• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Von Dutch Hats

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
What the FUCK is up with these hats? I hate them. It seems that the EXACT same type of person always is wearing them --stupid blonde bitches.
 

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
I laughed my ass off when I saw a guy wearing one of those hats backwards at Eaton Centre on Monday....
He was trying to be hardcore.
 

JESuX

TRIBE Member
ahahahahhahahaha.

dave and i stole one off the wall at the underground in Hamilton. Authentic shit, it says "the slats" (which I'm assuming is the name of some shitty band that played there years ago)

i'd actually consider rocking this thing if it wasn't



SO GOD DAMNED PLAYED OUT!
 

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
another one of those fashion trends that the masses catch on to when it's no longer fashionable.
does that imply that at one time they were fashionable?
 

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah
does that imply that at one time they were fashionable?
they looked cool when people weren't really rocking out in them. a couple years ago i saw a hand full of people in kensington attire wearing them, and looking smashing.

that time has passed.
 

Mz. SPy

TRIBE Member
i like them.

i mean you could say all baseball hats are "played out".

its just a brand of hats and they have nice colours and nice styles.
 

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mz. SPy
i like them.

i mean you could say all baseball hats are "played out".

its just a brand of hats and they have nice colours and nice styles.
that's a good point.
 

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mz. SPy
i like them.

i mean you could say all baseball hats are "played out".

its just a brand of hats and they have nice colours and nice styles.
Did you say "nice" in reference to von dutch hats???
They look fucking retarded!
 

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't the Von Dutch hats all trucker hats that need to be burned and forgotten?
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by [SQUARE]
I went shopping in toronto yesterday which I hadn't done in a long time. Dude, they are everywhere!
some backwards,some to the side, some with holes in them, some made of denim, some pink...blah

remember those metal plated ones with like " brooklyn" on them??...actually now those von dutch doesn't soun so bad:D
 

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mz. SPy
i mean you could say all baseball hats are "played out".
No, I don't think that works at all.

The thing with Von Dutch is that they appropriated a very blue-collar garment and turned it into a high-priced fashion item. Mesh-back trucker hats have been around for a long time because they are really cheap to produce en mass. So with the whole trash-trend, where it's cool to look vintage (but only if the "vintage" is new and expensive) there's something to really be said for fetishising the commodity.

It's similar with the Abercrombie/American Eagle/Campus Crew line of psuedo-vintage wear, all these shirt's make reference to places that don't exist, somehow invoking a nostalgic reference to an era that never was.

Baudrillard would be pissed!
 

Mz. SPy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scruffy1
Did you say "nice" in reference to von dutch hats???
They look fucking retarded!
yes i did.

and what makes them more retarded then anything else people wear. it's just a hat.
 

Mz. SPy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah
The thing with Von Dutch is that they appropriated a very blue-collar garment and turned it into a high-priced fashion item. Mesh-back trucker hats have been around for a long time because they are really cheap to produce en mass. So with the whole trash-trend, where it's cool to look vintage (but only if the "vintage" is new and expensive) there's something to really be said for fetishising the commodity.

They are not more high priced then baseball caps or any other fucking hats. Any hat you buy will run you between 30 and 50 bucks.

Why the hate for Von Dutch in particular on this board?
 

lok

TRIBE Member
a Von Dutch hat on a clean cut type guy screams "Come convert me Im a GayDo*"











*Playdo.
 

el Guapo

TRIBE Member
von dutch and all trucker caps should be banished. just like the people who wear them.

you aren't original and you have nothing to contribute to the fashion world.period.:p

what's next? devo caps??? meh
 
Top