• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Video calling on cell phones

starr

TRIBE Member
HELP!

Can I even get this service in Canada? I've been on the rogers website and the Nokia one but I'm just confusing myself more. My dad is insistent that I get one of these as he hasn't seen me in a long while and I'm not making it out to the home country for at least a year and a half. But I have no idea if the service is even offered here or what phone options I have.

He thinks I'm lying and maybe I am, so I'm turning to Tribe for assistance. I haven't had a home phone, and I'd prefer not to set one up for this purpose alone, but if that's my only Video Calling option then so be it. But is it? Does the iPhone have video calling, because from what I can tell no.

:confused: :(

swenard

TRIBE Member
starr said:
HELP!

Can I even get this service in Canada? I've been on the rogers website and the Nokia one but I'm just confusing myself more. My dad is insistent that I get one of these as he hasn't seen me in a long while and I'm not making it out to the home country for at least a year and a half. But I have no idea if the service is even offered here or what phone options I have.

He thinks I'm lying and maybe I am, so I'm turning to Tribe for assistance. I haven't had a home phone, and I'd prefer not to set one up for this purpose alone, but if that's my only Video Calling option then so be it. But is it? Does the iPhone have video calling, because from what I can tell no.

:confused: :(
WHy not just use a webcam?

starr

TRIBE Member
I am not about to try and explain how to use a computer to my dad. He can't even sort out how to shut one off.

------

Also, could I buy a video cell phone elsewhere (if we don't sell them in Canada) and successfully activate that feature with a service provider here?

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
we do not have a cellular network in Canada that supports video calls yet.

the iPhone definitely does not do video calling, it doesn't even do MMS out of the box.

starr

TRIBE Member
Yeah, that's what I thought about the iPhone....it doesn't seem that innovate it when I was actually looking at the specs.

Blarg....how does my 3rd world home country have this and we don't yet.

So I have to look at landline video calling phones? Will we be getting video calling service in Canada by December, or even in Q1 2008? Anyone? Bueller? BUELLER?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
there will be no video calling avail in Canada until at least Q2 2008 from what i've gathered.

I suppose you could find some kind of a VOIP handset that does video calling, but I seriously think having your father fire up Skype at an internet cafe will prove to be a much easier solution.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
My one friend was promoting a phone like that here in Toronot, but he's in LA right now. When he comes back I will ask him about it.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
It's not that there aren't cellular handsets which support video calling, the problem is we don't have the bandwidth available to make it work.

deep

TRIBE Member
Astroboy said:
there will be no video calling avail in Canada until at least Q2 2008 from what i've gathered.

I suppose you could find some kind of a VOIP handset that does video calling, but I seriously think having your father fire up Skype at an internet cafe will prove to be a much easier solution.
And least costly

starr

TRIBE Member
My father would not enter an internet cafe ever. He would buy a computer before he did that. It would be different if he lived here, then maybe I could go through it with him in person, but it would involve far too much family politicking to get it sorted.

He has his heart set on buying a video cell phone, so clearly I must have one in order for him to justify it. Ah men!

Originally Posted by Astroboy

Thanks for the info people, I'll check out my video phone landline options and go from there.

Any recommendations on those from anyone.....OR could I call his cell phone if I had a Skype account?

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
sure, you can call a cell phone from a skype account, but it's not going to support video calling.

If money is not an object, have your dad buy both of you one of the brand new iMacs (margins are reduced by a good 35% over previous generations, making them much more affordable) then you can turn on the computer, plug it into the internet, and operate a single program (iChat) to video conference with him seamlessly and effortlessly.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
My sister's fiance used this feature at there pre wedding tradition ceremonies so she could watch him and his friends be tortured by the brides maids, while in the comfort of her room. Totally cool. Canada sucks.

starr

TRIBE Member
Astroboy said:
sure, you can call a cell phone from a skype account, but it's not going to support video calling.
So I can only webcam to webcam another Skype user? Because I've done that before. Webcam via Skype to video phone is a totally different ballgame all-together?

