cases, it could be argued that underground boots ADD to the popularity of a sampled mainstream artist. besides giving many tracks a "new lease on life" and prompting people to hunt down cd's by otherwise forgotten artists, the whole bootlegging process gives a specific audience - hardcore underground dance fans - access to (lets face it mostly pop music) material that they otherwise wouldnt have heard.
your entire response was really well elucidated but i must pose to you this question:

if someone released an unauthorized reworking of a track of yours that is out of print, what would be your reaction?

(alright, i'm secretly working on a hhc remix of 'wish you well') ;)

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
HEHE!! fine by me man! as far as im concerned, just so long as someone doesnt repress a single of mine without telling me, i couldnt care less. from a busniess perspective, they'r taking money that doesnt exist for me anyway - they're not undercutting me, so why should i care?

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
well it would piss me right off...

that's why you need to have a good lawyer friend like I have... never make fun of the dorks in high school... you'll get some good business contacts...

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
FS and CDJs are cool, but shouldn' be the whole show, simply another element to bolster the turntable antics, IMO.

Just wanted to clarify my earlier statement.

As for Myagi, yeah, what he said. Except that last bit about if someone pressed an out of print track it's ok. I think it only fair I should get paid for that. If they can sell it, that means there's a market for it, and that means they ARE taking away money from my pocket. However, if someone ripped a 1 bar loop of mine and incorporated it into there track, I don't think that is so unfair, but I may still try and get summin' out of it...electricity ain't free, ya know!

bye bye

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DSV
FS and CDJs are cool, but shouldn' be the whole show, simply another element to bolster the turntable antics, IMO.

Just wanted to clarify my earlier statement.

As for Myagi, yeah, what he said. Except that last bit about if someone pressed an out of print track it's ok. I think it only fair I should get paid for that. If they can sell it, that means there's a market for it, and that means they ARE taking away money from my pocket. However, if someone ripped a 1 bar loop of mine and incorporated it into there track, I don't think that is so unfair, but I may still try and get summin' out of it...electricity ain't free, ya know!

bye bye

sorry - to clarify - i am NOT for pressing out of print material - get some balls, dig out the wallet and hunt down an original, or, in some cases, use a cdr. but unauthed repressing is just oportunism

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
This "gizboy" just messaged me after I charted the following on NuBreaks.

Price Cuts & Yoshi - Basstrap (Myagi Remix)

Here's the conversation.

[11:43] .:GizBoy:.: hey
[11:43] .:GizBoy:.: where did u get that myagi new track you show in your charts?
[11:43] .:GizBoy:.: i got
[11:43] .:GizBoy:.: myagi - ***** (track name removed cause it doesn't need to be known)
[11:44] .:GizBoy:.: do u want it?
[18:06] Eclectic: I don't think so....

Then after alerting Andrew to this guy....I got the following.

[22:22] .:GizBoy:.: trade?
[22:22] .:GizBoy:.: you are silly
[22:22] Eclectic: huh?
[22:22] .:GizBoy:.: bye monkey

Weird.....

Last edited:

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
mark messaged me about this really quickly....he's been one of my wailing walls for a couple years now and thanks to him, i now know of someone who is BLACK LIST ED!!!!!

seriously though, this is a little close to home. as far as im concerned, no more mp3s are posted from me...im glad the version he has of this track is super early though, because a lot of work went into the finished product

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
one of these days i'm going to get around to a long detailed arguement on how copyright is not in the best interests of the artist.

but i've got two more thirty page essays to write before then.

this GIZBOY is a penis to be sure but i still think that copyright and how you guys seem to approach it simply isn't a matter of 'stealing' but is more nuanced and problematic.

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah
one of these days i'm going to get around to a long detailed arguement on how copyright is not in the best interests of the artist.

but i've got two more thirty page essays to write before then.

this GIZBOY is a penis to be sure but i still think that copyright and how you guys seem to approach it simply isn't a matter of 'stealing' but is more nuanced and problematic.

Fair enough. That said, when the tracks in question have not yet been RELEASED, and when he has a version that was obviously passed around by someone "in the know" - who I would have sent an mp3 to thinking they wouldnt trade it...theres a whole different issue at work. I dont really care about my music being distributed after its put out. Thats unavoidable, and theres no point in fighting it. My concern is simply that a track which is in queue for release could potentially be dropped on account of someone I trusted leaking mp3s.

Thats it.

Times are changing...I used to like posting tracks in forums for people to grab and play if they want to, but obviously those days are over for not just myself, but anyone who intends to have material published.