• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Virus Alert

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
I just got a virus in my email (quarantined) and wanted to let people know that the subject heading says "hello" and there's a zip file for the text. Don't open it.

Thanks,

GV

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
The first day or so it was around, antivirus softwares didn't catch it (I guess because it was hiding in a ZIP file or something), but now they are.

Just make sure your anti-virus is up-to-date, and you should be okay.

I get SO many viruses sent to me at work that I now have stopped opening any attachments unless I know for SURE it's clean. (even if it says it's from somebody you know, it could still be a virus, because of the way those worms work) Any email with "Hello" as a subject, an attachment, and no body should raise red flags right away. :)

gollum

TRIBE Member
I keep getting responses from mailer daemons saying my emails are being returned.

The funny thing Is I don't have the virus, but someone with my name in their address book does. This particular virus (myDoom.a I think) sends emails out from an infected computer and masks the from address with another email address in the infected users address book.

I don't understand why people don't have virus scanners, or keep them up to date.

Makes you wonder if the only people making virus' are these companies themeselves.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
I am using Symantec and it's always up to date. It caught the virus straight away. But I know what you mean. I am glad it didn't infect my hotmail address as this is my primary email, but only came through my work address. I'm not worried about it here at work since this is the first I have seen the virus which means to me that our system is always updated.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gasper
I don't understand why people open a file called hello.zip

I never said I opened it. I jsut said don't open it. This is the first I have seen of any of the viruses that's all.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gollum
I don't understand why people don't have virus scanners, or keep them up to date.
Oooh! Oooh! Let me answer this one!! Because they are stupid! Really! My buddy works at Sympatico billing and some lady called in saying she wanted to cancel her account because she was sick of getting hit with viruses.

"Well, do you have anti-virus software?"
"No, I shouldn't HAVE to get that. You guys shouldn't allow them to get to me."
"Um... we only provide access to the internet, we can't govern the entire internet... We DO offer anti-virus software."
"I'm not paying for that. It should be your job to make sure there aren't any viruses. I'm cancelling my account."

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Silvershadow
Oooh! Oooh! Let me answer this one!! Because they are stupid! Really! My buddy works at Sympatico billing and some lady called in saying she wanted to cancel her account because she was sick of getting hit with viruses.

"Well, do you have anti-virus software?"
"No, I shouldn't HAVE to get that. You guys shouldn't allow them to get to me."
"Um... we only provide access to the internet, we can't govern the entire internet... We DO offer anti-virus software."
"I'm not paying for that. It should be your job to make sure there aren't any viruses. I'm cancelling my account."

This attitude is so prevalent. People don't want to take any responsibility for their connection to the Internet.

I'm thinking (hoping) that this is something that will eventually die over time. Once a generation of people grows up with using the Internet and understands how it works in terms of who causes what, things will get better. Of course, some new problem will crop up to take its place.

I imagine Henry Ford had similar problems with morons using the first (NA) cars as well...

Jennika

TRIBE Member
I got two of those for the first time in my inbox today.

between that and MyDoom I'm getting sick of all this junk

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
What does anyone need a virus scanner for?

Shit, man, just don't open anything. It's really quite pointless to warn anyone about opening things, since that warning has penetrated 99.99% of people with email. Still, 40% will open shit anyway.

Those 40% of people should be lined up and shot, since they are just too stupid to live.