• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Vegetables you hate

Persephone

TRIBE Member
1. kale
2. kale
3. brussels sprouts
4. lima beans
ha! I like all of these. But the tuscan kale is definitely superior to the more traditional variety we see at the grocery.

hmmm...veggies that I hate. its a strong word, I don't hate any. But I'd say that I'm not terribly enthused about the carrot on its own, though I use it in my cooking regularly.

Both kale and brussell sprouts are awesome if braised and then sauteed with a bit of bacon. baconpan

acheron

TRIBE Member
fucking okra. it's slimey seeds locked inside a little peachfuzz covered jacket. You want it to be like a hot pepper but instead it's like a fucking nightmare.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
1. Broccoli (I get the worst bloating from it.. therefore it is my enemy)
2. Kale (I swear if I hear about that green one more time or read it on a menu I WILL destroy something near to me)
3. Cilantro (It overwhelms EVERYTHING in a dish. All I can taste is cilantro and salt)

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Cut brussell sprouts in half. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and put in roasting tray. Roast at 400C for 20-25 minutes.

They taste amazing. Even better if you add some bacon. You can also skewer them and do them on the BBQ.

I grew up having to eat boiled brussell sprouts and I used to hate them too.

Roasted Kale is good stuff too.

Don't like:

Carrots on their own
Radish
Cilantro

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Ummm, cilantro isn't a vegetable is it? i thought herbs were separate, but i could be wrong.

The only vegetable i really dislike is asparagus. I don't even hate it but would rather not eat it if i can help it. The worst part is i don't even get the smelly pee business, i just don't like it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
People also need to learn how to cook okra.

- cook them whole
- soak them in vinegar and water
- use acids
- dry them as much as possible and cook them at room temp
- BBQ or don't overcrowd

This should reduce the slime or produce no slime at all.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
1 green peppers
2 red peppers
3 yellow peppers
4 eggplant

of course many restaurants like to use peppers to add "colour" so I often come off sounding picky as I'm always having to say no peppers...

I don't like the taste for one, but also they make me belch awful, and all I can taste is peppers for two days. ew.

On the flipside I love cilantro! but it is an herb so not sure it counts? More of a garnish then a getting a large serving of cilantro on your plate... lol

MoFo

TRIBE Member
So the people who don't like cilantro, is it that soap taste that people talk about?

I can eat cilantro whole, no problem. The more, the better. I feel bad for people who taste the soapiness. Something about genetics?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Omg, eggplant bharta, grilled eggplant, deep fried eggplant with shrimp at dim sum with sweet black bean sauce... Ugh, so good.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
So the people who don't like cilantro, is it that soap taste that people talk about?

I can eat cilantro whole, no problem. The more, the better. I feel bad for people who taste the soapiness. Something about genetics?
It is genetic. Some people will taste the soapiness. I personally don't. I just find it very overwhelming and drowns out all the other flavours in a dish. I'm like that with tarragon too. This is why i personally avoid Mexican restaurants - they put that shit on everything - and a lot of it.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
For those that hate green peas. Boil frozen green peas in salted water, strain them and immediately put them in an ice bath. Then blend/mash them together with mint , a small amount of mashed potato and butter (or olive oil if vegan). This should change your opinion of them. I converted my GF from being a life long hater of green peas with this recipe.

erika

TRIBE Member
None that I actually hate.
Having said that:
I can really do without cucumbers except in maki rolls (and please no cucumber water - makes me burp to death)

The only time I will use a green pepper is if I'm making a tomato/red wine pasta sauce, so rarely.

Eggplants are mostly yucky because they grown them much too big here (as they typically do with green beans and zucchini), but if you slice them thinly and cook them over low heat so the sweetness emerges, I like that. I use it as a base for a tian, or else put one in a ratatouille.

And okra is great to thicken a stew. As for asparagus, I love them!

Kale is alright but way too a la mode; no more kale/quinoa combos please!

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I can't deal with raw onion or mushrooms. Both have to be cooked and chopped up finely. Shitake mushrooms own all other mushrooms.

I can't get into Olives at all.

I'm not terribly enthusiastic about Green peppers. I'll eat them, but other peppers look down on them.

Everything else is great. Mofo's comment about how to cook Brussell Sprouts is on the nose.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Hoo boy does my man make a good eggplant parmigiana. The secret is you have to prepare the eggplant properly, drawing the moisture out with salt and pressure. Use some good smoked gouda and it's like a smoky lasagne that's meat free.

Ditto on Olives. Most just don't taste good to me, esp. when eaten whole.

erika

TRIBE Member
^
The only olives I really like are the sun-dried ones, black, that look all shrivelled up. I don't particularly care for the big briny variety.