• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Video card

21 grams

TRIBE Member
does anyone know anything about ATI RADEON 9600 XT 256MB AGP8X Video card w/TV DVI

f5_2.JPG

is it better then ATI RADEON 9600 PRO?

I just want a video card that will allow me to play cs 1.6 source, half life 2 and undergroud 2 on good graphic and no lags, and yet, dont want to spend 500 on it.. something good but affordable. any ideas? maybe RADEON 9200 or 9250, 9550?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
yes, the xt is better than the pro. i'm using a 9600xt based card myself.

its an ok card, and should run new 3D games on a "medium" setting fine, providing you have a decent cpu.

imho, you might wanna try for a 6600GT card... they're in that "sweet spot" where value meets quality. they generally run for about $250...

Stan

TRIBE Member
Yeah, seriously, for about $50 more than the 9600XT, you can get a Geforce 6600GT card, which is a MUCH better value for your money. The 9600 is a pretty old card now, and is on its last legs. A 6600GT is much newer, supports all the latest fancy shmancy graphics features like the full Directx9.0 set, and it'll run Doom 3, Half Life 2, Far Cry and just about any current game you can throw at it. If I was buying a new card today, that's probably what I'd get.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
if you do end up going with one of the 66-6800 NVIDIA cards try to find the BFG offering. BFG's NVidia boards come overclocked stock, and also have a lifetime warranty (so the overclocking is covered.)

You get a slightly faster card for pretty much the same price, and probably the best support in the biz.

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
i know it looks pretty for a computer-part and that it's got lots of red and that's good in my books because it's my favourite colour.

But you don't really care do you?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

21 grams

TRIBE Member
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB AGP Video Card - $399
BFG GeForce 6800GT - $649

pretty much just like the new ATI RADEON X800

BFGs are sweet graphic cards, a lot of money though...

how about: BFG GeForce FX 5500, FX 5500OC both for $189. Well, i guess price tells everything.

Yeah, i think i better buy a good video card now that will lass long, then buy something midle class and change them every year.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 21 grams

pretty much just like the new ATI RADEON X800

BFGs are sweet graphic cards, a lot of money though...

BFG are wayyyy overpriced. You can get a 6600GT 128M from MSI for $260 and overclock it yourself. You're honestly paying an extra $140 for an additional 6% performance difference. If you overclock the MSI video card yourself, that difference drops to about 2%.

The two most overpriced brands are BFG and Asus. MSI is just as good and much cheaper.

zoo

TRIBE Member
don't bother with anything slower than a 5700 or 9600 pro

the 9600 is much slower than the 9600 pro, and anything sub 5700 is much slower than the 5700

i would probably try to find a $250 ish card in the geforce 6600 range if buying a card for a really "now" system

if your system is a little older though, i suppose you could consider older cards like 9600/9700 5700/5900

anything with a number less than 5700 or 9600 PRO is actaully horrendously slow in comparison, don't even bother

Stan

TRIBE Member

Also, I don't know where you're getting that price from, but it's a serious rip-off. At http://www.icct.ca :

BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB GDDR3 w/ DVI, tv-out $278
BFG GeForce 6800GT OC 256MB GDDR3 w/ DVI, s-video out $518

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB GDDR3 w/ DVI, tv-out $278

this is a good price/value, although shopping around for a non bfg model might prove even cheaper

Liquidity

TRIBE Member

where are you getting these quotes from? canadacomputers has the bfg 6600 gt oc for $275 and the 6800gt for $519...

keztronic

TRIBE Member
another vouch for 6600 gt here .. i paid 250 for my xfx 6600gt from tigerdirect.ca a while ago.. before i upgraded the rest of my computer i was using it to play hl2 and doom 3 on my old athlon 1.2!

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
I paid next to nothing for my ATI RADEON 9600 SE 128 meg 8x AGP and it runs games like Battlefield Vietnam without a hitch. (that game takes more juice then the games you listed) So all in all, I don't think you'd need the higher end card. However, if you don't plan on making another upgrade for a while, grab the better card.

Remember, a lot has to do with how fast and how much memory your computer has too. It's just as important as the card itself in terms of gaming. (and everything else)

zoo

TRIBE Member
the 9600 SE is seriously underpowered, don't even consider that as a purchaseable card for a gaming system, unless you can find it for less than $50-60 and plan on upgrading in a year, AND don't play on playing any 'new' games like doom 3 / half-life 2 / far cry properly

the entire internet refers to the SE as the "Suck Edition" , "Slow Edition" , or "Stupid Edition" .. and i'm not making this up

google "9600 suck edition" ...
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=9600+"suck+edition"&meta=

"9600 slow edition" ..
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=9600+"slow+edition"&meta=

check out www.tomshardware.com for vga charts that show performances of vid cards, the 9600SE is acceptable for the gaming markets of 2002/2003, but nothing past

Last edited:

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by CLUSTER
Remember, a lot has to do with how fast and how much memory your computer has too. It's just as important as the card itself in terms of gaming. (and everything else)

gaming is solely video card dependent nowadays, cpu speeds, memory speeds, even memory amounts are almost negligable providing they are above a minimum level (256 megs ram, 1.2ghz cpu)

it's all video card, baby

take a look at xbox / gamecub / ps2 ... slow processors (like 700 mhz slow) but dedicated video processing cards allow them to churn out sophisticated low-res graphics like the best of them

Last edited:

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
gaming is solely video card dependent nowadays, cpu speeds, memory speeds, even memory amounts are almost negligable providing they are above a minimum level (256 megs ram, 1.2ghz cpu)

it's all video card, baby

Well, I had 512 megs of ram and a 1.7 ghz processor and I was running Raven Shield like pure shit, AND I couldn't even play Battlefield Vietnam at all. I kept my video card when I upgraded my system, now I'm running 1 gig ram and a 2.8 p4 system and the game runs smooth as butter, as does battlefield veitnam.

So from my experience, it has everything to do with your system as much as your card.

zoo

TRIBE Member
did you happen to reformat your computer after the upgrade, or reinstall the game on a new hard drive?

fragmented hard drives cause significant decreases in system performance, and bogged down windows installations hog system resources

the system requirements for that game are

Computer: 600 Mhz CPU
Memory: 128 Mb RAM
Operating System: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Video Card: 32MB Direct X 8.1 or higher
Drive Space: 400MB hard drive space
Sound Card: Direct X 8.0 compatible sound card
Internet/Network: 56k modem supported but not recommended

which is pretty basic / ancient, your specs already had far exceeded the system requirements, this leads me to believe that you did something in addition to upgrading cpu / ram