• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

VW Reliability

MARCin

TRIBE Member
RumRogerz said:
... mercedes are very, very reliable cars...

This guy disagrees:

jeremy%20clarkson.jpg

On the topic of VW, I got a 98 golf, will get rid of it sometime this year, and no, I'm gonna get another Vdub.

sweetbabu

TRIBE Member
I had a 96 Jetta until a few months ago which is now sitting on a lawn with a for sale sign on it. :( I loved my car.
Yes the parts were expensive when i needed them, but the only huge problems I had were in the last two years. That isn't too bad for a car of 10 years old at that point. The big things in the last two years were the clutch and a broken strut.
Once my whole muffler fell off and rear shocks went I called it quits. I got that sucker up to 300 624 kms.

Would love a new rabbit but would miss the trunk space.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
RumRogerz said:
it's not weak at all.

VW in Germany is considered an average car. It's cheap, like Ford or Dodge is to us, so parts are cheap for them. Not for us, who have to pay for the shipping from Germany to Canada.
VW's from what i know, break down alot. I've heard terrible stories of all the shit that happens to the car, and i also know of 3 mechanics who absolutely hate working on them. Apparently, electronic issues run rampant in vw's. Not to mention their suspension system is very different than what we are used to. They use this strange wishbone axle on your front struts; my mechanic showed me one time (he had one up on the hoist). Looks complicated, not to mention, some of the parts are outrageously expensive.
My best story is with my buddy who had a tiptronic tranny in his vw. Only problem was, when the time came to replace the transmission fluid, the only port to drain the fluid was at the bottom of the transmission, which meant you needed special equipment to pump fresh fluid back into the tranny without it spilling all over the place (a special peice of equipment ONLY found at your local vw dealership). But not to worry; it only had a 250 dollar price tag for it ;)
Only reason they are so expensive here is because it's an import. They only offer the higher end models in Canada, much like what Mercedes and BMW do here. (however, bmw and mercedes are very, very reliable cars)

All in all.
If you are gonna get a VW please lease one with a full warranty. And then when your lease is up, get somethin else.

there, not so much of a weak argument anymore.

one could have concluded from your prior statement that hondas/toyotas/nissans in japan were cheap domestic cars.

or any other vehicle for that matter, is a cheap domestic given from whereit's made.

p.s/ BMWs and mercedes aren't so reliable anymore. horrible resale and you'll rarely see one last past 200K kms without any major drive train work.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bitchass

TRIBE Member
vw recall is for the MKIV body styles, only the older style Jettas and Golfs should be involved, like the City models.

kate

TRIBE Member
I had a '96 Jetta from 1997-1999 and was nearly killed in an accident on the Gardner 427 on-ramp by some guy cutting me off (charged with reckless driving, subsequently). The car saved my life!! It crumpled like a piece of paper but we both came out totally unscathed.

I now have a manual 2006 2.0 Jetta and let me tell you it is the funnest thing to drive EVER. Its so fast!! The only thing that drives me batty about it is the electrical sucks and a lite goes off every once in awhile that needs to be fixed, and for some reason our heated seats don't work. Other than that its the best car ever!!!

Lurker

TRIBE Member
I think the general consensus is that the electrics suck, and this goes for VW, Mercedes and BMW.

Guess, what? It's mostly BOSCH electrics in these anyways. Hopefully Bosch gets their shit together for the sake of these 3 brands since it's the weakest link in the picture.

swenard

TRIBE Member
the_fornicator said:
there, not so much of a weak argument anymore.

one could have concluded from your prior statement that hondas/toyotas/nissans in japan were cheap domestic cars.

or any other vehicle for that matter, is a cheap domestic given from whereit's made.

p.s/ BMWs and mercedes aren't so reliable anymore. horrible resale and you'll rarely see one last past 200K kms without any major drive train work.

I agree that Mercedes (don't know about BMW) are huge liabilities as well. A freidn of mine spent over $100,000 for his Merc and it was in the shop for electrical problems more then my car. He ended up trading it in and buying a Caddy, which he loves to death! But... As for engine reliabilty, I have been looking at Merc's in the paper and there are lots with over 600,000km's on them!!!!!!

kyfe

TRIBE Member
the only years to stay away from w/VW's are 01-03 everything else is typical in terms of repair costs for VW.

