• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Virus? or SpyWare? Help!!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
I'm so frusturated.
I can't get to tribe, my email or other websites. The reason how im posting this is bc of the other url's that were still in my history but when I type www.tribemagazine.com it comes to a search engine. http://www.smart-finder.biz/www.tribemagazine.com is an example.

Has anyone had this problem before?
Yes you have caught a parasite that latches on to a "helper app" in internet explorer

use adaware
 

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Thanks, I have Adaware, i actually just deleted it form my system bc it didn't really help me.

I gave up and just downloaded Mozilla.
Mr.Nice Guy (i dont know if you guys know him or not) gave me the idea to download it and he says he likes it better then IE.

That does make sense about the parasite.
You guys have no idea how annoying and frusturated i was bc i live by email.
I was ready to throw my computer out the window.

well i guess this thread is pointless.. it's just faster to get information on tribe which was why i posted it.

Thanks for your help guys

ciao
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Shortly before I reformatted, I found Ad Aware to be the best one to use.

Never used Spybot, but I installed Spyware and Panicware on my work computer.

If I recall, Spyware barely caught anything, and Panicware gave me popup ads and some kind of download accelerator.

The latter I could never get uninstalled. My IT dept didn't like me for that one, aside from the constant Kazaa Lite++ running.
 

AshG

Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
Shortly before I reformatted, I found Ad Aware to be the best one to use.

Never used Spybot, but I installed Spyware and Panicware on my work computer.

If I recall, Spyware barely caught anything, and Panicware gave me popup ads and some kind of download accelerator.

The latter I could never get uninstalled. My IT dept didn't like me for that one, aside from the constant Kazaa Lite++ running.
right, and check the commentary regarding spybot on the download.com page.
looks like all the positive reviews were computer generated, more or less.
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Spybot is better. To get the functions it has, you'd have to buy the advanced verion of Ad Aware.

Get Spybot Search & Destroy.
 

AshG

Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Spybot is better. To get the functions it has, you'd have to buy the advanced verion of Ad Aware.

Get Spybot Search & Destroy.
you tried to uninstall it?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AshG

Member
Originally posted by OTIS
No. Why would you? It's tiny, unintrusive, and immensely useful.
why not?
suppose you already have what you need, don't like the way it smells, or have any reason under the sun to want it off your computer.

all reports indicate it can't be completely uninstalled and that all attempts to do so result in inavoidable error messages appearing upon booting the machine.

and supposedly it does miss some things, and if you're not careful(which you should be i grant you) it can wipe out applications such as winamp, etc.
 

deep

TRIBE Member
I dunno AshG, I find usually the user contributed reviews on Cnet (on its various subsites) tend to indicate how stupid some users are...

in other words the problems they encounter are their own fault rather than the product or software they're criticizing...

I can't comment on uninstallation woes with spybot since I've never had reason to want to, nor has it foobared the operation of my system.
 

AshG

Member
Originally posted by deep
I dunno AshG, I find usually the user contributed reviews on Cnet (on its various subsites) tend to indicate how stupid some users are...

in other words the problems they encounter are their own fault rather than the product or software they're criticizing...

I can't comment on uninstallation woes with spybot since I've never had reason to want to, nor has it foobared the operation of my system.
i agree - user beware.
don't use something if you don't understand how it works.

but... what about the uninstallability of it?
and perhaps more disturbingly(though of not practical import), the fact that all the positive reviews appear to be fabricated?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
I've been using Spybot for well over a year now and have un-installed it and then re-installed 3 times with no problems. It will delete system files if you set the filters wrong which is what I imagine some of those people did.
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG


but... what about the uninstallability of it?
and perhaps more disturbingly(though of not practical import), the fact that all the positive reviews appear to be fabricated?
I'm not sure what's going on there. All I can say is that on hardcore pc geek forums, where there is a tough crowd of people priding themselves on calling stuff garbage whenever they can, it seems to be readily approved of.

From the few times I've poked around through cnet for reviews I've found the signal to noise ratio in the user comments section really poor. half the time people are making unsubstantiated criticism or criticizing positive reviews as being planted by the manufacturer.
 

AshG

Member
Originally posted by deep
I'm not sure what's going on there. All I can say is that on hardcore pc geek forums, where there is a tough crowd of people priding themselves on calling stuff garbage whenever they can, it seems to be readily approved of.

From the few times I've poked around through cnet for reviews I've found the signal to noise ratio in the user comments section really poor. half the time people are making unsubstantiated criticism or criticizing positive reviews as being planted by the manufacturer.
yeah i hear that.

but how are the identical submit times explained... for all the positive reviews!

ah, whatever, i don't run spybot anyway, but it came across as something interesting.
 

why not

TRIBE Member
on a related note, my work email seems to be sending out viruses or something, but luckily not to my address book. feel sorry for the person i share a desk with.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top