1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Vintage Synth Repair?

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Brandon, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

So I broke some of my old synths out of storage after far too long, and lo and behold a couple of them aren't working right. I think one of the voice chips on my Juno 106 is going, and as for my Poly-61, who knows, probably a battery has leaked all over the boards or something.

I barely know which end of a soldering iron to hold, so DiY solutions are a last resort at best.

Is there anyone still around who does service/repairs on 25+ year-old gear, or should I just kiss these boat anchors goodbye?

2. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

there's a guy who works for long and mcquade (bloor location) who knows his synth repair well. i don't think they even charge to do an assessment.

unfortunately i wonder what the market is like for finding spare parts? i think you have to buy another copy of the synth or something

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

maybe someone at paul's boutique in kensington would have some advice. there must be a reason they exist. other than to tease you with used vintage gear.

4. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

who knows, maybe it's an afterhours? ;)

anyways not a bad idea.

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

they have an old juno for sale there now (well, as of friday they did...)

6. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

I can't decide if they're overpriced or not. but since the stuff appears to go (relatively) quickly, and it is indeed classic gear, it must usually be a good deal. My wallet, however, does not think so! I got guitar strings there once...lol :)

8. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

the prices seem fair to me considering they have to pay to keep the business running. i assume they do a bit of maintanance on some gear they take in? you also get more insurance if something is messed once you take it home, but on craigslist you could be stuck with something.

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i think they give you a month or so, which is plenty of time. store credit only though...so i was told when considering a waldorf Q they had...(I never got the funds together) :(

10. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

Sherwood in Kitchener has pretty good repair believe it or not! I've let them have a go at my 25 year old JX-8P and they did a fine job.

11. loopdokter

...Which now won't power on after I decided to DIY it and solder in a new battery and quarter inch jacks.

I'm hoping I didn't fry the PCB board. :eek:

12. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Ruh-roh!

I finally got around to plugging all my other stuff in. My TR-727 is all but dead, and my RX-11 drum machine's main outs are whisper-quiet, even though its individual instrument outs work fine. I guess it's a sign I need to buy better gear.

13. loopdokter

It turns out all I had done was clipped the power cable off from the socket that the cable joins to, so it cost me a rather 'expensive' (yet cheap as far as synth repair goes) trip to Mississauga to have Jim Nelson fix it - something I could have easily done. Jim is the former service manager for Roland Canada and I would encourage you to have him take a look at your TR-727 and other gear if you're not up for it. He only charged me $40 and did the repair on the spot on a Saturday because he knew I drove in from out of town. Super nice guy.

While I was there he had a Nord Lead, Univox Mini-Korg (from 1972), several Juno-106's, a JX-3P, a MemoryMoog and a few other bits and bobs all in for repair. His house was full of things that made me say 'I want'.

14. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Jim Nelson you say. Hmm...

15. loopdokter

He's the man. I can point you in his direction.

16. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Welp, seeing as I turned on my Korg DW-6000 synth tonight only to find that all the parameters had been scrambled (a battery issue maybe?), perhaps you'd better.

That's three for three vintage synths with problems now. ARGH.