If money is not an object, have your dad buy both of you one of the brand new iMacs (margins are reduced by a good 35% over previous generations, making them much more affordable) then you can turn on the computer, plug it into the internet, and operate a single program (iChat) to video conference with him seamlessly and effortlessly.
It's not really an object. I'm not opposed to this iMac idea, but would it work as seamlessly if I bought a MacBook and he bought the iMac? Yes, right? And is the plug-and-"play" functionality REALLY that simple? I suppose iChat is already on the iMac, as opposed to talking him through downloading Skype - likely a 3 or 4 (or more) hour nightmare. I suppose he could try it first and then we could go from there or perhaps I could buy it here and set it up for him and then ship it over to Sri-Lanka?

That seems like a better idea.

Last edited:

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
I'd go with the buying it here, setting it up, then sending to him.

It will absolutely work between a macbook and a new imac, they all have the integrated iSight.

The biggest advanatage of buying the machines here, setting up, then shipping, is that you could configure Apple Remote Desktop such that once your dad gets the machine, he can plug it in, turn it on, open 1 website, and send you the information you need to log in, and remotely control the computer for him. Then you can worry about opening iChat, and accepting, or sending a chat invite to you.

You definitely can not video call from Skype to a cellular handset, you could conceivably do so with a VOIP handset not tied to a cell provider, but that could turn into a logistical nightmare.

hope all this helps!

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
Rogers has the video calling feature as part of their Vision service. From what I can gather on the website, you've got coverage in Toronto. The only thing I can't seem to find is which phones are video capable and if video calling is a feature you can get on its own without the full Vision service. A call to customer service may be the best bet.

starr

TRIBE Member
Astroboy said:
I'd go with the buying it here, setting it up, then sending to him.

It will absolutely work between a macbook and a new imac, they all have the integrated iSight.

The biggest advanatage of buying the machines here, setting up, then shipping, is that you could configure Apple Remote Desktop such that once your dad gets the machine, he can plug it in, turn it on, open 1 website, and send you the information you need to log in, and remotely control the computer for him. Then you can worry about opening iChat, and accepting, or sending a chat invite to you.

You definitely can not video call from Skype to a cellular handset, you could conceivably do so with a VOIP handset not tied to a cell provider, but that could turn into a logistical nightmare.

hope all this helps!
It totally helps, thanks!

I was planning on getting a laptop over Christmas anyway, so it's just a few months earlier. And now he can have his own laptop...what he does with it other than call me is his own business.

I owe you a beer or sumfin :)

starr

TRIBE Member
Phat Trick said:
Rogers has the video calling feature as part of their Vision service. From what I can gather on the website, you've got coverage in Toronto. The only thing I can't seem to find is which phones are video capable and if video calling is a feature you can get on its own without the full Vision service. A call to customer service may be the best bet.
Thanks for this tip also. I'll definitely call their customer service. I found a few links about it, one that says it only works if you're using it in the Golden Horseshoe, to someone else in the Golden Horseshoe, but I guess I should be 100%.

starr

TRIBE Member
Boooo.

In the event that you attempt to make a Video call to someone outside the Rogers Vision coverage area, or to a non- Rogers Vision handset, you will be prompted to make a regular voice call before call completion occurs.
http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/services/vision/faqs.asp?shopperID=773NCSHQALFE9KTEMFNVNPEX0QKJFTXB
and also confirmed by a call centre rep.
but look how pretty the phone was (although it didn't get great reviews on cellphone.ca):

i guess it's laptop city here i come.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
Chicago Kid said:
Can't wait until we get 3G here in the US/Canada and I can start video calling on my N95.
you DO realize that the N95 we both have, is the Euro/Asia version, and will never work on the North American 3G spectrum right???

Nokia has just announced a newly redesigned N95 for the North American Market. It won't have the sliding lens cover, and comes with a larger battery standard.

sorry if you were mis-informed when making your purchase dude.

billy

TRIBE Member
starr - you need to open your father to the digital world. my mom was clueless to any of this less than a year ago, and now she has her own machine, is hosting photos and doing research on a family history project.

webcam conversations can be simple and free using msn messenger. just walk him through it. i did it with my mom and it takes time, but it is such an affordable route to go (well, beyond the expense of a computer, but a basic machine is really not that expensive anymore).

billy

TRIBE Member
p.s. do you want to have a video conversation on a tiny mobile phone screen or full screen on your monitor? it's the way to go especially when connnecting with people from far away.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
get him an xbox360 and the camera for it. its like the apple/AOL of video-conversations (aka so easy and noob-friendly a monkey could do it)

i know one guy who got his grandma a 360 specifically for this.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories