• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Vice

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
awesome, thanks MoFo!

wakipaki: huh. i guess Vice is just for ignorant wannabes... the guy who goes to the flavellas in Brazil was pretty fuckin funny though.

toney

TRIBE Member
The fact that it's free and NIL smoking ads gives them high credibility.
VICE guide to travel was very entertaining.
Havnt seen their latest doc on Heavymetal in Iraq - ballsy

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
Vice, it can be argued, is tired.

Bashing Vice is super super tired.

We get it, you all are too cool for school.

Last edited:

diablo

TRIBE Member
jungleboy said:
Vice, it can be argued, is tired.

Bashing Vice is super super tired.

We get it, you all are too cool for school.
"I remember when Vice was called Voice and one issue had a picture of my friend in it. Now it sucks."

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Leslie Arfin was the best of the latest Vice generation. Now she's gone and I don't read the magazine anymore.

deca.dance

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
this site is awesome, thanks

now i know what kind of skinny pants to buy
shuttie. i just found it through the interweb. sometimes i post girl in zee hawt section form here. ok maybe once..

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Vice was the shit back in the day, when Gavin was still an owner and writing 90% of the articles.

The End

Edit: Junglissa - I cleaned out my old desk a while ago and have a bunch of issues here. If you want them, they're yours for freeeeeeeee.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Vice goes to Kazantip is all kinds of awesome.

Really though, sensational or not, Vice is far more entertaining than most everything else out there. If you can show me a source of media entertainment that caters to the younger more liberal minded group on as consistent of a basis, please share.

Vice guide to North Korea = Awesome

Even the story about the columbian exterminators that hunt the homeless junkies in the sewers was fascinating (and sad).

I don't read the print version at all, but I must say VBS.tv is great.

saskboy

TRIBE Member
fuck, if you gonna bash, at least get your facts right

the magazine isn't the focus anymore

they make way dough off of idiots on the internet (like you)

VICE is that simple easy idea that we all thought we could have come up with, and it pisses you all off to no end that it wasn't you

thunderthunder

TRIBE Member
i still like it, its good to know what people have to say even if you choose to put it aside.

i pick up a copy then head across the street to alibabas for their chicken shwarma. perfect ambiance of roasting meat and stinkydelicious sauce. Read vice jammin down a schwarma while crackheads roam the street outside.

When will this generation take charge? when we get sick of distractedly gorging on all the pretty flesh around us and begin the real conversation.

The internet gives me hope! (Tho i have been known to devour a shwarma sitting here too shh.)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
fuck, if you gonna bash, at least get your facts right

the magazine isn't the focus anymore

they make way dough off of idiots on the internet (like you)

VICE is that simple easy idea that we all thought we could have come up with, and it pisses you all off to no end that it wasn't you
wonder what happened to this guy. i used to live with him and he was creepy as fuck.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Could be a reckoning for Vice in the offing.... Hearing their advertising revenue not up to expectations, Facebook and google eating all the ad dollars...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a reckoning for Vice in the offing.... Hearing their advertising revenue not up to expectations, Facebook and google eating all the ad dollars...
As someone who started a programmatic ad network 4 years ago I can tell you that Google and Facebook "the oligopoly" are sucking most for the ad dollars out of the ecosystem (most in the trade agree it is 80-90%). Nobody in the industry has figured out a way around it, so acceptance has set in and media companies are scrambling for other ways to make money. The best solution so far seems to be subscription models (like the New York Times is doing intensely). CPM rates for display ads have been plummeting.

There is also this net neutrality reversal thing, which could squeeze Vice between the oligopoly and the distribution networks like Verizon and AT&T.

I suspect they will probably be bought out by a distribution network eventually.