• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Visiting Home

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
In a couple weeks time I will be "visiting home". This is a new experience for me... like, going to Canada after a long time, not to move back, but just to visit, before having to go back to wherever.

I won't have a car, actually don't even have a license anymore, won't have a phone, will be staying at my parents basically, and, other than a wedding, next to no plans. On the return, it's straight off the plane and after 5 hours sleep straight into the office again.

Somehow I'm feeling strangely apprehensive about it!

I've had reverse culture shock in ways before, but it was always moderated by the fact that i can allow myself to readjust to Ontario. But this time it's just an in-and-outter.

To those who have done it before, what should I expect? And how can I work in visiting everyone in such a short time??

The first weekend I am at my buddy's wedding which will be awesome. After that I'm aiming for a night out in Toronto on Friday July 7th if possible, and potentially one in waterloo on the 8th, so it would be cool to meet up with you guys if possible.

-jM
A&D

swilly

TRIBE Member
I had a rough time being back in canada in feb. It was nice at some level but at another i really missed japan. Gam batte jeff san. I will miss our drunken MSN conversations.

swilly

gasper

TRIBE Member
What to expect?

- Jet lag can be killer or not, depending on how you prepare/react
- Everyone here is a littler louder, fatter, and kind of rude
- You might gain a few pounds as you make up for all the time away from your favorite foods
- Although you've been off doing fun things in exotic places, people you visit have been doing their same thing all along, and may not be as interested in listening to you ramble on about Japan as you are interested in rambling on about Japan.
- it may seem more foreign here than it does in your new home in Japan
- try to see the most important people to you on your short visit

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i'd say you should give all of your friends ample advance notice of what days you will be where. that will give them time to reorganize things so that they can see you when you are in town (whether it be toronto or waterloo).
then if a bunch of people tell you they can't make it, you can have enough time to try to plan something different with those folks.

but just in general, i find that if you are willing to forego sleeping in, you can get a lot done and see a lot of people in a short amount of time.

jus me

TRIBE Member
I'm moving back to Canada after being a year abroad. I've never been away for so long and on my own (outside the country, that is).

I hope I readjust quickly...and I need a place to move into! Gah, so many things to take care of.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I'm also hoping I can get my lisence back quickly. Like, just walk into the office, pay some kind of fee, and get a temporary something or other on the spot. Cause i'll be pretty much fucked if I can't drive.

Though it will be a good excuse to not have to be DD. YAY!

DD. Ha! I remember DD.

-jM
A&D

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
In a couple weeks time I will be "visiting home". This is a new experience for me... like, going to Canada after a long time, not to move back, but just to visit, before having to go back to wherever.

I won't have a car, actually don't even have a license anymore, won't have a phone, will be staying at my parents basically, and, other than a wedding, next to no plans. On the return, it's straight off the plane and after 5 hours sleep straight into the office again.

Somehow I'm feeling strangely apprehensive about it!

I've had reverse culture shock in ways before, but it was always moderated by the fact that i can allow myself to readjust to Ontario. But this time it's just an in-and-outter.

To those who have done it before, what should I expect? And how can I work in visiting everyone in such a short time??

The first weekend I am at my buddy's wedding which will be awesome. After that I'm aiming for a night out in Toronto on Friday July 7th if possible, and potentially one in waterloo on the 8th, so it would be cool to meet up with you guys if possible.

-jM
A&D

Wtf. I TOLD you that you can stay with me. What, don't you listen, you stupid shithead?