If you properly maintain your car it will run like magic, if you're looking for something to drive into the ground looks elsewhere because once you stop doing the work the problems will continue to mount.

I still have my 93 it runs well for a car with 200+ on it and for it's year, the only problem I've had witht he car was the tranny blowing which cost me about $900 to get a new one installed.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
^^^ $900 for a tranny install isn't a bad deal at all. 200hp on what? A vr6 or a 2L 16V?

It's a bitch of a job to do, and on a 93 it's easiest to lift the whole motor & gearbox out together.

I'm guessing you did the clutch while you were in there?

swenard

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
^^^ $900 for a tranny install isn't a bad deal at all. 200hp on what? A vr6 or a 2L 16V?

It's a bitch of a job to do, and on a 93 it's easiest to lift the whole motor & gearbox out together.

I'm guessing you did the clutch while you were in there?

I think he means 200+km's

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I've got a 98 Jetta that got me and a trailer full of junk across the country problem-free. It also starts on the first turn every time, even in -30 degree weather.

I've only had it for 6 months, but nothing serious has come up. The only problem that I'm having with it now is that the trunk won't open and I think it's because it's frozen or something.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
For all you people badmouthing Audi... I love my A4. Sure the control arms need replacing relatively frequently... and there are a few wonky electrical hiccups... but the 2.8 engine has been SOLID and it drives like a dream.

I rode in a 1986 Audi 200 turbo with 450K on it last week and it still drove amazingly.

There are definitely problems to be aware of, but in terms of driving feel, I think Audis are the bomb.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
I
I've only had it for 6 months, but nothing serious has come up. The only problem that I'm having with it now is that the trunk won't open and I think it's because it's frozen or something.

My 95 Golf had a bad problem with the door locks seizing up in the winter. In fact I broke the driver side lock cylinder 3 times over the life of the car.

Could be the lock has frozen shut on the trunk release.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Haha... oh yeah that reminds me. My lock keeps freezing up but I've forgotten about it because I've stopped locking my car.

I should probably just go and get some lock de-icer, but in a small town like this I'm not concerned.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Agent Smith said:
For all you people badmouthing Audi... I love my A4. Sure the control arms need replacing relatively frequently... and there are a few wonky electrical hiccups... but the 2.8 engine has been SOLID and it drives like a dream.

I rode in a 1986 Audi 200 turbo with 450K on it last week and it still drove amazingly.

There are definitely problems to be aware of, but in terms of driving feel, I think Audis are the bomb.

While it's true that an Audi is a nice car to drive, it generally isn't known to be a reliable car. Again, even the shittiest line-up of cars will have a good one that lasts a long time. But generally speaking, they're not a reliable car.
Plus, every few years the cars change in quality, so to say that you're friend has an '86 that is still great to drive, really has no bearing on the 2007 models.

swenard

TRIBE Member
For years the lock on my wifes KIA would freeze solid whenever it got excessively cold out. So whenever that happened I would soak the lock in silicone grease to try to keep the water out. Then I bought a new car and had no problems with the lock until I decided to lube them one day with some silicone grease; then they froze the next day!!!!

I stopped adding the grease and neither car has had a problem in two years, lol!!

Moral - Don't use silicone grease on your locks.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
My 95 Golf had a bad problem with the door locks seizing up in the winter. In fact I broke the driver side lock cylinder 3 times over the life of the car.

Could be the lock has frozen shut on the trunk release.

this is a very common problem, these are the kind of problems you encounter with VW's along with the electrical, it's rare to have engine or tranny problems.

my tranny problem was a mystery, my mechanic just looked at me and shook his head. he told me this never happens on these cars, I put a hole in the tranny about the size of a loonie.

I also had a 68 beetle semi auto, I loved that car but it was like dating a woman, so many headaches and very fussy.:D

CUZO

TRIBE Member
FlyGTI.jpg

I heart my '84 GTI. Now only if I could afford insurance for a driver who used to fly his GTI.

deevah

TRIBE Member
we had a Rabbit prior to getting an 88 jetta in our family. The Rabbit would lead me to believe VW was top notch, the Jetta was a piece of shit.

The jetta was an absolute lemon - everything that could go wrong from the passenger seatbelt locking up to the locks constantly freezing to persistent engine troubles to finally having the rad blow, it was a nightmare. The experience we went thru in those yrs has turned me off VW for life.

if you gonna get one, lease it