• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Video card

randyval

TRIBE Member
video cards are way to confusing now a days, with all the gt,xt,le,pro,se,extentions.
with numerous budget, midrange, and top end cards, all with several versions of each.
you find all to often someone who is pissed off cause they bought the wrong one, thinking they got a deal.
my friend wend and bought a geforce5200 256MB instead of a radeon 9600 ($30 price diff at the time), because it had 256MB ram, the geforce2 (32MB ram)card he allready owned was faster than his new card:p

if you can find one, i would recoment the geforce 6800le,only slightly more expensive than the 6600gt.
it overclocs (in most cases) to 6800 speeds
plus a lifetime guarentee
net savings of 200 big ones
a top end card for mid range price

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Puma

TRIBE Member
The ati 9800 PRO is an excelent card you can pick it up for around 120-150 with shipping included from ebay used. They don't sell these cards any more but these cards are good unless you want to shell out the big bucks and go for the X800..

Last edited:

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by randyval

if you can find one, i would recoment the geforce 6800le,only slightly more expensive than the 6600gt.
it overclocs (in most cases) to 6800 speeds
plus a lifetime guarentee
net savings of 200 big ones
a top end card for mid range price
i should have mentioned the 6800le requires modding to get to 6800 speeds.

21 grams

TRIBE Member
thanks a lot to all. i finally bought XFX GeForce 6600 GT for 300.00 after all taxes. Getting it on monday.
I would have probably bought some ATI Radeo 9550 if i did not create this topic. Really helped me. Thanks again

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Stan

TRIBE Member
The 9800 pro is based on technology that's almost 3 years old, so it will definitely not run as well as the 6600GT, which is a much more recent product.

Now, the other thing you have to consider is that a lot of these tests and benchmarks you see on the Internet are run on top of the line hardware. You probably won't see the same performance on your computer, unless you happen to have an Athlon 64 4000+ with 2 gigs of PC4000 Dual Channel DDR RAM in your rig.

If your processor is anything over 1.6 ghz you should be fine in that department. However, if you have less than 1 gig of RAM you definitely need to think about upgrading to at least a gig. It's pretty much a minimum requirement for most games nowadays to run properly. Yes, 512 will probably get you by, but you'll see much better performance with a gig of RAM.

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 21 grams
thanks a lot to all. i finally bought XFX GeForce 6600 GT for 300.00 after all taxes. Getting it on monday.
I would have probably bought some ATI Radeo 9550 if i did not create this topic. Really helped me. Thanks again
congrats, you w0nt be disapointed:)
the 6600gt is the best midrange card since the 9500pro (witch can be modded to 9700pro), ati the realized its mistake and then came out with the 9600pro,both those cards smoked the top end geforce4, even the geforce fx series was a complete failure.
i like the new nvidea cards.
its nice to see some real compitition in the midrange market.

21 grams

TRIBE Member
although, this XFX GeForce 6600 GT comes with DUAL DVI and 2 DVI to VGA adapters. My monitor is using VGA so as any new TFT screen on market. Whats that DVI thing for?