• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Wacom Grapphire vs Intuos tablets

rentboy

TRIBE Member
oi.

i've been using a Grapphire tablet for a few years now. I need to purchase a new one and have been contemplating shelling out for the Intuos.

So, is it really worth it?

thanks

zoo

TRIBE Member
i just googled it and it doesn't look a whole lot different from the graphire

i use the graphire as a mouse replacement, though i alternate between pen and mouse these days to keep the RSI damage spread more thinly ..

rentboy

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
i just googled it and it doesn't look a whole lot different from the graphire

i use the graphire as a mouse replacement, though i alternate between pen and mouse these days to keep the RSI damage spread more thinly ..

i draw alot with mine, so i'm curious if there's really a big difference regarding pen handling/stroke pressure, etc with the Intuos.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
I have a Graphire 4. I've also had an older Intuous 2. Both are 4x5.

For basic drawing I don't think you're going to find much difference. I believe that the Graphire support 1024 levels of pressure, the Intuous 2048, but in real life, I'm not sure if you'll see anything. I find the Graphire to be smooth with good sampling - I odn;t see how the Intuous could be that much of an improvement. The Intuous has tilt sensing, but only Painter takes advantage of this IIRC.

Intuous supports different tools (pen, mouse, CAD puck, airbrush) Graphire doesn't other than the pen and mouse. Intuous also has a bunch of hot-keys that can be programmed with software to make it easier to performs operations; Graphire has a roller input and two hot keys so you're more limited.

If you're only using the tablet for cursor control and drawing, I'd say go Graphire; if you want something that has more flexibility, the Inuous might be the better answer.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Rataxès said:
I have a Graphire 4. I've also had an older Intuous 2. Both are 4x5.

For basic drawing I don't think you're going to find much difference. I believe that the Graphire support 1024 levels of pressure, the Intuous 2048, but in real life, I'm not sure if you'll see anything. I find the Graphire to be smooth with good sampling - I odn;t see how the Intuous could be that much of an improvement. The Intuous has tilt sensing, but only Painter takes advantage of this IIRC.

Intuous supports different tools (pen, mouse, CAD puck, airbrush) Graphire doesn't other than the pen and mouse. Intuous also has a bunch of hot-keys that can be programmed with software to make it easier to performs operations; Graphire has a roller input and two hot keys so you're more limited.

If you're only using the tablet for cursor control and drawing, I'd say go Graphire; if you want something that has more flexibility, the Inuous might be the better answer.

nice one mate, you just saved me a chunk of coin :)

I've been happy with the Grapphire anyway.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
i'm interested in how one of these can be used as a mouse replacement.. any more information on that zoo, or others?

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
stir-fry said:
i'm interested in how one of these can be used as a mouse replacement.. any more information on that zoo, or others?
It is treated as a mouse by Windows, has three buttons (tip, two buttons on the barrel) so all the clicking operations are there. Most tablets allow for relative tracking which speeds up moving aroudn on the screen.

I could never get used to click-drag and double-click with tablet. I'm also left-handed but mouse with my right, so I can 'double-fist' and draw with the tablet while mousing with the other hand.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
I just brought my old Graphire 4x5 to work to mess around with, wasn't using it at home... it's ok, but for me the key issue is surface area, the bigger the better... and they sure gouge for sizes over 4x5. If you like using a tablet I'd strongly consider spending 2x on the 6x8....

zoo

TRIBE Member
stirfry: it works the same as the small touchpad on a laptop

it works well, and i'm actually much faster with the pen than a mouse

the only problem is that since i'm so fast with the pen, i end up working a whole new set of muscles in my wrist and an damaging those at a faster rate

so i alternate back and forth

the pen is also somewhat inconvenient because you have to be 'thinking' about grabbing it after typing; it's not as natural as just moving your hand half a foot to the right as you would when grabbing the mouse --- but this is a good thing, since it means you're using your pen less and your keyboard more

i dunno if the benefit was worth the $150 i spent on the tablet, but at this point i'm willing to try anything to stop the pain in my wrist :/