• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Viruses - 1 : ODBX WINNAR!

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
After a short interlude I am now once again virus free.

Note to all you techno headz - install firewall software BEFORE opening up ports to do some minor web development. I was open for all of 2 minutes and my system was buggered by several viruses (both detectable and undetectable). You will undoubtedly save yerself even more time by not TRYING TO DO LIVE WEB DEVELOPMENT ON A WINDOWS BOX!! Fawk, thank the sweet sweet lords of computing for Linux.

"They may have won the battle, but the war has just begun"
odbx

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Gunark

TRIBE Member
How did just opening ports in your firewall infect your system with viruses? That doesn't sound right.

Were you using IIS or something silly like that?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark
How did just opening ports in your firewall infect your system with viruses? That doesn't sound right.

Were you using IIS or something silly like that?

Sounds like it. My web server gets hit about once every minute with a request for "../../../../../etcetcetc/system/cmd.exe" and other stupid shit like that. But then, I don't run IIS, I run Apache.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
cmon guys give me some credit, I would NEVER run IIS, that's just the supidest thing you could EVER do!

I see some of us can't read so I'll quote

I said:
install firewall software BEFORE opening up ports to do some minor web development

This suggests there was no firewall! You would be surprised what can hit you when don't have one!

odbx

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth

This suggests there was no firewall! You would be surprised what can hit you when don't have one!

odbx

I don't mean to nit-pick, but even if you left your firewall down for an entire week, you would only be exposing yourself to additional virus threats if you had services listening on the open ports.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
I don't mean to nit-pick, but even if you left your firewall down for an entire week, you would only be exposing yourself to additional virus threats if you had services listening on the open ports.

umm yeah ... as a web development environment what do you think I would have listening on open ports? HTTP, FTP, SQL, TELNET? None of them had a great amount of security applied to them.

Like I said don't be like me, I learned my lesson and shared it with others so they don't have to..

m..m -> various projects as usual, first and foremost something to replace deepforestgrooves when it comes down.

odbx