• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Venezuelan anger at computer game

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Venezuelan politicians have complained about a forthcoming "shoot-em-up" computer game that simulates an invasion of the South American nation.

In production by Los Angeles-based Pandemic Studios, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames is based around the overthrow of an imaginary Venezuelan "tyrant".

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has long accused the US of planning to invade, something Washington denies.

His supporters say the game aims to drum up support for a real invasion.

'Realistic possibility'

Pandemic has insisted that the title - due to be released next year - is solely about entertainment.

"Pandemic has no ties to the US government," Greg Richardson, the firm's vice president of commercial operations, told the Associated Press.

"Pandemic Studios is a private company, focusing solely on the development of interactive entertainment."

Yet Pandemic's publicist Chris Norris said its designers "always want to have a rip from the headlines".

He added: "Although a conflict doesn't necessarily have to be happening, it's realistic enough to believe that it could eventually happen."

However, on its website Pandemic lists a game called "Full Spectrum Warrior / Army Training", which it describes as a "squad-level, dismounted, light infantry training simulator created for use by the US Army".

Messes with oil

Mr Chavez and the US have been at daggers drawn for most of the eight years since he came to power in 1998.

In addition to repeatedly accusing Washington of seeking to overthrow him, Mr Chavez has greatly increased state control over its oil industry, the world's fourth largest, and responsible for 15% of US supplies.

In Mercenaries 2: World In Flames, gamers play soldiers sent to overthrow "a power-hungry tyrant [who] messes with Venezuela's oil supply, sparking an invasion that turns the country into a war zone".

Venezuelan congressman Ismael Garcia, a supporter of Mr Chavez, said the computer game was preparation work for a real invasion.

"I think the US government knows how to prepare campaigns of psychological terror so they can make things happen later," he said.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/5016514.stm

--------------------------------------

I played the first Mercenaries and it was pretty fucking good. I really enjoyed the fuel air bombs and dropping them on North koreans.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Adam

TRIBE Member
I've always wondered what veterans think about these games. I've only played one or two recent ones (Medal Of Honour, maybe?), but some of them are quite intense and are becoming more 'realistic' all the time. What would someone who actually stormed the beaches at Normandy think about me recreating it for entertainment?

Maybe they're thankful that msot of our generation's sole encounter with this type of scenario will be in a fun simulation.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
I seem to recall that the developers of the last Syphon Filter game had a Toronto level design in which the protagonist was fighting a FLQ like bio-chem attack in TO subways.

I think the PQ gov got all pissed off and the level was removed for NA release.

Colm

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I played the first Mercenaries and it was pretty fucking good. I really enjoyed the fuel air bombs and dropping them on North koreans.

It was highly enjoyable for a bit, in a deranged senseless violence sort of way. Venezuela isn't exactly a 'pariah state' in the same mould of North Korea, Iran or even China, but I guess we'll just have to make do with the least politically sensitive of rogue states for the time being.

Hey, what about that National Post article?

atbell

TRIBE Member
Finnaly people are starting to gain a better understanding of how video games effect minds.

I wonder when people will realize that Sid Meyers Civilization games are all about taking over the world and eradicating other cultures?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
atbell said:
I wonder when people will realize that Sid Meyers Civilization games are all about taking over the world and eradicating other cultures?

I thought they (video games) were about abstract symbol manipulation, repetitive stress disorder, and absorbing screen radiation!

,g

atbell

TRIBE Member
^^^^

Quite right, I only play games because I need to get the white off of my face in winter and am completly terrified of tanning beds.

triplem

TRIBE Member
Hal-9000 said:
I seem to recall that the developers of the last Syphon Filter game had a Toronto level design in which the protagonist was fighting a FLQ like bio-chem attack in TO subways.

I think the PQ gov got all pissed off and the level was removed for NA release.

iirc, the feds complained as well and there was an email-protest thing going on as well.

They only removed the level for the NA? :(