• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Virgin Festival - Calgary?

bitchass

TRIBE Member
This would be awesome for Calgary - we have tons of concerts and shows but no big events like this other than Folk and Jazz festivals - it would get huge turnouts.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/10/13/4572879-sun.html

Multibillionaire Richard Branson says he's going to put Calgary on the musical map.

Branson, chairman of Virgin Group of Companies, will be at Fort Calgary Tuesday to announce what Virgin calls a "major entertainment event."

While Virgin is remaining tight-lipped about the nature of the announcement, a likely possibility is Branson could be bringing the famed Virgin Music Festival to the city.

Mandy Dinning, spokeswoman for Hill and Knowlton Canada -- the public relations outfit behind Tuesday's announcement -- would neither confirm nor deny rumours the festival is planned for Cowtown.

"This announcement could be about a whole bunch of things, but it will be big -- and lots of fun," she says.

Ron Harwood, Alberta promotions for EMI Music Canada, says Calgary is the kind of city that could support a festival of Virgin's size.

"With the Canadian dollar being on par with the American dollar and the amount of money in Calgary available for people to spend on the arts, it's possible this festival could be coming here," he said.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Linkin Park as a headliner is going to bring a lot of people to this, they don't do many Canadian shows and I don't know if they've even come out West before.

Looking forward to something different.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Foo Fighters is skipping Calgary almost certainly because of hockey schedule conflicts at the Saddledome. No other venue is big enough for them - which was definitely proven at the Rise Against/Pennywise show at the RoundUp Centre, which was easily the worst concert venue I've ever been in (2 bathrooms??? wtf were they thinking??)

I still think Linkin Park is a good choice for Western Canada - they haven't been here before and a lot of people will be glad to see them. I lvoe the Fort Calgary venue - they've had a much smaller Stampede venue there over the last few years and its a really unique place to have something like this.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Hey Nicky happy new year :)

The Sun had it in one of their columns last week - haven't seen much else about it yet though.

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
a lot of people i speak to agree with me in saying this lineup is a major disappointment. especially compared to Toronto. T.O. gets Foo fighters and Oasis headlining and we get the tried and true, played out, lameass, been here a thousand times before Tragically Hip and STP.

STP is cool but simply not strong enough to be a true headliner on its own these days, Flaming Lips are cool, the Stars are cool and some other acts but this show pales in comparison to other Virgin gigs.

Unless I come across a free pass I won't be going. If I'm going to see smaller acts or oldschool bands I'd rather spend my money at the Vans Warped Tour.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
It's definately a huge disappointment compared to Toronto.

They would have done better to stick to their uk roots and brought a bunch of uk bands over...

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant said:
I'm pumped that the Fratellis got added to the lineup. :)
So pissed I missed the Fratellis. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Went to see them at 4:40 at the Molson tent only to not be let in since I didn't have VIP :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Three Days Grace was awesomesauce!!!!

STP were pretty good too.