• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

want free TTC? just be an assclown.

thom100

TRIBE Member
I read this this morning on my way in - anyone going to try and stiff them for the $2.75?

T.T.C. operators say their treatment isn’t fair so they may not be collecting your fare.

The head of the city’s Amalgamated Transit Union issued a declaration of war on Wednesday, complaining management hasn’t done enough to stop assaults on transit drivers.

Bob Kinnear is livid that 70 percent of his members have been attacked at some point in their careers and 40 percent have faced violence in the past year alone.

They’re regularly spit on, punched, kicked and verbally abused by overly aggressive passengers. And many of the problems stem from arguments over fares.

As a result, operators have been instructed by the union not to create any confrontations. And that may mean unscrupulous travellers could ride for free.

“We will not put our safety and our incomes at risk for $2.75,” Kinnear relates.

“The policy of the T.T.C. is that operators can use their discretion in deciding whether or not to try to enforce the proper payment of fares. That is what we will now be doing. We will be using our discretion.”

That’s music to the ears of a woman named Jane, who drives a bus for the Commission.

She doesn’t want her full name used because her three kids don’t know about what happened when a passenger boarded her vehicle as she drove her regular route last November.

But she’ll never forget it.

“He began calling me names, grabbing me by my tie, choking me, punching me in the head, pulling my arm back behind me and the whole time the bus was moving,” she shudders.

The still distraught driver believes the public sees only the bus – not what really goes on behind the wheel.

“Our job is very dangerous,” Jane contends. “People don't see that … I didn't sign up to be spit on, punched in the face. It has to be stopped.”

According to Kinnear, this job action is designed to ensure it does just that.

But don’t expect Red Rocket brass to go along with the idea.

“We cannot tolerate a situation where drivers refuse to collect fares,” T.T.C. Chair Howard Moscoe notes in response.

G.M. Rick Ducharme denies the Commission is ignoring a growing problem, and examined the issue in a report last year. He claims based on those results, changes have already been made.

“Last fall I got full support by the commission to have a transferable pass,” he reminds. “We looked at the student I.D. ... we looked at a transfer and can we look at maybe longer transfer times? We're continuing to look at those things. So the task force itself came back with these recommendations ... and we did implement them.”

The T.T.C. has already committed to having cameras onboard all buses citywide, and some drivers are demanding safety shields be put into the vehicles as well.

But Moscoe is sure there’s an ulterior motive to the A.T.U.’s methods.

“I think the union's concern relates to a whole lot of other labour issues that won't get a lot of public sympathy, so they’re trotting this one out,” he maintains.

That won’t do much to placate Kinnear or his members, who vow to stop enforcing fare collection until they’re satisfied management has heard their concerns and can keep them safe.

It’s one stop both sides agree is important. But no one’s sure yet just how to get there.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
me (walking onto bus/streetcar, and not paying fare)

driver: excuse me sir, would you please deposit $2.75 into the box...

me: no

driver: arite, here's your transfer...(closes door, continues on his/her route)

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
tobywan said:
me (walking onto bus/streetcar, and not paying fare)

driver: excuse me sir, would you please deposit $2.75 into the box...

me: no

driver: arite, here's your transfer...(closes door, continues on his/her route)

what is your reasoning for not paying the fare?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
Are the employees asking for concessions to make a safer work place or is this how it is just going to be? I think it is only fair if the TTC can make there work environment as safe a possible i.e. CCT cameras, sheilding etc. But a driver/fair collectors job is to collect fairs and refusing to do so should be grounds for termination.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
ravinjunkie said:
what is your reasoning for not paying the fare?
Um, knowing that the driver won't put up much of an argument for fear of the situation escalating into me spitting on/punching/kicking him/her?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
When you raise your rates beyond acceptable limits this is how a public already on the brink of snapping will re-act. These people are pissed because they feel ripped off by a ticket price that has exceeded inflation by over %100.

Its time to bankrupt the TTC and let its bad debts go to collections.

TRO

TRIBE Member
my father worked for the TTC for 30 years and I support the amalgimated transit union's decison to do this sort of 'protest'...it won't stop me from paying the full fare but also I have to wonder are they're other reasons for doing this? reasons that wouldn't have the support if they made the light of day unlike this?

but seriously guys...it's 2.75 it's still relitivly cheap to get anywhere in toronto....just pay the fare...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Aren't they going to an automated system sometime soon? Although it won't do much to prevent an uncooperative passenger from getting on. If the angst is indeed centered around the payment of fares, at least having a prepayment system will place the point of purchase where there is no driver to take it out on.

gasper

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
When you raise your rates beyond acceptable limits this is how a public already on the brink of snapping will re-act. These people are pissed because they feel ripped off by a ticket price that has exceeded inflation by over %100.

Its time to bankrupt the TTC and let its bad debts go to collections.
$2.75 is a good price. If it's too expensive it's likley because you're within walking distance of your destination. The fact that I can go from the 427 & Bloor to Victoria Park for $2.75 is more shocking than the basic fare.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
What is a safety shield?

I always side with the employees but this time, I'm indifferent. I mean, who gets the luxury of being at a safe workplace all the time? It's customer service.
Maybe the TTC should get conflict mediation training instead. Ha.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
$2.75 is a good price. If it's too expensive it's likley because you're within walking distance of your destination. The fact that I can go from the 427 & Bloor to Victoria Park for $2.75 is more shocking than the basic fare.

really cause for 2 bucks you can travel all 5 new york boroughs. for 1.50 you can travel every part of the san fran system with the exception of the trollies and for 2 you can do montreal which covers a larger distance and has more lines and more stops.

Its not cheap it went up in price by almost %100 in the ten years I loved in TO. During which they reduced services increased advertisements and added all of 4 stops to the system. Its inflated by more than twice the prime rate and nearly 4 times inflation. If beer had done the same a pint would cost alomst $11.

Sorry its neither cheap nore is it all that high quality. They charge a pretty penny for rent to the business's they support and a pretty penny to the advertisers. Instead of reducing costs this has gone into executive salaries and lobbying the government for money.

Rather than blowing $100 million on union station alone maybe they should be looking at a fare decrease and getting ridership back.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
Aren't they going to an automated system sometime soon? Although it won't do much to prevent an uncooperative passenger from getting on. If the angst is indeed centered around the payment of fares, at least having a prepayment system will place the point of purchase where there is no driver to take it out on.

Can't do it without replacing all the ticket collectors who are unionized. We don't need them they serve no purpose on a modern system but they have union jobs for life.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders