• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Wal-mart photo printing sucks

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
The first time I went to them for colour processing a few years back, they scratched my negatives. So I never went back.

Now I've gone to them again (people at work made me) because I have mass printing to do and it was supposed to be the easiest, but now that I have the hundreds of photos back half of them are totally cropped off, and cropped in the worse possible way. The submitted dimensions were correct, it was the printing that was faulty.

So people, if you don't mind a half-assed job or don't care how shitty your pics print jobs are, go to Wal-mart.

You get what you pay for!

P.S. Black's sucks too.

swenard

TRIBE Member
I have been using wal-mart for quite some time and have never had a problem although I am not a hobby photographer like yourself and only takes pics of family and friends. I usually use Futureshop though, as they usually have some type of cheap special on for digital prints($0.15/ea right now).

My Mom, who is a professional photographer uses Henry's and says they can't be beat for quality. But I know she pays through the ass.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
yeah Henry's is expensive, but at least you're guaranteed the quality.

I miss Elpro. :( Ruby is the best ever.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
That’s what you get for going to Wal-mart and contributing to the American capitalistic economy. It’s a well know fact that they make little kids build missiles and weapons in the “electronics department”.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Bossypoo, show them the photos and they can do a reprint at no extra charge. And they should refund your money.

Go to Loblaw's. They are the best.
Black's bites unless you KNOW the person working there.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
i made the mistake of getting passport pics done at wal-mart. they charged me for a "portrait". $14 or some shit! i was pissed. they also told me i couldn't be wearing white so i went and "borrowed" some scrubs from the clothing department. lame.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
Bossypoo, show them the photos and they can do a reprint at no extra charge. And they should refund your money.

Go to Loblaw's. They are the best.
Black's bites unless you KNOW the person working there.
I've spent the majority of my time chasing the kids down for their submissions, two weeks past the deadline. So I'm not about to go dicking around with wal-mart again, I don't have time. With the amount of pieces I'm dealing with here it would take me a week just to deal with getting proper reprints. We're already falling behind, so nope.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Dude

Do you remeber me telling you about a walmart employee who was working at the photobooth who stole a few photos from Jamie and I?

A few years back I took some scandelous shots, nothing to crazy as we were raving it up. I went to have the film developed and when I got back to my jeep and was going through them I noticed I had doubles of all the pics minus a few. My girlfriend being the paranoid type starting getting nervous and worried. So I went back in and asked a few questions and after getting no response I finally asked for the manager. When he arrived all the sudden the pictures were found behind the photo booth. Pervs!

You really have to be careful these days. Luckliy things have moved to a digital age.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Fillmore said:
You really have to be careful these days. Luckliy things have moved to a digital age.
Yeah, now you can steal them without anyone knowing and post them on the interweb!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

littlejon

TRIBE Member
yeah, for cheap low-rent print jobs costco really isn't bad.

everyone is printing on the same machines and costco is using quality paper [i can't speak for the others]. i know loblaws will take your pix back until you like what you get.
it is all up to who is printing for you.

and there is a huge difference between a print job from costco | loblaws | shoppers and the rest compared to a job from a real lab.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
It's not like printing with these machines is rocket science. The images are right there, how hard is it to compare the data image with the printed image?

Oh wait, we're talking about people who are paid minimum wage and don't give a shit.

thom100

TRIBE Member
ugh when people cheap out on there film I get so sad. Would a painter got to costco to buy canvas , or a musician to Canadian tire for a drum kit?

Henry's is the very lowest end on lab you should be going to if you are serious about your film. It's not digital you only get one chance with the stuff.

And filmore, it doen't matter if you are going to walmart/blacks/shoppers if you submit certain shots to ANY lab they're going to end up in a lab collective book or in a lab techs personal collection .

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
And filmore, it doen't matter if you are going to walmart/blacks/shoppers if you submit certain shots to ANY lab they're going to end up in a lab collective book or in a lab techs personal collection .
Personally I think there should be some kind of special punishment for these morons. It is *such* an invasion of privacy and a complete betrayal of trust.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
i agree with you thom-
and i certainly would not take any medium format or black and white to anything less than henry's.

but if i have an image that has been created and already run through pshop and fixed to how i want it to be, there is no issue with taking it to a cheapie place to get many copies.

it just depends on the reason for the printing.
it is a matter of the correct tool for the job, and prices vary accordingly.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Fillmore said:
Dude

Do you remeber me telling you about a walmart employee who was working at the photobooth who stole a few photos from Jamie and I?

A few years back I took some scandelous shots, nothing to crazy as we were raving it up. I went to have the film developed and when I got back to my jeep and was going through them I noticed I had doubles of all the pics minus a few. My girlfriend being the paranoid type starting getting nervous and worried. So I went back in and asked a few questions and after getting no response I finally asked for the manager. When he arrived all the sudden the pictures were found behind the photo booth. Pervs!

Well, you're the one who took the photos. I would think the bigger perv would be you. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Rude1_247 said:
Personally I think there should be some kind of special punishment for these morons. It is *such* an invasion of privacy and a complete betrayal of trust.
If you have private photos, then don't take them to a place that employs high school kids p/t and expect them not to get giggly and do what teens do when you take in nekkid pics, like make copies for their "stash."

littlejon said:
i agree with you thom-
and i certainly would not take any medium format or black and white to anything less than henry's.

but if i have an image that has been created and already run through pshop and fixed to how i want it to be, there is no issue with taking it to a cheapie place to get many copies.

it just depends on the reason for the printing.
it is a matter of the correct tool for the job, and prices vary accordingly.
The only thing I would add to this is get to know your printer. If you're expecting high quality, take it to the guy that works there and is passionate about photography. The full timer that will take time out to help and explain methods to help your photos.

Good comparison Thom. There isn't a huge diff between going to Black's or Henry's quality-wise, but Black's has better customer service IMO. Both use higher end machines than the Walmart's and Future Shop's of the world. Where's Rentboy on this?

Boo

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
:D

yes the photolab monkey - snapshot customer relationship is sacrasanct and such a bond should never be broken.

There is a special corner of hell for these monsters.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
There isn't a huge diff between going to Black's or Henry's quality-wise, but Black's has better customer service IMO. Both use higher end machines than the Walmart's and Future Shop's of the world.

actually, high end labs and low rent block stores tend to use the the very same machines for printing.
and most of them are using the same papers, fuji archive.

so really, the only differences are in the eyes of the printer, and the quality control of the labs as far as handling the negatives and tossing back shitty prints.

a relationship with your printer is very important, i absolutely agree.

gasper

TRIBE Member
The cropping of photos seems like a HUGE error. One would almost have to go out of their way to screw up like that. Are you certain you gave them proper aspect ratio files for your prints (did you do the cropping yourself in advance)? What comes out of you digicam is likley not the same aspect ratio as a 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10 (all will require some cropping).

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
With the odd case where I may have missed something (a small handful in a large batch) I am certain the aspect ratios were correct.