• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Video Card Suggestions!

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I have an MX440 and it's alright i guess but i cant play some games or games at their highest settings.

What would be the best card to get? Top o the line and bang for your buck?

I'm thinking i might jump to the ATI 9800 Pro 128meg for 340/plus tax. I'm a little worried at how it'll preform with my (sis?)-clone motherboard and small genaric psu.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Stan

TRIBE Member
Small generic PSU + $340 video card = BAD IDEA

Unless your computer is utterly crappy and you don't give a shit about the components, you really should get a better PSU. It's not like they're ridiculously expensive, either. It's only about $60 for a decent 350W.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rod_g

TRIBE Member
Just spotted on beyond3D that ATI’s future high end part R420 made a small appearance. According to the Dutch Tweakers.net, in a short part discussing the GDDR-3 graphics memory, which currently seems to have speeds @ 500 - 700MHz (thus that is 1 - 1.4GHz effective as it's Double Data Rate).

The more intersting part was that ATI demonstrated a demo of the upcoming, DirectX9 title, Colin McRae Rally 4 on R420, which was quoted as running at 2 - 3 time faster than present DirectX9 capable hardware. Beyond3D contacted ATI to verify if this was R420 and they stated that they had demonstrated the title running on their future "Next Generation Hardware" which is as good an confirmation of this being R420 as you can get.

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=1141

OTIS

TRIBE Member
When I grabbed my 9800 pro, my 330 Watt enermax died within 2 weeks. I picked up a Zalman 400 and she runs sweet now.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Otis what you running?

I'm running an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe / 2 sticks of OCZ Ram / S-ATA HDD / 9800 Pro 128 and one USB CF Card Reader...

And a few 80mm fans and one CPU fan.

Works fine with my Antec 300W.

pr0nstar :confused:

Stan

TRIBE Member
Antec is generally considered the best brand for PSU's. Enermax is better than no-name, but not really that great.

Having said that, I do have an Enermax 400W in my home computer, and it hasn't given me any problems so far.

rod_g

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
Antec is generally considered the best brand for PSU's. Enermax is better than no-name, but not really that great.

Having said that, I do have an Enermax 400W in my home computer, and it hasn't given me any problems so far.

I had an Antec 400W power supply and it power spiked to my mobo. Shorted out the the connector on the m/b, it was charred.

Have the Enermax 465 dualfan now, runs like a beaut

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Otis what you running?

I'm running an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe / 2 sticks of OCZ Ram / S-ATA HDD / 9800 Pro 128 and one USB CF Card Reader...

And a few 80mm fans and one CPU fan.

Works fine with my Antec 300W.

pr0nstar :confused:

I've got an Abit NF7-S 2.0, 2 ram dual channel, 2 drives (one SATA) DVD-R, SB Platinum with box, and a AMD 2500, 9800 pro 128.

It bears mentioning my Enermax was about 5 years old and this was the 4th ATX case it's seen.

My Zalman was expensive, but worth every penny as it's noise output is 30db max.