• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Volvo links brand with prostitution to revive lagging sales

JamesM

TRIBE Member
the new club on king is red night district. smack next to the backbackers hostel.

tragic.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Also, the idea of a "district" to serve a country as big as Canada is a bit of a joke. Something tells me the Edmonton hookers aren't going to pack it up and move to Winnipeg to be in the approved district.
If they could get prostitution work in a legal, safe environment that was frequented by sex tourists I'm 99% sure they would move.

agroberts

So it appears the wool has been pulled over our eyes about a red light district coming to canada. Anyone checked out the facebook page lately?

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
I'm assuming you're involved with this, as I don't know anyone, who would ever use the word "miffed" or "bamboozled" in the same sentence, or spend that much time sharing this very accurate information with frequent updates to spark our attention.

Nonetheless, this is a massive departure for Volvo, who's heritage is rooted in safety...and now wants to be naughty???? The only thing I'm curious in, is how sales will go.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
An English major would use higher class words than "miffed" or "bamboozled". You are an academic at heart! Next time use words like "chagrined", "vexed".. and "cozened" or ""flimflamed".

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Are you involved in this campaign in any way? A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.

Editor: yes, and he will be banned for spamming next time he does it

acheron

TRIBE Member
I would have been okay with "flummoxed" or "hoodwinked"...

And yes I would like to hear definitively whether agroberts is employed by Volvo or its agencies for the purpose of marketing their vehicle.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Interesting. As an English major, I would also assume that you were taught to be articulate and concise. No where in your prior posts do you mention anything remotely similar to what I posted, but more so focused on the following:

"has anyone checked out the facebook page lately"

My interpretation of this post is quite the contrary. Maybe you were being evasive? Maybe you're spamming us? Up for interpretation I suppose.

See, I think this is a HORRIBLE angle for the brand to take. Here is one of many reasons:

Red Light District: The red light district, when broken down, is really about questionably "illegal" activity that has been contained to an area where the law has turned a blind eye. What happens in these locations could be deemed as wreckless behaviour, ie. prostitution the most common association, amongst society.

So, if Volvo is now associating itself with the "red light district" what does this mean for the following:

Target Market: Is the S60/Volvo looking for a new consumer that lives a naughty lifestyle, such as those you find in the Red Light District? Here are some taglines to support naughty behaviour and the red light district:
- (female target) The New Volvo S60: Slut's inside
- (male target) The New Volvo S60: Dirt Bags wanted

Call me crazy, but this angle might alienate it's core consumer base....families.

Brand Equity: I'm quite confident that if you looked at Volvo research you'd see brand equity scores that rank high amongst links to "family" and "safety", say "provides the confidence to get my family from a to b, safely" (not well written, but I'm sure you get my point). With this new approach, do they want scores that are associated with "carelessness", "shady", etc? Not a good angle for a car company.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents. I'm all for brand repositioning, I just think this is not a particularly good one and that's what I took away from the posts.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
ps. I do, however, apologize if you are in fact not involved, but regardless, you did get my attention and I wanted to talk about it.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Personally, I think the issue of "brand repositioning" is completely irrelevant especially when contrasted with the gross positioning of this campaign itself.

Let's recap here, the clowns behind this campaign spammed the fuck out of online forums and social media platforms like Twitter, put up a bunch of posters seemingly calling for discussion about a red light district in Canada, and then revealed it all to be some event for Volvo featuring burlesque dancers and DJ Dopey in the distillery district?

This is a huge slap in the face to the many hard working activists and non-profit organizations who are fighting to legitamize and decriminalize sex work. Everyone involved in this campaign should be ashamed of themselves.

What's next? A Volvo showroom made up to look like a safe injection clinic?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
A "friend" of mine on Facebook was one of those responsible for this event and I saw the photos and it looks like it was a very well executed, designed and attended night. The firm behind this, Sharpe Blackmore Euro RSCG, in addition to spamming online forums, Flickr, Twitter and blogs even comissioned an Angus Reid poll asking "are Canadians ready for a red light district?"

Does the disengenous hook of this campaign not strike anyone else as completely reprehensible? I have no problem with Volvo positioning themselves as "naughty" or having burlesque dancers parade around their cars bathed in red lights, but when you attempt to engage the public and stimulate discourse around whether or not Canada needs to have a designated and decriminalized area for sex workers only to turn around and reveal that it is really all a ruse to get you to check out a car, someone needs to call them out on their bullshit.

Sex workers are some of the most vulnerable people in our society, and have been too often singled out and murdered while trying to make a buck. Legitimizing and decriminalizing their work could save lives and this is a conversation the public needs to engage in. Instead, Volvo and Sharpe Blackmore decided that they could appropriate that discourse to sell cars.