• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Warehouse location for a NYE party?

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
My friends and I are trying to figure out our plans for New Years Eve.

One idea we thought of was just throwing a party with our circle of friends and DJs we know. It would be awesome to just throw a warehouse style party and rent the equipment and lighting needed.

Fellow Tribers, any thoughts or insights into trying to do something like this? We'd like to go until 5AM I'm sure so I'm guessing most traditional party halls or small clubs would be out of the question.

Are there places out there that could accommodate something like this cheaply?

Stop Bill C-10

JamesM

TRIBE Member
There's a Steve Lawler party happening soon at a wharehouse.

Not sure how much money it would cost though.

lol yeah Erika Sterling. I just noticed that. :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There are some spaces on Eastern Avenue with event/short term lease signs on them...

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
I just emailed Metropolis. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I'm already working with two other locations! Wow, this might actually happen.

mattt416

TRIBE Member
renting any party space/equipment on NYE will come at a premium ... so unless you know people with a place or stuff then you're probably going to have to fork out quite a bit of $$$. :(

erika

TRIBE Member
^
I'm not surprised; even though they are a warehouse space, their street is full of single family homes.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
^
I'm not surprised; even though they are a warehouse space, their street is full of single family homes.

sterling is surrounded by homes too (one of them being mine) and if some jackass is bumping tunes at 3am on NYE while I'm trying to sleep off my inevitable hangover i will 120% be calling in a noise complaint too.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Sterling is much of an isolated industrial area, with the exception of those quasi-legal artist spaces when compared to Edwin, the street Metropolis is on. Edwin is primarily a residential street and Metropolis has single family homes literally adjacent and across from their space.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
the artist spaces were what i was referring to. there are often late-night ragers in there as well as in some sketchy spaces over top of the body shops etc right across ruttan st from there.

this is no more than 50 or 60 ft from a large townhouse development, a mid rise condo and the other townhouse development less than 40 ft across the street on the north side of bloor.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I know, but that's quite a bit different than being embedded on a residential street. Sterling is a street that has a large 24 hour factory and has historically been zoned for industrial use. The city even has blocked applications for condos to preserve that land use and associated jobs. So even though there is some proximity, it is still an apples to oranges comparison.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Again Im talking about a completely different part of Sterling. The part of the street you're talking about is the part south of the work/live lofts and you're absolutely right... there is a barely any residential space there. you could probably set a bomb off down there without bothering anyone.

The part north of and adjacent (both sides) to the work/live spaces (which again is the part I was referring to) is full developed and is about as residential as you can get.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I gotcha. You're right, that part of the street is more residential - at the top nearing Bloor it's even completely so. Where they hold most of the bigger parties however is closer to the southern end, in that circus school or more recently, the old automotive tower, which I didn't know was open for events. I went to an illegal art party there about five years back and and just as most of us were entered the top few floors it was surrounded by about a dozen or so squad cars and wagons. Good fun!

octo

TRIBE Member
sterling is surrounded by homes too (one of them being mine) and if some jackass is bumping tunes at 3am on NYE while I'm trying to sleep off my inevitable hangover i will 120% be calling in a noise complaint too.

adam vaughan, is that you?