• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Vocaloid

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
When I first heard about this I figured it was going to be really stupid, but hearing the demos made me think again... This thing can obviously sound really good.

Clip

Obviously there will always be a demand for real vocalists, but clearly this changes things in a major way. Right now most people are probably thinking about this in terms of replacing/supporting human singers, but outside the box you have unlimited possibilites that are impossible to realize with the human vocal system...

So what do you all think about this and the potential implications?

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
wow.

quite impressive.

Depending on the parameters allowed and pronounciation capabilities (phoneme programming) this could be quite cool.

However, if it's not very mutable, we could probably end up with what you and Syntax Error always bring up with sampling. Songs that sound the same.

hysterical

TRIBE Member
ya man the fuckn reviews for this are off the hook.

But cant find a place to download a demo:(

....plus, Zero-G is in charge of the voice paks, so im sure there will be some pretty good shit soon, or there better be because this vocaliod is going to be played out soon otherwise

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
It should be noted that although Yamaha developed this product, the technology was largely developed by the geniuses at MTG. I suspect we shall be seeing open source alternatives for the hardcores who want to truly explore the possibilities or simply do not want to buy expensive 'voice libraries'.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by DeepSix
Songs that sound the same.

I like to think that this problem is more due to the lack of imagination of human operators, rather than the tools they choose.

But yes, I'm sure we will be hearing A LOT of dance music with vocals courtesy of Leon & Lola in the coming months. :(:D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

hysterical

TRIBE Member
To be honest though i dont think i will push out 500 bones for this puppy.
Unless they come up w/ some "URBAN" type vocals......not this Celion Dion shit.
But im sure they're in the works of creating the next MC Hammer;)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
cool idea i s'pose..

..but as it is, i actually think it's quite lame, and judging by the way the clip sounded, any idiot with a vocoder could sound just as good or better.

perhaps the one audio clip didn't do it justice, but i don't really see what the big deal is. it's impressive that it can be done, but it doesn't sound very good, which is sort of the whole point.

i'm not too sure i like the way things are headed. at this rate, soon enough even producers won't be needed, just programmers.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dsp909
looks like a fusion of melodyne and spectrasonics stylus.

cool.

yes....... stole the words straight from my mouth......

:p

whenever i want to see a bunch o' peeps who know way too much about everything, i stop by the good ol' producers room :)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by hysterical
ya man the fuckn reviews for this are off the hook.

But cant find a place to download a demo:(

Vocaloid FAQ:

Q8. Is a demo version available for download?
A8. Unfortunately, as yet there are no plans for a downloadable demo version.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by docta seuss

..but as it is, i actually think it's quite lame, and judging by the way the clip sounded, any idiot with a vocoder could sound just as good or better.

No, not quite. This is an analysis/resynthesis technology. How can you use a vocoder to generate realistic synthesised singing? I don't think it sounded bad at all.

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Vocaloid FAQ:

Q8. Is a demo version available for download?
A8. Unfortunately, as yet there are no plans for a downloadable demo version.
And thats one more reason why i probabally wont get it..........i dont want to hear an audio sample, i want to play with it myself.......honestly thats whats goiong to put it 6 feet under:rolleyes:

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Isosceles_CAT
How can you use a vocoder to generate realistic synthesised singing? I don't think it sounded bad at all.

re-read what i said...

judging by the way the clip sounded, any idiot with a vocoder could sound just as good or better.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
in other words, why bother with synthesized singing, when you can take the worst singer and make them sound exactly the same with a vocoder.

i agree with you, it didn't sound that bad, which is exactly the point..

it sounds like vocoded singing.

cool technology, but unnecessary.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
in other words, why bother with synthesized singing, when you can take the worst singer and make them sound exactly the same with a vocoder.

i agree with you, it didn't sound that bad, which is exactly the point..

it sounds like vocoded singing.

cool technology, but unnecessary.

OK, so heres a challenge. Record yourself singing, and use a vocoder to make it sound as good as the clip. Post the results, I would be most interested...

The singing sounds awesome, at least better than Cher... Especially considering it is the first version of the first product to use this technology...
Obviously thats subjective but I feel confident in disagreeing with your simple 'poo-pooing'.

Unnecessary? Perhaps to the chronicly unimaginative.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Isosceles_CAT

I feel confident in disagreeing with your simple 'poo-pooing'.

Unnecessary? Perhaps to the chronicly unimaginative.

i wasn’t even originally going to reply to this, but what would that accomplish...

insulting other people, their opinions, and their character in your condescending way must really do it for you, because i happen to see a lot of it. there's no doubt you're knowledgeable, and people value your opinions, but PEOPLE SKILLS man, people skills.

that being said, only the chronically unimaginative would find this product unnecessary? how do you hope to argue that "imaginative" people would be the ones to synthesize their vocals..

name me one thing this product will be good for, other than discarding the need for human talent. it's much worse than real singing, and it doesn't have the vocoder sound that so many people seem to love. I realize that the technology behind it is impressive, but it just doesn’t do it for me… i apologize if that offends you.

i think you have it backwards my friend. those who would be blown away by this easy way out just might be the “chronically unimaginative” people.

if you have a rebuttal for my views, I’d love to hear it, but lets keep the blows above the belt. :)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
what's the difference between a programmer and a producer? i'm just interested. no need for the hostility.

hey, no hostility here man. :)

i would say that the line is a fine one, but that producers are essentially programmers with musical/artistic talent (for the most part)... not that programmers don't have these things, but you know what i mean.

i think it'd be a shame if producers were to rely less and less upon their musical talent, and more on their technological talent... that is, even more so than they already do...

but, i can see the other side of it as well, and i'm sure musicians in the 70's, 80's and 90's, and even earlier, were maybe a tad aggitated by the technological advances that got music to where it is now, which is just where i happen to like it. maybe i'm being slightly narrow minded or even hypocritical to now want the technological side of things (with regards to machines or programs replacing people) to mellow out a bit, but shouldn't there be limits to how far people take things¿

hey, i'm all for technological advancement, but with regards to the arts, it think there should be limits, otherwise those who are truly artistic could end up obsolete, whilst the technologically proficient take over every aspect of the arts.

...or perhaps that would be natural selection at work... or mayhaps the arts and the sciences are more intertwined than i realize... a subjective matter i s'pose.

i didn't articulate my point very well, but i've got a report to finish for 9 am tomorrow. :eek: