• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Video card

zoo

TRIBE Member
BF Vietnam:

933 Mhz CPU
Directx 9.0b
3D accelerated GeForce3 64 MB or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
256 Megabytes of RAM
2 GB free hard drive space
(additional space required for Windows swap-file and
DirectX 9.0b installation)
16x CD-ROM drive
Directx 9.0b Compatible Sound Card
MS compatible mouse
Keyboard

again, a 1.7 GHz system with 512 megs of ram and 9600 Suck Edition should be able to handle that game at reasonable resolution / graphics level

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
Regardless, this thread has me feeling as if I should be in the market for a new video card. Hmmm, what to buy, what to buy.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by CLUSTER
I put the game on a smaller Harddrive and upgraded to SP2.
Those would be the only two changes.

so in other words you went from a potentially fragmented installation of the game to a fresh UNfragmented installation, this results in a very very significant performance increase in terms of 'choppiness' experienced during various level/texture introductions

as well, upgrading to SP2 ... was this a reformat, a clean install, or a 'patch' upgrade? did sp2 decide to defrag you disk? did it clean up system resource eating apps / innefficiencies of your windows installation?

computers faster than 400MHz are actually quite fast, much faster than anyone would ever really need (aside from gaming), the real slow downs occur from inneficient windows installations and defragmented hard drives

gaming really doesn't require much more than a 1.2 GHz processor, i know this because i've run every game possible on my old 1.4 AMD & Radeon 8500 combination, and my roommate's 1.2 AMD & Radeon 9700 combination, so far nothing has ever given us problems, i even pumped doom 3 to 20fps!!

but if people aren't brainwashed to buy 'new', computer component manufacturers would be out of jobs, and so the brainwashing continues ...

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by CLUSTER
Regardless, this thread has me feeling as if I should be in the market for a new video card. Hmmm, what to buy, what to buy.

pairing a 2.4 ghz with a 9600 suck edition is almost criminal :p

spend the $250 and grab a nice 6600, you'll thank me when you install far cry :)

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
pairing a 2.4 ghz with a 9600 suck edition is almost criminal :p

spend the $250 and grab a nice 6600, you'll thank me when you install far cry :)

$250 is my price range. 6600 = GeForce right?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
computers faster than 400MHz are actually quite fast

lately i've been working / using the following computers:

(in order of speed/power)

P-M1.6 (girlfriend)
P4 2.4 GHz (work computer)
AMD 2.4 (cousin)
Celeron D (girlfriend)
Celeron 2.2 (laptop)
AMD 1.4 (sister)
AMD 1.2 (roommate)
P3 800 (girlfriend)
P3 500 (cousin)
P3 450 (cousin)
P2 300 (grandfather)
P-100 (mine)

honestly, everything above P3 450 runs pretty much the same in the windows environment, excepting hard drive slow downs. the AMD 1.2 actually runs the fastest because it's primary hard disk is RAID 0 striped

for gaming, the AMD 1.2 and AMD 2.4 run the fastest, but only because of their video cards ... 1.2 has a 9700, 2.4 has a 5700

the 300 runs a little slow of course, and the pentium1 - 100 is unsuitable for win xp, but it runs win98 with no problems

processor/ram means so little nowadays, above 1 GHz it's all very negligable, provided "minimum" windows operating sys reqs are met ... and games are currently solely the domain of fast dedicated gpus with their own texture memory

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I've heard some stories now that PCI Express cards can cause all sorts of problems with other high data trasfer PCI cards like studio sound cards. Appears the video card hoggs the bandwidth of the PCI bus.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by coleridge
I've heard some stories now that PCI Express cards can cause all sorts of problems with other high data trasfer PCI cards like studio sound cards. Appears the video card hoggs the bandwidth of the PCI bus.

If that's the case then it will be resolved in a future driver update. I can't imagine the video card locking down bandwidth unless you were like sequencing a huge track whilst playing far cry or something though.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Liquidity
atm: very minimal performance gains.

not worth getting a new mobo over.

We noticed massive performance gains with PCI-E when benchmarking versus AGP at my work. This was for 5 megapixel 2D rendering image rendering though.

keztronic

TRIBE Member
.. and with pci-e you can install 2 video cards at once if you need that kind of performance....
2 6600s will match an x800 and then some for less $

TrippinJiminey

TRIBE Member
I have an Ati all in wonder 9800 pro (128 megs). $300 at Sonnam computers (queen and spadina) last I checked. Not only is it a great card for the half life 2 engine, but you can record and watch tv shows with it.

I've been playing half life 2 and worlds of warcraft with all the graphics maxed out and it runs so smoothly. If you do get it, make sure you have an extra floppy power connecter because the card needs to be connected to your powersupply.

21 grams

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TrippinJiminey
I have an Ati all in wonder 9800 pro (128 megs). $300 at Sonnam computers (queen and spadina) last I checked. Not only is it a great card for the half life 2 engine, but you can record and watch tv shows with it.

I've been playing half life 2 and worlds of warcraft with all the graphics maxed out and it runs so smoothly. If you do get it, make sure you have an extra floppy power connecter because the card needs to be connected to your powersupply.

yeah, 4 pin connection. i dont have it, but if thats the case then ill have 2 old power suplies in my pc :)

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TrippinJiminey

the 6600gt is the less expensive and faster.

21 grams

TRIBE Member
ok, help me to choose.

1 - XFX GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / HDTV - 226.99
2 - PNY GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / Video Card - 226.99
3 - Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 229.99
4 - nVidia GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8x / DVI / TV-OUT / Video Card - 229.99
5 - Connect3D Radeon 9600XT / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 236.99
6 - XFX GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 236.99
7 - Chaintech GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 256.99

what would you suggest?

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 21 grams
ok, help me to choose.

3 - Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 229.99
4 - nVidia GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8x / DVI / TV-OUT / Video Card - 229.99
5 - Connect3D Radeon 9600XT / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 236.99
6 - XFX GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 236.99
7 - Chaintech GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card - 256.99

what would you suggest?
any one of the 6600gt's
way faster than the 9600xt and significantly faster than the 9800pro
plus they overclock very well.
i think they are also guarenteed for life, and most come with an overdrive option witch automaticly adjusts your clock speeds, this way you dont have to worrie about overclocking, the control pannel app does it for you.
oh and no loss of warranty
:)

21 grams

TRIBE Member

one of those then. but which one? same price, same everything :)

Stan

TRIBE Member

This one looks like the best deal. Only $10 more than the 128 meg card. Yeah, you probably won't see much difference in performance, but it's still a nice thing to have.

randyval

TRIBE Member
bench.JPG

Stan

TRIBE Member
Ahh I didn't see that it was just a regular 6600 and not a GT. In that case, then yes, the GT is definitely the better choice, even though it has less RAM.