• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Wal-Mart; the high cost of low prices

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Has anybody here seen this doccumentary?

I had been hearing a lot of hype around it so I'm finally watchign it to see what the hypes all about. Seems highly over rated. The production seems juvenile and pedestrial. Not at all the clever, witty, compelling doccumentary I had been led to expect. I'd like to see what a better producer could do with this subject though.

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
The thread seems juvenile and pedestrial. Not at all the clever, witty, post I had been led to expect. I'd like to see what a better triber could do with this subject though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
Frontline's "Is Walmart Good for America" was better I thought.
Even though I'm anti-walmart, this "documentary" is questionable in that it was financed by the labour unions trying to set-up shop in Walmart.

On a side note...it's the official stance of the Vatican that (roman) catholics should not shop @ Walmart because it denies it's workers the fundamental right to form unions.

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
Has anybody here seen this doccumentary?

I had been hearing a lot of hype around it so I'm finally watchign it to see what the hypes all about. Seems highly over rated. The production seems juvenile and pedestrial. Not at all the clever, witty, compelling doccumentary I had been led to expect. I'd like to see what a better producer could do with this subject though.
I agree, I was disappointed when I watched it. I'm not sure what their point was because it seemed like they were all over the map (touching on labour rights, Wal-Mart not putting money back into the communities (as promised), environmental issues, etc...) and as far as I'm concerned, they didn't really get to the meat of the story - it was very superficial. I guess I feel that it's a little silly for people to complain about these kinds of business practices when their elected government seems to allow it to continue... Maybe it's that they make so much money that they can afford lawsuit after lawsuit?
*shrug* Also, Wal-Mart isn't the only company that does these kinds of things.

Not quite related but if you haven't read it yet, there's an article that was written recently about Wal-Mart and Snapper and how Snapper pulled their products from Wal-Mart's shelves, it's not horrible -> http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/102/open_snapper.html

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
CIRCE (Sir C) said:
On a side note...it's the official stance of the Vatican that (roman) catholics should not shop @ Walmart because it denies it's workers the fundamental right to form unions.

very interesting. how'd you come accross that tidbit?

ioppoi29

TRIBE Member
The film was not financed by labour unions, but by a guy named Robert Greenwald. Basically he's a rich dude in the US entertainment industry who, to say the least, doesn't really like Bush... and in this case Walmart. His work goes to prove, if you got the money, you can make any film you want. He has made a ton of anti-bush docs, among many others like Walmart, financed by his own pocket book... hence he can say anything he wants in his docs, and does not have to worry about a studio or network being too afraid to say something.

That being said, his docs have to be take with a grain of salt. The walmart doc is ok, but has a lot of propaganda in it. I think walmart is shit, and do believe a lot of which is in the doc. But it's the same thing with Michael Moore. I love his work, but can't only use his material to make my judgement.

Overall, I think walmart is a good example of how to kill the spirit of a small town and the people who have lived there for decades, without giving a care in the world. Go figure it was created in the States.

... I could go on for hours...

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
if nothing else they got one thing wrong for sure: at the end Brampton is in the list of places he 'claims' rejected wal-mart successfuly...

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
To my understanding Robert Greenwald was financed in-part by labor leader Andrew Stern, president of 1.7-million-member Service Employees International Union.

From the Second Vatican Council's Pastoral Constitution of the Church in the Modern World, issued by the Vatican in 1965 : "Among the basic rights of the human person must be counted the right of freely founding labor unions," the document declares. "These unions should be truly able to represent the workers and to contribute to the proper arrangement of economic life. Another such right is that of taking part freely in the activity of these unions without fear of reprisal."

Boo

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
"Of or pertaining to the feet; employing the foot or feet."
Ya, but who the fuck uses that term to describe a movie?

A guy that likes the smell of his own farts, thats who.

Boo

TRIBE Member
Bah, people hate on Wal-mart for the same reason they hate on America or celebraties. They see something successful and it makes them feel more important by getting on their high horse about how superior they are. America is the poster child for shadenfreud.

For the Wal-mart detractors, what would you prefer? Walmart leaves, smaller busineses open back up, offer less selection for twice the price. Low income people struggle to afford basic items, employment either falls, or remains the same, while wages and conditons either worsen or remain static (think a mom and pop store is unionized?)

Why aren't you bitter at zellers or tim Hortons? Is it because the walmart model is sucessful? I would say Tims has had just as detrimental effect on small town mom and pop diners and coffee shops as walmart, and there's 10 times as many tim hortons. They make min wage and not unionized, but its not stopping anyone here buying coffees.

Maybe some hippies don't need to buy their sandals at walmart for 3 bucks, but pay over a $100 for their 'stocks' and you don't need to shop there. But some do, and paying less helps them live a little better, and most people working at walmart enjoy working there. I personally don't know how someone wearing buttons on their uniform enjoys their job, but its not for me to decide.

Its just this mass-collective left wing 'Daily Show' opinion mentality annoys me. Wait for documentary to come out critcising Bush, McDonalds, Walmart, corporations, daily show commentary whatever - opinion is wrapped up in a neat little package, everyone agrees, but no one examines both sides - realizes that each side (the right wing lobby and the left wing hippies) each are full of a little bit of shit.

Pick off the shit and form your own opinion.

zoo

TRIBE Member
my problem with walmart is the pressure they apply on suppliers to either improve products or lower costs; it is dangerous to demand this type of continuous motion

there is a world of reasons for a company to engage in socially or ethically unresponsible behaviour, and wal-mart is adding yet another, and that's a "bad thing"

beta tester

TRIBE Member
I found the doc interesting, but I agree that it contains a hell of a lot of "spin".

I read thisarticle a few years back about Walmart and and Vlassic pickles. If you don't feel like reading, Walmart demands prices to be the same or cheaper every year. And they wanted to offer a 1 gallon jar of pickles for under $3. Essentially, ecause ofWalmart's demands caused Vlassic to actually started losing money, but Walmart made up such a huge portion of their business that they would lose even more should they choose not to do business with them. I'm sure there was a little supidity on Vlassic's part in there, and I'm not certain how other companies have faired, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Also, a friend of mine is a lobbyist for the meatpackers union in the Michigan State Senate and spends most of his time fighting against Walmart. They want to build a distribution centre and are asking for millions in government subsidies, meaning taxpayers will foot the building costs for a company that makes $9B in profits a year.

xopus

TRIBE Member
Boo said:
....Pick off the shit and form your own opinion.
what if our own opinions happen to agree with this "mass-collective left wing 'Daily Show' opinion mentality" as you put it?

My opinion of wal-mart is very less then favourable, and -- most likely to your suprise -- i've held that opinion far longer then the daily show has been around to 'tell me how to think' (quotes mine). Not everyone who shares the same beliefs as john stewart (or any other pundit for that matter) believe what they do because of what they are being told to believe. Sure there are always going to be Sheep, but imo, most of the people who are anti walmart have a very good understanding as to the evils of this company.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Boo said:
Its just this mass-collective left wing 'Daily Show' opinion mentality annoys me. Wait for documentary to come out critcising Bush, McDonalds, Walmart, corporations, daily show commentary whatever - opinion is wrapped up in a neat little package, everyone agrees, but no one examines both sides - realizes that each side (the right wing lobby and the left wing hippies) each are full of a little bit of shit.

<3

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Boo said:
Ya, but who the fuck uses that term to describe a movie?

A guy that likes the smell of his own farts, thats who.
someone who is a poor typist and doesn't tend to proof-read. thats who.