1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Veggie Garden 2010

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Apr 26, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Any tomato growing TRIBErs put your plants in the ground yet? Duncan? Anyone? I have some heirlooms I have grown from seed on my windowsill that look like they are jonesing to get outdoors.... Is it too early to put them outside?
  2. SolChild

SolChild TRIBE Promoter

Yes. Im buying plants and I was told this weekend to still wait a couple weeks.
    They dont even have plants yet.
  3. alexd

I have seen tomato seedlings for sale in a few places already but I guess I will wait.

I have Swiss CHard (the multicolor kind) in the ground growing already although it is really tiny. Also have a whole bed of mesclun assorted greens that just broke the ground.

I am going to be so vitamin A'd!!
  4. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Ours are still sitting in small pots in our front room; despite the above average temps will probably wait until mid-May to put them to soil.

This year:

tomatoes, kale, arugula, lettuce, hot peppers, yellow pole beans, short sunflowers, basil, chives

That's about all our planters will accommodate. Last year we went for cucumbers and bell peppers, but realised we didn't have enough of a soil base to get a decent yield. That, and the incessant rain...

Haven't even planted anything and we're already waging combat against the squirrels - cayenne for now, but I'm thinking of stepping it up with chicken wire and a decent sized battery. Think a 12V will stun the little shits enough to make 'em think twice about rooting around in our boxes?
  5. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

definitely do not put your tomatoes in the ground yet.

wait till at least after may 24, and still be on frost watch.

i'm super excited because i take possession of my house on May 25th, and so i will be able to plant my veggie garden at home this year.
  6. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

cayenne gets in their eyes and then they scratch their eyes out. Not the most humane treatment.

If you cover your boxes with chicken wire, and let the plants grow through that they won't be able to dig. Also, they don't seem to like basil much, so intersperse that with the other plants.
  7. WestsideWax

Fair enough.
  8. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

If you really wanted to try 1 or 2 tom plants under soemthing like this...

So far in the ground I have...spinach, greens, mustard greens, arugula, 9 kinds of beets, 16 rows of sugar snap peas, 8 rows of shell peas, daikon, french breakfast and easter egg radish, 10 kinds of carrots, salsify, chard, parsnip. inside started and waiting for transplant are: Toms, eggplant, cauliflower, borccoli, herbs, leeks, celeriac, celery and peppers.
  9. sarafina

sarafina TRIBE Member

No garden or outdoor space at all this year for me :( But I've started stuff anyway lol. I have ~30 varieties of tomatoes, just starting to poke their way through the soil. Plus some hot and sweet peppers, kale, chard, arugula, spinach. I only have one donor in mind so far, so if all goes well I'll have tons of extra seedlings to give away if anyone is interested.
  10. WestsideWax

Here we grow...

basil clone, ready to hit the dirt

no squirrels were harmed in the chicken wiring of these planters

Now all we need is some freakin' rain.
  11. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I think the world would be a bit better with a few less squirrels.
  12. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

Would it be better with a few less groundhogs too?

Flower Bed Complete with World Cup Windmill. GOB is making a banner, coming soon...

Radishes and Spinach

The Matrix of Peas

Giant wasp? nest I found inside the windmill

Ice Plant
  13. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

^ Ooooh, what are the ice plants?

Anyone know where I can get arugula seeds near Yonge/Bloor? Canadian Tire doesn't carry 'em. I know they'll be available at a proper gardening store but don't feel like tramping all over the city to find them.
  14. alexd

I am already eating tasty salad greens out of my garden! Different kinds of baby lettuces and arugula. Also in a week I will begin picking some swiss chard leaves. I am totally surprised at my gardening skills must say...
  15. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

I'm growing the iceplant as a micro green for some restaurants. It gets a really nice glimmer to it when the leaves crystalize. They taste really neat, very juicy with a bit of a lemony/salty taste.