• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Vegans Rejoice

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
if it tastes good and is from a less impactful resource then why the fuck not !

less cows = less methane, less food for cows so more can go to humans. GOOD.

all y'all haters that are gonna hate on science can go HIGGS BOSUN yourself.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I was a vegetarian for 5 years - could never have given up cheese.

Still think it will be quite some time before we get a decent variety of cheese made this way, so I'll have to keep eating from real cows for a few decades I bet...

djfear

TRIBE Member
Good stuff. My gf is vegan and those cheese substitutes aren't very good at all.

The cool part about all of this food science is that some of this technology will end up promoting future types of ways to create food in difficult environments, e.g. up in space, in Antarctica, etc.

Tea, earl grey, hot.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya imagine - you're on mars and able to create real, awesome cheese!

THis application of this tech is not much considered by John Q Public

djfear

TRIBE Member
One of the hardest things I learned about being with a vegan is just the sheer lack of restaurant options when you're traveling, or even in Toronto specifically. The biggest problem is that a restaurant is either 100% vegan or not at all, and I don't eat that "faux meat" stuff and like I said before, that vegan cheese isn't good.

Having said that, I've also learned that it helps to just ask the restaurant to make something and some executive chefs are up for the challenge. She's been pleasantly surprised by a few restaurants that were able to whip up an awesome menu: Bar Isabel, Montecito was another, and even Mildred's in Liberty had some great stuff.

Also, I'm convinced that TBC has the best donuts, ever. On another note, I can't wait to bake & eat my Ontario lamb shanks at home... Mmmmm.... la-a-a-a-a-a-a-amb.

praktik

TRIBE Member
To be a successful vegan it helps to be a super enthusiastic cook, have an array of good equipment and get used to having lentils and beans soaking on the regular.

I have some vegan friends that eat amazingly well, but its essentially a lifelong hobby that takes a lot of hours from them.

I was ok at being a vegetarian, but even that was extra effort and I frequently ate poorly as a vegetarian - actually in a less nutritious way then as a meat eater since I didnt have the know-how/skills to really keep it up in a way I could sustain.

Was testing my willpower and it worked - quit smokes successfully partially on the back of knowing i could deny myself something I loved - but couldnt stay away from meat forever!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I don't understand why anyone would go to so much effort to live in a way their bodies were never meant to. Are there any vegans that live in the water too? Aquavegans: the next level of indignation.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I don't understand why anyone would go to so much effort to live in a way their bodies were never meant to. Are there any vegans that live in the water too? Aquavegans: the next level of indignation.
We're a simple and confusing species. Some people feel too much guilt in killing animals, especially these days where we're so removed from the process. Kind of like PETA & ISIS, they produce crisp propaganda videos to get their message across, showing pictures and videos of tortured & slaughtered living beings.

Anyway, what's not confusing is the fact that I just associated PETA with ISIS, but I still think it's logical to see that certain people choose to not eat meat because lambs are too cute to be inside our tummy.

Mmmm.... lamb...

baconpan <-- later tonight for me.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Fair enough, but seems ironic to me that the "healthy" vegans are eating food from a laboratory. At least you know what's in a lamb chop.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Fair enough, but seems ironic to me that the "healthy" vegans are eating food from a laboratory. At least you know what's in a lamb chop.
Honestly, I don't think vegan diets are healthy at all. You need to really count all of your nutritional information to make sure there's enough iron in your diet, prots, and all of those other vitamins and nutrients so you're not getting sick or feeling low energy.

All that "tempeh" and soy based products aren't for me. A vegetarian diet seems to be the better option to strive a balance between not killing animals (though the inhumane treatment is still debatable), and still getting everything that you need.

... anyway ... these lamb shanks are in the oven now. It smells so yummy... Mmmm. :)