1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Virgin Music Festival Cancelled

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jun 3, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

After last year's flop I guess they are taking a break to re-evaluate...
  2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

maybe they should intensify their twitter campaign! lololol
  3. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Their F1 cars aren't too shit hot either.
  4. alexd

I for one am deeply saddened because we will not get to see the pre-concert hype of Richard Branson rappelling from a helicopter, jumping off a blimp, or water-skiing lake Ontario with a naked super model on his back to bring attention to the event. Other than that, meh.
  5. alexd

What I'd really like to know is how the Calgary Folk Festival got "Canada's Action Plan" grant money. I guess they must be filling potholes with folk singers......
  6. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

pretty sure nobody expected it to happen this year anyways

Arcade Fire on the island Aug 14th should help compensate if they can get a few good supporting acts
  7. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I hope they do, but they've always opted for really obsure openers when I've seen them. Nevertheless I've already got my ticket for that show, just because seeing Arcade Fire in that setting should be pure magic.
  8. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

I don't really think the concert was "cancelled", they never announced it was going to happen this year at all.

Someone I know who works at Virgin told me more than a month ago that there would be no festival this year.
  9. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Toronto's becoming all business and not much fun these days (unless of course, you make it yourself). Having just come back from Movement in Detroit, it amazes me that as a supposedly world-class city we're still unable to produce an electronic music festival of the same calibre, but we're more than willing to blow 1 bil of taxpayer money on a gigantic political schmooze fest.

Someone should hire Shakedown to setup a wall of bassbins just outside the security perimeter to go up against the LRADs.
  10. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Edmonton's large and well-established Folk Fest got shafted for Conservative money this go-round... but the money-loosing Edmonton Indy got a nice injection to help keep it bleeding red ink another year. Harper's supporting whatever Meat-and-Potatoes events will play to his base.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  11. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

but going back on the ferry afterwards will be pure hell!

Regardless, I've got my ticket for that too!
  12. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

we had a little one called wemf. it went for a couple years.

there's also the "grass is greener" festival but location is always vague on that one. and it can occur at any time.

man am i ever sarcastic today. sorry everyone!
  13. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

I just just spoke to my girlfriend on the phone who just mentioned techo viking.

so rad.

shit I thought i was in the NC forum.

virgin sucks. except for richard branson.
  14. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

she is a keeper. keep her away from techno viking tho
  15. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

Hmmm? From what I can recall WEMF never took place in Toronto, ever.
  16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

its as close as a huge elec festival ever got to gta. and at this point, - ever will. ask any partiers from the U.S. if they know where Welland is on a map! (unless they're crackheads from buff or drug dealers from youngstown)
  17. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

these are small places i should probably stop there.... lol!!!
  18. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

we went to sauble. one and only. good times.

oh shit. and welland has the welland canal.
  19. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

my grandson built that canal in bare feet
  20. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

after walking a mile in the snow in same bare feet.
  21. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

if its so large and well-established why does it need grant money?
  22. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

don't know, but the money went to G20.

mostly in the form of annoying people with loud speakers.
  23. alexd

and diablo! ;)
  24. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

WEMF was never held inside the city proper and nothing similar has come along to replace it since.

There have been attempts, such as the short-lived Joy Festival (think it ran for two years), and even the BB&C at Harbourfront in its earliest incarnations (recent versions showcasing "bands that have a synth" don't count :p), but we simply don't have the support of the city because there's no one in office who understands that these sort of fests are a huge tourism draw pretty much everywhere else in the world.

And yes, sometimes the grass is greener, especially when it's given the right kind of nourishment and attention. Toronto could really stand to be fertilized with a healthy heap of non-corporate centred compost.

Timely editorial piece:

Olive: What Detroit’s comeback bid means to Toronto
  25. octo

octo TRIBE Member

just look at the reaction to virgin fest being "cancelled"

most people don't care. they love to complain about not having a festival, but when there is one all they do is bitch, criticize and put it down.